Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Headaches.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Headaches.
Shinri
Neophyte
Member # 5343

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Shinri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you do when you've got a really bad headache, and you're afraid to take asprin for it?
Posts: 39 | From: Vangroovy, Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, i've never had asprin, but what works best for me, depending on the headache is IB profun, or advil cold and sinus if it's a bad sinus headache. What works for me is 3 reg. IB's, and 2 reg. advils. But before following someone else's medicinal advice on here, i'd ask your docter what they recommend you take, as your dose could be drastically different from mine.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you take an appropriate dose of tylenol.

have you tried drinking water first? a lot of times when i have headache, it's 'cause i'm dehydrated. are you on the computer a lot? it could be eyestrain. are they super intense, accompanied by weird spasms, blindness or vomiting and have lasted for a day or two? it could be an aneurysm (in which case, hurry to a doctor!!!)
anyway, aspirin is generally not recommended for persons under 18 because of a link to Reyes syndrome in cases where children taking aspirin while sick with the chicken pox came down with severe complications.

------------------
oh, don't even po-mo me, baby...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shinri
Neophyte
Member # 5343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shinri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tylenol, asprin, ibuprofen, etc, I'd rather stay away from. Side effects of painkillers = more headaches.

Oh, and I'm 19 going on 20 (at end of April!) so I'm not too worried about Reyes syndrome, but I was just wondering if there were any alternative ways of getting rid of headaches WITHOUT resorting to painkillers/drugs.

Posts: 39 | From: Vangroovy, Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, too many things can cause headaches to really pin down one effective treatment (hence the water, tylenol, etc...).

there's an old wives tale that says if you pinch your ears with clothespnis, you won't have a headache anymore. i've tried this, and they're right. no more headaches. the side effects, though, are sore ears.

------------------
oh, don't even po-mo me, baby...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, i have this thing that i rarely take any medication, i mean, i've never been seriously ill, so whenever i have headaches, stomachaches, or even a cold or something, i just wait for it to heal itself. i never take any pills, and i'll only do so if a doctor says i need them.

most of the times headaches are caused because we are tired or something, so they'll probably go away after some hours... lying down and relax or sleep can help while it lasts

------------------
~Sallynha
The Beautiful Smile Hides The Troubled Soul

ICQ# 123898306

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killer_raincoat
Activist
Member # 6610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killer_raincoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i'm not sure if asprin and excedrin are similar, but i take excedrin and i find it works well.

------------------
"Everybody thinks i'm such a horrible person, but i have the heart of a little boy. In a jar. On my desk." -Stephen King

Posts: 212 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you get headaches regularly? If so, you could try making a journal of what was going on around you when you got the headache--perhaps something specific is triggering your headaches.

Aromatherapy could also be beneficial. Mixing essential oils with a carrier oil (such as vitamin e oil, jojoba, almond oil, etc) and applying them to your skin, or using a diffuser (a device that diffuses essential oil into the air) can really help. Some recommended oils are lavender, peppermint, spearmint, and chamomile.

------------------
Ash
Scarleteen Advocate
"The level of our success is limited only by our imagination and no act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted"--Aesop

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tel'kella
Neophyte
Member # 6109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tel'kella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
there's an old wives tale that says if you pinch your ears with clothespnis, you won't have a headache anymore. i've tried this, and they're right. no more headaches. the side effects, though, are sore ears.

Another thing that works is firmly massaging the webby bit of skin between your thumb and index finger with your other thumb. Sounds crazy, but I find it works wonders for stress headaches.

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Activist
Member # 3426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some other possible causes of headaches:

Caffeine addiction. I only drink two cups of tea a day, but if I don't have them right on schedule, I get a headache. So, either get your fix at the same time each day, or kick the habit.

Food allergies or sensitivities. I have problems with the sulfites they put in wine, so any wine or food that's made with wine gives me a headache, even if it's just a little bit. It actually took me forever to figure this out. So, if you're keeping a "headache diary" like Ashy said, also keep track of what you eat and drink.

Dehydration. GG said this already, but it's worth repeating. I remember reading somewhere that something like 95% of all headaches are caused by dehydration. (I don't claim that this number is exactly right, but I don't doubt that it's close.) Keep yourself hydrated.

Posts: 107 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tasha
Activist
Member # 6784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get headaches very often, and I hate taking stuff for them, so i'll usually just take a short nap or make a cup of hot (chamomile or green) tea to nurse myself through them, or do the thumb-forefinger massage thing, or else you can try to massage the area by your temples. If it's really bad, tho, I'll take 2 Advil.

I went to see my doctor about all the headaches I was always getting, and he named flourescent lighting as a possible problem. Try to stay clear of bright flourescent lights, maybe, if that seems to be effecting you at all. That's why keeping a headache journal of sorts might help you figure out what's triggering your headaches. Other words of advice from my doctor: stay away from sugary or salty or highly caffineated foods, and make sure you are eating enough vitamins and fruits and veggies--if not, maybe look into talking to a doctor about taking vitamin supplements.

------------------
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

share your opinion: http://www.geocities.com/tkaterisha/

Posts: 68 | From: Brooklyn, NY (Ev,IL right now tho) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.