Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » XTC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: XTC
Ryuu
Activist
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I stopped watching TV due to my infatuation with music, I remember Loveline always got occasional calls about the drug ecstasy, so I know this has got to be an on-subject topic. The drug was hardly very popular when I was a freshman in high school when I was taking a semester long required health class. So it got absolutely no mention. I'm just curious how much attention it's been getting from health class teachers since its recent surge in popularity. Post your view points too on this issue as well, especially how it relates to your romantic relationships.
Posts: 82 | From: Colorado, US | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about America, but ever since a suburban White Middle Class Australian girl died as a result of ecstasy taking about five years ago, there's been a big deal about teaching kids not to take ecstacy. Of course the fact that a heap of kids who didn't fit into that socio-economic group had also died from the drug seemed to escape the media's attention, but that's another matter.

Personally, I have no desire to try the drug. It sounds incredibly dangerous. If you want a high, go hang-gliding.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh, for the luv of GAWD! stay away from E!!!

What E does is it stimulates your brain to release your pleasure neurotransmitter, serotonin. Then, instead of allowing your nerves to recollect the serotonin for later use, it stays out there, continually triggering your neurons (i.e., it keeps pushing your brain's pleasure buttons!). This is what causes the euphoric rush.

But when you come down, your brain has less serotonin in it. So next time you take a hit, it won't feel as good. in fact, nothing will feel as good. This goes for sex (yeah, serotonin is a big part of why sex feels good!) food, and whatever other stimuli you enjoy.

and now with the popularity of the drug, dealers are spiking pills with cheaper substitutes, such as: DXM (dextromethorphan -- extracted from cough syrup) and PMA (paramethoxyampthetamine). Both of these are incredibly powerful stimulants which kill by elevating body temperature and causing the person to dehydrate (body sweats off a lot of water trying to cool itself) and then pushing the cardiovascular system into overdrive (heart attack).

In June, three Chicago teenagers died from taking contaminated E.

references:
http://www.sfgate.com

SF Chronicle. Friday, July 21, 2000. "The Ecstacy and the Agony: Group tries to reduce risk by testing pills" Mark Martin.

------------------
i think you're special ... and i don't mean that in a short bus kind of way

[This message has been edited by Gumdrop Girl (edited August 24, 2000).]

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spiral
Activist
Member # 533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
E is SOOOOO WRONG! Stay away from it. Someone very close to me almost died. She's my neighbor and Her boyfriend had to call the paramedics. I didn't know what was going on until he told me. It was like 4 in the morning. She totaly freaked out. I did too. You don't mess with drugs, not any kind. It's not "cool". Please don't ever try any.

------------------
Jenny kissed me when we met, jumping from the chair she sat in;
Time, you thief, who love to get sweets into your list, put that in:
Say I'm weary, say I'm sad, say that health and wealth have missed me, say I'm growing old, but add,
Jenny kissed me.
-Leigh Hunt
(1838)

[This message has been edited by Spiral (edited August 24, 2000).]

Posts: 88 | From: Los angeles,Ca,USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one thing about E: it hardly ever has MDMA in it anymore, and if it does, it's very little. It's usually a bunch of crap thrown together that cause all sorts of weird reactions, including death.

I, myself have never witnessed ecstacy-related deaths first hand, but I know that they -are- possible.

------------------
where is fancy bred? In the heart, or in the head?

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenie_Ruben
Activist
Member # 1043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenie_Ruben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
at my school last year my freshman year (high school) that drug was very big i never took it i was tol that the drug does something to you five years after you have taken it is that true and if yes what are the affects

------------------
I <3 Ruben 4 EVER

[This message has been edited by Jenie_Ruben (edited August 24, 2000).]

Posts: 48 | From: N/A | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuu
Activist
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some excellent responses here. Starpoet mentions one of the main concerns with the drug; it's illegal status makes for too many phony pills. There was a time, the 80s I think, when MDMA was legal. Psychiatrists used it all the time in marriage counseling and **** like that. That is why I thought it might spark some interesting debates on its role in relationship-devolopment. I have read of experiences on ecstasy.org where persons would discover they were in love with someone while on the drug. I commend the site's former webmaster, Nicholas Saunders, as he firmly believed in the responsible and therapeutic use of the drug.

It is in fact true, too, that Ecstasy causes brain damage. When the brain runs out of serotonin, the synapses become void of the serotonin cells (obviously). When this happens, the serotonin cells, by mistake, take in dopamine (another neurotransmitter) which is then turned into hydrogen peroxide inside the cell, which then oxidises (destroys) the cell.

From some of the other posts, I can see a near mirror reflection of the kind of passionate opinion presented and injected into those in health classes. So in a way, that addresses one of my presented issues. I'm curious as to whether they mention the role of SSRIs as a neuroprotective agent. It so happens if you take one after the roll is over, all brain damage can be averted (some of you will want a source for this one: www.dancesafe.org; see Ecstasy Slideshow). They essentially occupy the reuptakers of the serotonin cell, preventing them from making the mistake of "reuptaking" a dopamine molecule.

Despite that though, I've seen quite a few people have weird reactions to the drug. I am very interested as to why this happens to some and not others, particularly when dealing with several pills of a single batch. Everyone's different of course. That's the heart of the answer.

I would love to write more, but I must be heading to school now, and I want to see what kind of responses have come up while there.

Posts: 82 | From: Colorado, US | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d1TzY8
Activist
Member # 372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d1TzY8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You said that ecstacy causes brain damage...ALLLLLL drugs cause brain damage. I have a friend who smokes weed (I can honestley say I have NEVER tried it and dont plan on it.) I have tried to get him to quit, but he wont. He is literally fried. He is always high, and he is a complete sex fanatic...

------------------
WoRD!

Posts: 316 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spiral
Activist
Member # 533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weed can be a gateway, I know that first hand.Not with me but with other people. The high isn't there anymore so they reach for something stronger. I've done laced weed in the past and it wasn't pretty. By body couldn't take it. Thats when i was like what the F***. I know a guy whose done it all well except shoot up, and man does he regret ever touching anything. He's always shaking and lost in the head. He says he's gonna stop becuase it's too much allready. I'm there to support him, ofcourse.
Drugs are ILLEGAL, meaning do not use them. Keep clean, you are not missing out on anything. Drugs are bad, BAD BAD BAD.

------------------
Jenny kissed me when we met, jumping from the chair she sat in;
Time, you thief, who love to get sweets into your list, put that in:
Say I'm weary, say I'm sad, say that health and wealth have missed me, say I'm growing old, but add,
Jenny kissed me.
-Leigh Hunt
(1838)

Posts: 88 | From: Los angeles,Ca,USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.