Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Simple Question :)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Simple Question :)
Empress Of The World
Neophyte
Member # 6742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Empress Of The World     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am an 18 year old female and would like to get rid of some extra fat that is on my inner and outter thighs. I'm not really looking to gain very muscley legs, although I know that exercise does build some muscle. I would just like to know if anyone knows any exercises that would burn more fat than would build up alot of muscle. I was thinking of jogging, but I'm not sure if that would work.

Also, I have read a couple of places that there are specific foods that take up (burn) more calories to digest than are actually in the food itself. These include fruits and vegetables. Is this complete nonsense or is there any truth to this?

Thank You

------------------
"I try to think about
rainbows when it gets
bad. You got to think
about something to keep
from going mad. I try to
think about big fat roses
when the ship starts
going down. But my head
is wicked jealous, don't
want to talk about it
right now."

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is unrealsitic to think you can "spot reduce". It just does not work effectively. you can build up certain muscle groups, but you can not lose weigth in one specific area.

Same thing with particular foods. Certainly there are foods that can contribute to weight gain through an increase in fat or caloric consumption. However, ther is no one food or food group that works the other way around. of course, fruits and vegetablestend to be low calorie foods that are also good for your overall health. Eating them is a very smart thing to do. 5-10 servings a days is what many folks recommend.

30 minutes of cardio a day with 2 to 3 weight training sessions a week is good for overall health and to attain an appropriate body mass for your body type.

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and as for those "negative calorie" foods, the ones that supposedly take more energy to eat then they give you, the most cited examples are celery and iceberg lettuce -- both mostly water, and not exactly the most nutritious vegetables, either. Pretty much any fresh fruit or vegetable is good for you to eat all the time.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

this is what you get for liking it.
"The best-looking boys are taken, the best-looking girls are staying inside. So, Judy, where does that leave you, walking the streets from morning till night?" --Belle and Sebastian, "Judy and the Dream of Horses"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walking is probably one of the best exercises you could do to try and tone up your legs without builiding major muscle. Also rollerblading. The trick to toning up is use little resistance but high reps. Walking and rollerblading fit the bill.
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janeth
Activist
Member # 3478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janeth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you can't take weight off in one spot, but if you tone up, you will lose some in the specific spot, try running, that will help. also eat celery. it burns/takes away calories.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
la jaunty bohemian
Activist
Member # 5735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for la jaunty bohemian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And not to beat a dead horse...

But you might want to consider all-over toning exercises that stretch your muscles, burn fat and don't stress your joints.

Swimming and yoga are great for working all of your body, and they build strength and coordination without bulking up your muscles.

They rock.

Posts: 105 | From: Baltimore, MD, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tel'kella
Neophyte
Member # 6109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tel'kella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no food that burns or takes away calories. All food provides calories. That's not to say you shouldn't eat celery, but it's not magic. It's a food like any other. Celery won't make you fat, but it won't melt fat. Neither will grapefruit or cabbage soup or any other "miracle" food.
Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a helpful article to help you understand about the calories in food/
Calories simply contain very few calories (about 6 per large stalk) because it's mostly water.

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.