Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » shaky hands

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: shaky hands
Beautiful day
Activist
Member # 3703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beautiful day     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed my hands are really shaky and jittery lately and for the past while. I've noticed this just in class i was holding a pen or a peice of paper and it was shaking mildly. however, i was having this debate in class, and im not a shy person to talk in front of the class.. but when i was talking, my hand was going nuts.. like it began shaking uncontrolably... im wondering could this be too much caffiene in my diet? or possibly its stress??? lack of sleep?? im only 18, and i dont think this is normal for my age.
Posts: 59 | From: Toronto/Ont/Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how much caffeine do you consume? and how much sleep do you get every night? when do you wake up?

cut the caffeine from your diet for a while and see if it clears up. also, get a full 8 hours of consistent sleep (keep regular hours and a proper bedtime).

if that doesn't clear things up within a few weeks, you definitely need to see a doctor. as far as neurological ailments go, tremors are associated with Parkinson's, multiple scerlosis, anxiety, and brain tumors. If that worries you, then get yourself to a doctor even sooner.

------------------
Living proof that it's hip to be square .

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 4 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cutting caffeine from your diet is well worth the effort but be aware that there are a few withdrawal symptoms. Many people suffer headaches and such for up to a week or two afterwards. It really is good for you though.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're taking any medications, among their side effects might be tremors. One more thing to ask a doc about.

I was on lithium for two years and my hands shook like mad. The doctor tells me that they might continue to do that for years.

Something else to investigate.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com.
"Did you see my friend? He couldn't believe it, 'The girls are holding hands, the girls are holding hands!' Don't be a fool, it's 1995, the girls are just friends." --Belle and Sebastian, "Photo Jenny"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like everybody said, talk to your doctor. It could be something as simple as your caffine intake or something else dietary, but it could also indicate a thyroid or neurologic problem. Don't put it off, it's better to be safe (ie. asking now) than sorry.

------------------
~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

"Not everything in this magical world is quite what it seems"

"Remember, I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together!"

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.