Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Fasting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fasting
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My dad has went on fasts before. He says that he has lost weight from it. Isnt that unsafe? Or is it safe because you drink so much water and juice kind of stuff (I forgot what its called, and I also forgot the whole process that goes along with it). You get special powders and use that as your drink mix when you are fasting. Has anyone else tried that? What was your experience? Did you like it? Would you do it again? Do you recommed it?

Does this make sense?

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

[This message has been edited by glitter695 (edited 09-27-2001).]

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
unless you are fasting for religious reasons (yom kippur, ramadan, etc), i highly discourage fasting. your body has to go thru some expensive processes to keep up with your metabolic needs if you're not properly feeding yourself. overall, it's pretty taxing on your system. so if you don't have to, don't fast. it's not a good idea.

------------------
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm fasting for yom kippur right now, and i am SO HUNGRY.

i can't wait until breakfast...yum...lox and bagels...

anyway, i just thought i would share.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by emsily0:

i can't wait until breakfast...yum...lox and bagels...

*sigh* only five hours left...

~Angel~

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

IM: AngelElisheva (Oh, I'm so creative, aren't I?)

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glitter, luv, unless things have changed recently, I know what you weigh and how tall you are.

That being the case, ANY sort of fasting or dieting would likely be unhealthy for you, as well as unecessary.

And again, ANY sort of dieting for people who are still growing should ONLY be done under a doctors orders and supervision. It's just far easier to screw up your metabolism and digestive system for the rest of your life with dieting in your youth.

I have an aunt who was never satisfied with being a size 8 who now will ever wear plus sizes who could tell you all about how silly she feels for obsessing over her weight then and screwing up her health when no matter what size she was, she would never have felt "thin enough." Yet now, at a FAR larger size than she was then, she feels far better with her body because she learned that lesson.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't know if this can be considered an example of fasting, but during last school year, when my classes started everyday at 1pm, I would wake up around 10, and leave home at 12, and not eat anything until I came back home (about 5 or 6pm), and most of the times the 1st meal I had was dinner at 8.30/9pm... I was just never hungry - sometimes I'd get hungry during the afternoon and eat a sandwich or something, but not usually.

I didn't do it thinking I would loose weight, although one day when I was already on Summer holidays I started thinking about it and I thought I should have lost weight and I was like "cool, and I didn't even have to 'suffer'"... so I I was very surprised when not only didn't I loose weight, as I put on almost 5kgs during this year, which are now very noticeable as most of my pants don't fit me

Even though I didn't eat anything during all day for more than 6 months, and I did plenty of walking each day, I think as I didn't eat healthily during the day as I should, anything I would eat was absorbed by my body.

So I think it isn't healthy at all to think about fasting, and as far as results are concerned, at least in my case it did exactly the oposite of what we'd think...

------------------
~Sallynha
The Beautiful Smile Hides The Troubled Soul

ICQ# 123898306

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about fasting today...

I know that not eating enough can cause problems with your metabolism, but how long does it take for that change to happen?

I dont think i would ever fast to lose weight, but i wouldnt mind doing it just to see if i have the self control to do it. I am not thinking a forty day fast or anything, but more like a three to five day fast.

I dont think for me it would have any effects too horrible (i am by no means a small girl) but i really dont wanna mess up my metabolism. I dont think i have ever gone more then 36 hours without eating before (and that is a generous estimate) so i just dont know.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
Glitter, luv, unless things have changed recently, I know what you weigh and how tall you are.

I still am the same hieght, maybe an inch taller (whoohoo!) I weigh about 115-118 so I did gain a little weight.

Sometime I dont eat right.

Miz S. You seem to eat great and maintain the same weight. What do you advise on eating to make me feel better about myself? I like eating, but sometimes I am in a big rush and dont eat right, especially when I have work about an hour after I get out of school, and dont get home until 9p.m. or sometimes 10:30p.m. and I really dont like to eat that late. Any suggestions?

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Etch: there's a process your body goes thru to make carbohydrates from scratch. it's called gluconeogenesis. how fast does it kick in? it's already going by the time you wake up in the morning. your body kicks it out of the gluconeogenesis process when you eat breakfast (which is why eating in the morning is so dang important). gluconeogenesis is an expensive process to run, and it is here that ppl's metabolisms start getting screwed up.

in short, don't fast. please. don't do it.

------------------
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest that anyone who intends to fast, or drastically reduce their food intake solely to lose weight, should be looking at some of the photographs from WW2.

Specifically, the Nazi concentration camps, the Burma Railroad (especially Hellfire Pass), and the various death marches.

Your body is basically able to stay alive with 1000-1200 calories a day. That's to maintain a minimum of health, with no workload. 2000 calories per day is generally regarded as "healthy", in my understanding. (Assuming all other dietary requirements are met: vitamins, minerals, protein, etc.)

Your health is vastly more important than current trends in fashion. Obesity is bad, but so is being seriously underweight. Somewhere in between is just nice.

After all, I think I'd rather look like Santa Claus than an Auschwitz inmate.

Planning on a diet? Check your doctor.

------------------
I like to Carson at least once Daly, otherwise I'd need this!

[This message has been edited by ThisGuy (edited 10-14-2001).]

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
people in concentration camps were fed approximately 600 Calories a day.

------------------
Living proof that it's hip to be square .

Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
600 really? For some reason i thought it would be less. Of course that is an average and schools and movies generally tell the worst case scenarios. 600 a day is more then the diet my grandmother put my mom on when growing up. 400 a day was my moms diet. How unhealthy.

I always eat breakfast if there is one thing in the world i make time for its a big bowl of Total (or whatever) in the morning. YUM YUM.

I dont think i could manage to fast anyway. Well, now that i know how quickly that process starts im gonna go call my friend who has horrid eating habits and let her know

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

I started to eat breakfast finally because we serve breakfast in school.

I have a little bowl of cereal with some skim milk and a little thing of apple juice. It makes me feel good. So I think that I will keep doing that. Then I wont eat that much for lunch.

So right now I am happy with that, we will see how I feel in a week or so.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.