Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Diet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diet
cheerleader01
Neophyte
Member # 3358

Icon 5 posted      Profile for cheerleader01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started my diet today and it was horrible. I started off by eating a salad at lunch and got sick I guess b/c I have a weak stomach and my doctor says I need a well balanced meal at least twice a day. Well my question is how am I ever going to lose weight and eat two well balanced meals a day. Do you have any suggestions on what I should eat to lose about 5 to 10 pounds.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest seeing a nutrionist even if it's for only 5-10 pounds, especially since you said that you have a weak stomach. Your doctor will be able to recommend a good nutrionist.
Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I would say that blackbird is right- a nutritionist will probably be able to help you figure out a food and exercise routine that is healthy for you. Although, if your doctor says that you need at least 2 balanced meals a day, then I would do what s/he says. If you've gotten sick when you didn't eat a well balanced meal, then that seems like good proof that he's right. Plus, you don't want to hurt you body by making yourself sick, do you?

Most likely what the nutritionist will do is figure out a balance of food that's right for you, but is low in fat and all that other stuff that you need to lower in your diet. He'll probably also help figure out an exercise routine that is right for you, that will help you lose weight.

I'm not exactly sure though, since I've never been to a nutritionist. But that seems like a logical thing for him to do to help you out.

------------------
*^Lucky^*

"I could rip your eyelid off..."

"No, Don't do it! I need it to seal my plan.."

"Why?"

"Because it's so devious I need to wink."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheerleader: noticed that your doc said *at least* twice meals a day? The recommendations I have gotten (and what works for me) were always that it's best to have small yet frequent meals.

Please, gal, do NOT start a diet without proper guidance by a dietitian/nutritionist or doc. It won't work, it will most likely be unhealthy, and you will gain the weight as soon as you get your normal eating habits back.

Blackbird and Lucky have already given you some great advice here, and I, too, strongly want to recommend that you get some pro help here in getting yourself on a good nutrition and excercise plan. It is far far far better to change your eating habits and start eating better and working out in general while NOT staring at the scale, then just changing things extremely over a short period of time.

Try not to have your mind set on those 5 or 10 pounds. Would weighting those pounds less make you more fun to have around? A better friend? An overall nicer person? I doubt it, really, sweeto. I bet you are lovely and wonderful just the way you are. Please do not get stuck on numbers. Do you feel good? that's the most important indicator, I think.

As our lovely Hanne says:

Start a revolution, stop hating your body.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a BIG tip without seeing a nutritionist. Eat a nice well balanced breakfast (Total cereal fruit a glas of skim milk or real fruit juice). Breakfast should be your largest meal because you need those calories for the entire day and you can afford to eat more since you wont be sleeping right after you ate them. A slightly smaller lunch (a salad with vinigrette dressing cuz anything creamy is extremely fattening, a few crackers and more milk or juice) a light snack of fruit or veggies in the afternoon and a very light dinner. Fish and chicken (not fried) are always good ideas for lunch or dinner. But try to make dinner your smallest meal because you have the least amount of time to burn off the calories.

Starving yourself untill lunch, then only eating a salad was probably what gave you an upset stomach, and not only that but it is too few of calories to eat if you had a light dinner as well, unless you had ranch or another heavy dressing. Try a vinagrette dressing, or maybe a little bit of italian. add a hard boiled egg for protien. If you dont like eggs add chicken breast strips instead.

Only two meals a day will make you lathargic and you will always be hungry. Especially if they are only lunch and dinner. Eat three light meals and a small snack.

I really really dislike liquid diets, but it sounds like trying something like slim-fast would be good. They are meant to be eaten or drank as a MEAL not a snack, so dont let the calorie or fat count bother you. And remember, you need at least 1200 calories a day, and a certain amount of fat is needed in a diet. They are really nutritous if you are not willing to eat anything else. (i got an anorexic friend to start drinking them and now she is a lot healthier but still doesnt eat much)

Another thing, if you are looking to lose weight to look thinner then setting a pound loss goal might not be good. People who are constantly on the scale tend to get dissapointed if they didnt lose weight(or gained in muscle) and they give up, or try in even more unhealthy ways to lose that weight. Look at the way clothes fit you. Ask people you havnt seen in a while if they notice a difference. Pay attention to how your body feels rather then what the scale says. It was way way way more accurate.

And plus, eveyone has a set weight that they have from genetics. If they eat healthy and excercise regularly that weight will stick whether is be 101 lbs or 190 lbs. Mine is around 165. However, in trying to reach that goal i do not stand on a scale every morning to track my slow progress. I notice when i have to go out and buy belts to keep my pants up that used to fit snugly.

Everything i just said is somewhere to start. You should see a nutritionist, they will have the most accurate information. I have a lot more information if you really really dont want to see a nutritionist, but you really should.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Etch, some good advice from you here, but I have to disagree with you on the Slim Fast. I really am no fan of diet drinks and feel not good about someone advocating them here.

Those things are there to make money. - Not to make someone loose weight. And those things just aren't healthy, nor do they teach someone good eating habits or make them exercise more.

So please, do not advocate these kinds of products. Thank you.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 07-24-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont like them myself, i am just saying that they are better then eating little or nothing at all. They are healthier then a bag of potato chips, and certainly healthier then not eating anything. For some people, they can work if they do it RIGHT. i just see little difference between doing a liquid diet wrong and doing any other diet wrong. there are too many ways to mess up when trying to lose weight, those things just have a lot of nutrients some people would not get in their diet otherwise. When i eat a slim fast bar is is if i dont have the time to eat anything else nutritous. I would rather eat a slim fast bar with 220 calories and 22 vitamins and minerals then a bag of chips and a pop from a vending machine.
Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My two cents on meal replacement drinks:

While you shouldn't misuse them (and that means not "replacing" meals very often with them!!! - certainly never more than a couple of times a week), I don't see a problem with drinking a "carnation instant breakfast" (I'm sorry but anything even remotely marketed as a diet item will not make it's way into my cart, so I avoid slim fast, sweet success, and all of that crapola) instead of potentially skipping a meal, which is far more dangerous. They really do have lots of vitamins and minerals, along with fiber, carbs, and protein. Sometimes, people get busy, and if they are like me, eating a lot of food in the morning is just a no-can do. Personally, the thought of a big breakfast totally puts me off. I spoke to my doctor about it, and she suggested that i either make my own, with yougurt, fruit, wheat germ, etc., or if I didn't have the time, the Carnation Drinks at least give you some fuel before you can have a real meal.

Again, to echo Alaska, they aren't meant to take the place of eating responsibly, but if you are in a pinch, they are better than nothing.

[This message has been edited by Lisa D (edited 07-24-2001).]

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Okie, misunderstandement on my part then. Apologies to Etch.

Sure, a liquid meal is sure better than not eating at all or eating fast food. The same goes for protein bars and the like - great if you either do not feel like a real meal or can not make one but are hungry now.

I understood your Slim Fast tip as a recommendation for weight loss though, which is something I personally think is neither working, nor healthy nor good for anyone.

Sorry again.

SwitchBladeBunny
Neophyte
Member # 4741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwitchBladeBunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two meals a day? That's not very much. You probably need at LEAST 1200 calories a day to maintain normal body functions (i.e. your period). Think about WHY you want to lose weight. If you aren't TECHNICALLY overweight, then you shouldn't go on a diet. I went on a 'diet'. I lost 60 pounds in six months. I'm cold constantly, it hurts to sit in certain kinds of chairs. I can see my ribs and my sternum (breast bone). I haven't had periods for five months, and I've probably caused irreversible damage to my bones from depriving myself of calcium. If I don't gain weight, my heart could go into an arrythmia and I would DIE. I'm seeing a doctor so that I can bring my weight back up to normal. And guess what? I still think that my thighs are fat. BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR EATING! Exercise more in addition to slightly reducing caloric intake. I'm not saying that losing weight is ALWAYS bad, but you should consider what you want from your diet. Be happy with your body, people will admire you for it! Don't hurt yourself just to be thin.
Posts: 3 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SBB is right, 1,200 calories is a minimum, and that should be a hodge-podge of all kinds of healthy foods.

SBB, have you visited a nutritionist? Perhaps s/he could give you some ideas about how to gain back some muscle mass. Looking at bones from the outside just isn't pretty...I did a super-fast weight loss with diet pills once. Dear goddess, one of the stupid moments in my youth. i dropped about 25 lbs over a 2-3 month period and i felt like crap, was always cold, and my skin rebelled by blessing me with a raging case of acne.

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.