Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Calories

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calories
cheerleader01
Neophyte
Member # 3358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheerleader01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly are calories and what can they do to your body?

Posts: 17 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 4 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a bit of an article from kidshealth.org

"A calorie (say: cal-er-ee) is a measure of how much energy the nutrients protein, carbohydrate, and fat can supply your body. When you eat food, your body uses the food as fuel, burning it to produce energy, or calories. Every person's body needs energy to function. Whether your body is doing things you don't even think about, like pumping blood or blinking, or doing things you plan, like walking a dog or blowing bubbles, you always need calories!"

I really like this site b/c it makes things so clear ... no medical mumbo jumbo Click on the link to read more on calories and other important food stuff.

------------------
When mom found my diaphram, I told her it was a bathing cap for my cat.
~ Liz Winston

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*your favorite mumbo-jumbo spouting gal pops in for a visit*

one nitpick, a dietary Calorie is equal to one thousand calories. the capitalized letter is specific.

when your body breaks down food, it releases the energy in the form of heat. your body can harness this heat to run some reactions. one of those reactions builds fats. so if there's a lot of heat being released, it can go into fat production. which is why Calories are associated with weight gain -- excess Calories can go into fat production.

i could be a lot more specific, but i think you don't want to hear me go off about fatty-acid synthesis and the like.

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to hear about fatty-acid synthesis!!! honestly...

The name Calorie is a name for a measurment of energy... kinda like an inch or a mile is a measurment of distance. (of course there isnt a such thing as a square calorie or anything)

Calories are also mostly only used in the US. kinda like how we use the Standard measurment system (inches and miles and so on), and most of the rest of the world uses the Metric system (centimeters and kilometers). Most of the rest of the world measures heat by Jules. So if you go to Canada and look at the nutrition facts you will not see Calories, you will see Jules.

By the way, just cause too many calories cause fat, it doesnt mean you can cut them down to a ridiculous level. You should have at LEAST 1200 a day, and 800 at the BARE minimum. Having too few of calories can cause muscle break down and loss of energy. Your metabolism can also get worse if you do not have enough calories for a prolonged time. and your metabolism CANNOT be fixed.

Oh yeah 5000 Calories = 1lb in fat. So if you want to lose weight then if you work off or cut out 5000 Calories in one week you will lose 1 lbs. If you have that many Calories extra that were not worked off then you will gain 1 lbs. But remember, things like breathing and your heart beating burn calories!

So, in short, eat enough calories (2000 is standard but not right for everyone) and you should be fine and maintain your current weight.

(was i correct on all that Gumdrop?)

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You lose weight by burning off more calories than you take in, you gain weight by taking in more calories than you burn, and you maintain your weight by burning the same amount as you take in.

But, like Etch said, just waking up everyday burns calories. And I believe that it's 'safe' to lose a pound and a half a week.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh, you tug at my heart-strings, etch!

well, as requested, i'm gonna discuss fatty acids! yea!!!

fatty acids are long chains of carbon and hydrogen with a carboxylic acid at the end, hence the fatty part, and the acid part. fatty acids can be attached to a three-carbon glycerol backbone. think of a very elongated "E". this is a lipid molecule, your basic unit of fat.

Fatty acids are synthesized from a very versatile molecule -- acetyl-CoA. Acetyl-CoA is converted to malonyl-ACP via condensation with carbon dioxide. This malonyl-ACP condenses with an acetyl which is bound to cysteine-thiol. Carbon dioxide is released from this condensation. Molecule is dehydrated and then reduced. Then process repeats with more malonyl-ACP joining the party. Type of fatty acid is determined by number of carbons in the chain. This process yields saturated fatty acids, but you can get unsaturdated fatty acids by dehydrogenating some of the bonds.

Now that you have the fatty acid, you can get some glycerol-3-phosphate backbones and startattaching the chains. One chain gives a monoglyceride, two gives a diglyceride, and three a triglyceride.

read the ingredients on a bag of chips, maybe you'll recognize all the different names for fats they list.

and cholesterols are made by a very different process. it happens in your liver

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understood about 75% of what you said Grumdrop, lol. I probably wouldnt have understood much at all had i not taken chemistry 1 though. *sigh* i miss the days of hydrocarbon chains! haha, i should take a bio chem class when i get into college. its WAY more interesting then regular chemistry. it can be much more useful too!

Oh, about how much weight you should lose. In the first week of a weight loss plan it is normal to lose more weight then suggested (i once lost 5 lbs in one week a few years ago when starting a new workout) and it is gernerally a good idea to not lose anymore then 2 lbs a week. 2 should be your maximum weekly weight loss. However, studies show that the slower you lose weight the more likely you are to keep it off for a longer period of time (i think it has more to do with psychology of keeping with your health plan then it does with biology) Most people that go for the quick weight loss fixes gain all the weight and usually more back just as fast as they lost it. So, lose it SLOW! and rather then pay attention to pounds pay attention to size and muscle tone!

Jeez, I turned this into a discussion about weight loss... OOPS. guess its just on my mind since i am losing myself

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.