Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Hypothyroidism

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hypothyroidism
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My partner suffers from rather severe hypothyroidism, and through irresponsible or absent doctors, is currently being undermedicated for it. We're trying to find a permanent doctor, and ways for him to arrange time off work to see them, but I really think there's got to be more to helping his health than just a prescription.
Laughs Wisely mentioned a link between hypothyroidism and depression, which I'd not previously been aware of, and I'm grateful for that, but it's also made me very aware that we need to do something and soon. My partner's health and emotional state have been declining and I'm getting a bit frightened. I'm currently looking into information on nutrition and yoga, and trying to find an endocrinologist in our city, but I was very curious if anyone here had had any experience with thyroid disorders, and/or using diet and complimentary medicine to help treat such problems. I'd be grateful for any help you could give me.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Milke. I can help some. In terms of supplements, the following are helpful:

Kelp/Iodine
Selenium
Zinc (many folks with hypothyroid also have zinc deficiencies)
Vitamin C

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have kelp, and it seems to be some help, but I'll look for the other three next time I'm out.

Thank you!

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to throw out a few symptoms of hypothyroidism

constant feeling of chills
difficulty in concentrating or thinking
loss of appetite

in general, thyroid hormones control your metabolism. not having enough thyroid hormone (T3/T4 are the two forms) will slow your metabolism drastically.

Some causes of hypothyroidism are thyroid gland damage due to cancerous or non-cancerous tumors, problems with thyroid hormone receptors and iodine deficiency.

About thyroid hormone itself. It's made from the amino acid Tyrosine. Two Tyrosine molecules condense. Then either 3 or 4 iodide ions bind to the complex forming T3 or T4. Even though they are not steroidal, they work similarly to steroid hormones. This means their effects are slow-acting and long lasting.

------------------
straddle the fine line between profundity and profanity...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question, from the curious, Gumdrop: I know when hypothyroidism came up as a possibility for me (and still, it is lurking, but nutritional remedies seem to work fine for me) it was said that thyroid hormone would be the best treatment.

However, since it was bovine (cow) hormone that is used, to my understanding, that isn't something I would have been willing to take, as may be the case with most vegetarians.

Know what docs would normally suggest in that instance currently?

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janeth
Activist
Member # 3478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janeth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some things i found on the internet:

Only subtle symptoms may occur early in the course of hypothyroidism. These may include: fatigue decreased concentration intolerance to cold environments constipation loss of appetite muscle cramping and stiffness weight gain

Some individuals may notice hair loss, dry skin, or nail changes. If left untreated, the symptoms of hypothyroidism will progress. This can lead to fluid retention around the eyes or legs.

Untreated hypothyroidism can also cause congestive heart failure, a condition in which a weakened heart is unable to pump enough blood to body organs. In severe cases, the brain itself is affected. The person can lose mental function and even go into a coma.

The long-term effects of untreated hypothyroidism can be profound. Severe, prolonged hypothyroidism can lead to multiple abnormalities within any system of the body including heart, brain, and skin. Untreated hypothyroidism can cause heart disease, osteoporosis or thinning of the bones, and infertility in women. If left untreated for many years, severe hypothyroidism can eventually lead to death.

Fatigue
Weakness
Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
Coarse, dry hair
Dry, rough pale skin
Hair loss
Cold intolerance (can't tolerate the cold like those around you)
Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches
Constipation
Depression
Irritability
Memory loss
Abnormal menstrual cycles
Decreased libido

I haven't found anything information saying that it is past on from generation. Does anyone know if it does, and if so does it go from one to another or does it skip a generation?

Posts: 51 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tel'kella
Neophyte
Member # 6109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tel'kella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Janeth:
I haven't found anything information saying that it is past on from generation. Does anyone know if it does, and if so does it go from one to another or does it skip a generation?

Thyroid diseases (both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism) can be passed on genetically. I've had three doctors suspect I have thyroid disease because my mother has it and I have a few symptoms, but for me, that doesn't seem to be the case. As to whether it can skip a generation, I don't know.

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janeth
Activist
Member # 3478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janeth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks alot for the reply. I wonder if i will get it because there are people in my family who have it. When does one usually get hypo or hyper? (what age). At least i know that it can be treated!
Posts: 51 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tel'kella
Neophyte
Member # 6109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tel'kella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if there's a particular age for it (gah, there's so much I don't know), but the first time I was tested for it, I was ::thinks:: about twelve or thirteen. So assuming my GP is knowledgeable, you can have it at least as early as that.

The best thing to do if you're concerned is to get tested. It's very easy, just a little blood test! Since you're at increased risk, it's possible that your doctor will want you to be retested periodically if your first test comes out negative (that's what they've been doing with me), but whether you'd have to be retested and how often depends on a variety of factors; ask your doctor. And yup, it's very treatable.

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope people don't me posting about this in this thread, but I've jsut been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and doctor has organised a scan to find out whether its caused by the auto-immune disorder Grave's Disease, or by Thyroiditis(Inflammataion of the Thyroid Gland).

I'm just wondering, the doc said that if it is Grave's Disease, the treatment would be tablets for about 18 months.

Does anyone(and I suppose by anyone, I mean our wonderfully medical knowledge endowed gummy) know the treatment for thyroiditis, and what the tablets that I would be receiving for Grave's would be? Or their side effects?

Thanks, and uh, anyone else suffer from this?

I find it a nightmare. I'm buzzing in school and then I collapse into bed when I get home.

I'm on tablets to slow down my heart rate.I'm shaking, I'm sweating like a pig and I'm so grumpy I offend myself!

Could a messed up Thyroid gland have anything to do with excessive dieting about a year and a half ago? No one in my family actually suffers from it, or has any problems with their thyroid.

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

To my understanding, Slayer, excessive dieting more often causes problems with underactive, rather than overactive, thyroid. But someone like Gumdrop Girl likely has more information on that in her noggin.

Here is a list of some common medications for treating hyperthyroidism or Graves: http://www.mythyroid.com/medications_for_hyperthyroidism.htm

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had to consult the books for this one. i love the tough and interesting questions

for Graves disease, the treatment qould be to block the immune proteins that are screwing with your thyroid, so chances are, you will be put on immune-suppresants. The side-effects are increased suceptibility to infection (you'll be getting more colds, but at least you won't get a goiter -- golly, you oughtta see some of these pictues in my textbook).

Thyroiditis is likely to be treated like a lot of other inflammations. you may be given steroids to suppress the inflammation. Side effects include immune-suppression and puffiness (moon-face).

I'll try to get more info for you in a day or so (i'm taking a trip today, be back tomorrow nightish)

------------------
According to the experts, I am some species of badass.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my best friends has hypothyroidism. She found out after being tired and restless all of the time.
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gummy and Miz S!

I'm actually have the beginning of a goitre, and I've seen pictures in biology when we were studying homeostasis, and eh, not a pretty sight....

I am getting an isotope(radionuclide) scan on Friday, so hopefully that will reveal all...

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Well, all was revealed and I have Grave's disease, which I find surprising, because I don't have the bulgy eyes thing.

The doctor has given me a prescription, and I'm on tablets now for at least 7 weeks, adn I have to get a blood test.

It could be worse, tumours and cancers have been ruled(a huge fear I had) and this is treatable so, while its causing me some discomfort, it by no means is the worse possible scenario.

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

glad you got a diagnosis and treatment. hope things go well for you, slayer

------------------
According to the experts, I am some species of badass.

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
Question, from the curious, Gumdrop: I know when hypothyroidism came up as a possibility for me (and still, it is lurking, but nutritional remedies seem to work fine for me) it was said that thyroid hormone would be the best treatment.

However, since it was bovine (cow) hormone that is used, to my understanding, that isn't something I would have been willing to take, as may be the case with most vegetarians.

Know what docs would normally suggest in that instance currently?

A-ha! There is a synthetic non-animal based thyroid medication called Synthroid. It is meant for people who cannot take porcine or bovine-based thyroxine (whether for religious, ethical or allergy reasons).

------------------
more surly than girly...

Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recent studies have actually suggest that what doctors consider to be a normal TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) level is too high. People who are testing normal (in the 3-5 uU/mL) area can actually have hypothyroditism. Other studies have suggested that anything greater than 2 is a sign of a hypothyroid. The current range is something like 0.5-5.5. Anything above that is considered hypothyroid. The higher TSH you have the more your body is trying to make thyroid. Most doctors just test your TSH, but your T3 and T4 levels give a more acurate picture of a thyroid problem.
Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.