Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Sore Throat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sore Throat
Rachel
Activist
Member # 1941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rachel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every year around this time i always end up with a sore throat. It hurts soooo much!! Can you guys please give me some ideas to make it stop hurting i have tried gargling warm salt water (yuck) it didn't help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Posts: 64 | From: Long Island NY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herbally....

- Licorice root tea. Numbs the throat, tastes divine.

- Hot water with lemon, sipped slowly, as hot as you can stand it.

- Hot cloth compresses on the neck and lymph nodes.

You may also want to try using a humidifier at night. A lot of people find their noses dry and throats scrtachy because heated homes tend to get very dry. Also, be sure to dress warmly outside so you don't walk around with half a cold all winter.

Posts: 68164 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A humidifier works a lot for me. Well, the getting to sleep part more than the sore throat, but that's a different story...

Tea is really good for my throat, and crushed ice. Cough drops help too.

I've never tried compresses before. I might have to try that. My throat is really sore!

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
warm soup broth. maybe something mushy like oatmeal or porridge. and antibiotics. and orange juice.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homemade Chicken Soup~ good for the soul!!! Yummy, and the chicken broth acts like penicline (sp?). It helps a lot!!

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say that personally, I'm not a big fan of liberal antibiotic use. I feel antibiotics are best saved for when they are direly needed, because they work better that way. I have seen far too many people over the years overuse antibiotics (and their docs over-prescribing them) and then find that when they had a serious infection, they didn't do squat.

If your doc prescribes them, okay, but do ask why he/she is doing so. Antibiotics for a common cold really aren't the right choice. For minor infections, an herbal substitute like echinecea and golden seal (best taken two weeks on and one week off) do the job beautifully, and don't mess with your immune system.

Posts: 68164 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rachel
Activist
Member # 1941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rachel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw that you said echinecea, but i have read that echinecea is actually bad for you and proven studies have shown that it doesn't even help cure the common cold faster.
Posts: 64 | From: Long Island NY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miz S, I def. agree with you. My mother's friend is like Miss Antibiotic. Everytime her daughter gets a minor cold or something she rushes to the doc to get them. One time she went to the dermatologist with her daughter, and asked for antibiotics because she thought she would have a problem with acne since she had a few pimples. I think this is ridiculous. I avoid them at all costs unless it is absolutely necessary.

BTW, chicken soup is great for a sore throat--I like Ben's Chicken Soup best--yum yum!!

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
"Don't go in the teepee without a condom on your peepee"~Dumb & Dumber

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Nothing cures a cold. As any doctor will tell you, there is no cure for the cold, save rest, fluids, nutrition and patience.

I'd be happy to look at the article you're referencing for echinecea just to be sure and to make sure there isn't any reputable new medical research on it I've missed, but as it has been used in North America for hundreds of years, and I have yet to hear a nutritionist, herbalist or naturopath find any problems with it.

It isn't an antibiotic, however, it is simply an immune system booster, like goldenseal or l-lysine, and so it behaves like an antibiotic in some instances. I've been taking it most of my life, and when I worked in vitamins I routinely advised it, and it's usually helped myself and others (esp. those with low or compromised immune systems)helped a great deal.

For future online reference (though I usually prefer printed resources for herbalism and medicine as a rule), I find this site very accurate and helpful when it comes to self-care, general health news and herbalism: http://www.healthy.net.

Their listing for echinecea is very well-done and very detailed: http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/article.asp?PageType=article&ID=1886

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 12-03-2000).]

pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a sore throat every year for 7 years in a row. But last year I didn't. I was soo mad that my record was broken .
But, whenever I get sick w/ a sore throat, I break out my humidifier and Vitamin C Drops. If you don't have a humidifier at the moment, I find a nice, steaming shower helps. The steam is always soothing.
And there are delicious Vitamin C throat drops-I think theyre from Halls Defense-that I eat like candy. Besides being helpful, they taste great.

------------------
Yeah, well I'VE got blood dripping out of a hole between my legs, do YOU?!?
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a big fan of rampant antibiotic use, either, but when i know what the problem is, and i need a really quick fix, I'll ring up my dad and tell him what the trouble is. i simply cannot afford to be ill during finals.

------------------

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rachel, echinacea works homeopathically by triggering the immune system, and thus helps fight any bugs you've got, but using it when you're not sick can lead you to feel a bit ill, or develop a resistance to it. However, it won't actually hurt you.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sexy1985
Activist
Member # 1892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sexy1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what works really good for me? The cough suryup spray (I forget what its called) That way you just spray it directly into your throat, you can barely taste it!
Posts: 64 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

sexy1985: Chloraseptic.

my sore throat went away today sometime during the afternoon. but my nose is running the boston marathon or something. i have kleenex all over the place.

------------------

Sexy1985
Activist
Member # 1892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sexy1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yeah!!! DUHHHH!! I had the word on the tip of my tongue! Thankies! (I'm really not dumb, lol, just tired!)
Posts: 64 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.