Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » um... partial vegetarian diet??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: um... partial vegetarian diet??
Katri
Neophyte
Member # 391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not completely vegetarian or vegan. I still eat dairy products, and meat such as meatballs (in spaghetti) and the occasional fast food from McDonalds. Of course, who know's what's in McDonalds food.

Anyway I don't eat meat off a bone (like steak, chicken, pork chips, barbequed ribs, etc.)

My dad went on the Atkins (sp?) diet and lost 50 pounds in about 2 months. He went from 270lbs to 220 and is still loosing weight. He eats a lot of meat and stuff like that and avoids carbohydrates. He's never felt better.

Me on the other hand, I was overweight for most of my life. My dad loves steak and meadium rare burgers and our family would just eat meat and a side vegetable for years. Then recently I got sick of the meat when my dad cut out carbohydrates from his diet. (no more pasta, bread, etc.)

I'm also an animal lover, so I have a few reasons for avoiding meat.

well lately, I just get grossed out by eating meat (unless it doesn't look or taste like meat. i.e. McDonalds. ) so I've been on my strange little diet with less meat, lots of vegetables and fruit, less soda and more water, and raisin bread. I love raisin bread. hehe. I also still eat seafood like shrimp, fish, and especially sardines. (not kidding!)

I also go for lots of walks out in the recreational park and in the woods with my boyfriend. Not running and major workouts, just nice long walks (usually between 3 and 5 miles) that don't leave you completely worn out afterwards.

Anyway I lost 20 pounds since I gave up a eating meat on a regular basis. I went from 160 lbs to 140. Although that might sound like a lot, the heavier builds run in my family. I'm 5'5" tall. Muscle weighs more then fat.

I've never been happier with the way I look, even though I'm not as thin as lots of people. They get thin by not eating.

Anyone else on a diet like this? It's not strict at all... you had just better like water. I drink at least 3 halfliter bottles a day.

...and I really don't know the point of this topic. Thank you... drive through.

Posts: 10 | From: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katri
Neophyte
Member # 391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, since I started eating this way and avoiding all the really fatty foods like meat (candy is included) I don't get cramps nearly as badly as I used to around that time of the month. I used to get them so bad I'd have to stay home from school but now my period doesn't ever change my routeen.
Posts: 10 | From: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm exactly the same way! I used to love eating meat, but got put off after watching animals being slaughtered and all.. it was like my own quiet little protest against the meat industry.
I haven't had any problems, except I have to take iron pills as a replacement, since I don't eat red meat (unless I'm desperate or at my b/f's parents house!).
My b/f is also a vegetarian, and most of my friends are vegan. One of them is going to start his own strictly vegan cafe..
I stopped getting my period for a while when I was off the pill and became vegetarian, but went back on and now they are regular, though a bit lighter than they were!

Now I can't stand the sight of meat.. it's replusive to me.. but that's ok, as long as you substitute the vitamins and minerals that you are missing out on by not eating meat..

good luck...

entropie

------------------
***DISCLAIMER*** All advice received from me should be used at YOUR OWN RISK. I am in no way responsible for the advice that I give. I only give my opinions to the situation. It is up to you to do what you feel is the right thing.

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigerlily
Neophyte
Member # 592

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tigerlily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started gradually making my way to becoming a vegan about a year and a half ago. I'm not a vegan yet, but I have cut all meat from diet, but still eat dairy products. Right now, I'm starting to substitute those with soy products. I thought it would be hard to do (I'm from Texas, home of beef and barbecues), but it actually ended up being easy. I never liked pork to begin with and I was really getting turned off by beef.

And oh yeah, McDonald's is bad. Check out www.meatstinks.com It's the website for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). Believe me, after visiting their site, you will totally be turned off to meat. And McDonald's.

Posts: 9 | From: TX, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.