Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » yummy & healthy in your pots and pans (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: yummy & healthy in your pots and pans
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've got to share this yummy soup i came up with the other day. it could be vegetarian very easily if you took out the chicken stock, and vegan if you tweaked it a bit.

roasted fall veg soup
4 squashes (i used 2 acorn, 1 golden acorn, and one strange one that looked like a mini pumpkin)
1 baking potato
1 leak
4 ears corn
one whole bulb garlic
3 cans chicken stock
1 pint milk
good olive oil
kosher salt, white pepper, nutmeg
tinfoil.

first set the oven to 350 and throw the potato in on a baking tray. then cut all the squashes in half, scoop out the seeds, and put a little water, oilve oil, salt, pepper, and nutmeg into each half. wrap tightly in tinfoil and put into the oven with potato. then cut the base off the garlic bulb, wrap it in foil with pepper and olive oil, and toss it in the oven too. then shuck the corn, brush with olive oil and a little salt, wrap it in tinfoil, and toss it in the oven too. then clean the leak, wrap it up with olive oil and pepper, and toss it in too. the leak will be done in about 30 mins. take it out and cut/smush it up. then the corn should be done right afterwards. by the time you have the roased corn off the cobb the garlic should be roasted. cut it up, get rid of it's skin, and the squash should be ready (squash is squishy when cooked) turn your oven off (the potato will finish cooking in the cooling oven) and deal with your squash - peel it and cut it up and smush it if you like purreed soup, or leave it in chunks if you like chunky soup. if you're impatient like me you'll probably end up burning your hands messing with the squash, so be careful. then cut up the potato. (keep or discard the skin as you see fit)

toss all the veggies into a pot with chicken stock (or veg stock, or white wine would be good, too). and bring to a boil. let boil for a few mins then add milk and bring back to a boil. then turn off the burner and cover it and leave it alone for a half hour or so.

reheat soup to serve, you can add a few tablespoons of butter if you like at this point to make it creamier, and garnish with croutons and or blue cheese crumbles or both.

------------------
who is rin?

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread needs bumping!

Incredibly Lazy Tuna Bean Salad

1 can of butter beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of tuna in olive oil, NOT drained
1 mild onion
1 tomato
a bit of vinegar

Grab a large bowl and dump in the tuna and its oil. Mix in the butter beans, chop the raw onion and tomato and throw them in as well. Splash a bit of vinegar on top and stir the whole thing, so the vinegar mixes with the oil for instant dressing.

(If you feel like it, it can easily be varied with extra goodies like olives, bell peppers, salad greens, etc.)

Rich in protein, omega-3s and other essential fatty acids, lycopene and allicin. Also tastes good .

[This message has been edited by logic_grrl (edited 09-02-2004).]

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have cooked so much this summer! Here are two of my favorite healthy recipes, both from allrecipes.com.

Lentil Soup

INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large onions, cubed
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
3 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups lentils - soaked, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup white wine
2 bay leaves
7 cups veggie or chicken broth
1 sprig fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
In a large stockpot, saute the onions in oil until they are glossy. Stir in garlic, paprika, celery, carrots, and saute for 10 minutes.
Once the vegetables have sauteed for 10 minutes stir in tomatoes, broth, lentils, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Stir well, then add the wine and bring the mixture to a boil. Slowly reduce the heat and cook for 1 hour on low to medium heat; or until the lentils are tender.
Sprinkle the soup with parsley and Parmesan before serving.

Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti (uses eggs)

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup light olive oil
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups pistachio nuts

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
In a large bowl, mix together oil and sugar until well blended. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts, then beat in the eggs. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually stir into egg mixture. Mix in cranberries and nuts by hand.
Divide dough in half. Form two logs (12x2 inches) on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Dough may be sticky; wet hands with cool water to handle dough more easily.
Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until logs are light brown. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
Cut logs on diagonal into 3/4 inch thick slices. Lay on sides on parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until dry; cool.

Enjoy!

Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey faeryprincess, post your veggie soup recipe here then i can delete itin the other thread.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faeryprinces
Activist
Member # 12405

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Faeryprinces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go! Thanks Gumdrop girl

So I felt like making Vegetable soup the other day...Soup from scratch. And when I say from scratch i mean, starting it with vegetables and water to make my own Vegetable stock. So, not to brag or anything, but I think I did really good, cuz I like it! haha Here's how I made it (for anyone who is interested) It is very basic, but you can definately make your own variations:

4 Carrots, peeled and diced
1 Zuchinni, diced
3 Ribs of Celery, diced
2 Cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 Plum Tomatoes, seeded and quartered
1/2 head of cabbage
1 leek, diced
2 cloves of garlic
3 bay leaves
1 tsp Parsley
1/2 tsp of pepper
Salt to taste

Put all ingredients into a stock pot and cover vegetables with cold water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 40mins. Salt to taste. At this point I took 2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed in cold water and added it to the soup to thicken it slightly. Then I boiled some egg noodles and added those, and added some Tofu cut into 1/2in chunks. I let it simmer for another 10-15mins, and then it was ready to eat!!

This soup is *really* easy, and so so good! Let me know if anyone tries it

Posts: 227 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dream_blammerator
Neophyte
Member # 23624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dream_blammerator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran across this thread not long ago, and decided I needed to add something! I am absolutely crazy about food, and I'm going to school for it...so what the hey! Here's a recipe I came up with one day...I was so proud of myself It is more of a meal than a simple dish though...but it is delicious none the less! Amounts can be reduced or increased as you like, as the recipe I typed is a rather large one!

Oven Roasted Chicken with a Garlic Tarragon Cream Sauce

4-6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Halves
1-2 Tbl. Butter or oil
1-2 Medium Onions, diced (2 C)
1 ½ C diced Garlic
16 oz Heavy Cream
1 C Finely Chopped Tarragon (preferably fresh)

1. Dice onions, garlic, and tarragon.
2. Put butter in a pan and place over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook until soft.
3. Place chicken in pan with garlic and onions and sear both sides until desired color is reached.
4. Place seared chicken breasts into a glass dish, or even a sheet tray, and place in oven at 375 degrees F for 25-30 min.
5. While chicken is cooking, add heavy cream to the pan with the onions and garlic. Stir frequently, but let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Add tarragon and stir. Let simmer until the sauce can coat the back of a spoon.
6. After chicken is done, the sauce can either be strained and ladled over the chicken, or it can be left as is for more texture and color.
7. Serve with your favorite side dishes. Mashed potatoes are my favorite to go with this chicken.

I also have about a million recipies for salmon that I must find. Enjoy, and since I bumped this way up...contribute? I love trying new recipes!

Posts: 27 | From: Ohio | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm. I actually have something to contribute! Whoooo!

Now, I don't know about caloric content, but it's completely clean. No chemicals or gluten in this recipe--and it's REALLY good. My SO made it for us. It was fantastic.

1 Package ground Turkey
1 container organic Salsa, medium
1/2 cup chopped onions and peppers--you pick
As many 6 inch corn torillas as you like
Extra Virgin Olive oil

Brown the turkey in a large, nonstick skillet. Pour out the juices. Add the veggies and about half a cup of the salsa and cook until the veggies are soft. Remove from pan.

Add a little olive oil in the pan. Warm the tortillas on both sides.

Set it all on a table, including the rest of the salsa. Build up your tortillas as much as you like, and enjoy!

I also add a little bit of cheddar cheese to to it, and it tastes FANTASTIC.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toonses
Neophyte
Member # 25407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toonses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try adding new ingredients to your salads like Nasturtium flowers, Bee Balm flowers or watercress.

You can make a unique and yummy honey by taking viola flowers (NOT african violets), blending them (in the blender), and adding a little lemon juice and then your honey.

NOTE: If you are using flowers from your garden PLEASE make sure they have not been sprayed with pesticides, weed killer, fertilizer or exposed to animal droppings.

OK this one is really not healthy since it's fried - but it's really good, and really unusual.

In the spring when all the dandelions come up and start flowering, pick the flower heads (while they are yellow). Again - PLEASE make sure that the ones you pick are not subjected to pesticides, weed killer, fertilizer, or animal droppings. Make up a frying batter with a flour base - like a beer batter, and fry up the flowers. These taste really good. Hey - if you're weeding and are pulling up the whole plant, save the leaves for a nice salad.

Grilled Tomatoes:
Whole Tomatoes
Cheese
Garlic
Basil
Oregano
Spices

Take a whole tomato, cut off only the top. Then take a spoon and carefully remove the loose insides. Leave the meat on the skin so they aren't as fragile. Mix up your choice of spices (I really like garlic with fresh basil and oregano) with the insides. Then put the insides back into the tomato along with some grated cheese. Note - be careful not to add too much volume with the spices or you won't be able to fit it back in. Cook on your grill (the bottom gets kind of soggy in the oven).

This is my favorite panini combination:
Goat Cheese
Fresh Basil
Fresh Spinach
Artichoke Hearts
Tomato with a little red wine vinegar

Be careful not to over toast this, as you don't want your leafy stuff getting overcooked and soggy.

Ever consider having grapes and cheese for lunch? It's amazing how good they taste together - although I probably wouldn't recomend eating this all the time since that much cheese would likely not be very good for you. Still, as an ocasional lunch or dinner I think it's great and can sit fairly light (as opposed to feeling like a lump in your stomach).

Fig Thingies: lol
Figs
Cheese
Bread

Take a thick bread like french bread and cut in half lengthwise. Spread cheese (Brie goes really well), and then add sliced figs all over the top. Bake in the oven till cheese is melted and bread is slightly toasty.

Lazy Hummus in the food processor:
2 cans of chick peas/garbanzo beans
1/2 Peanut Butter sized jar of tahini - probably about a cup to a cup and a half.
Olive Oil (I eyeball this, but for this size recipe, probably around half a cup)
Garlic
1/2 Onion
Fresh Parsley
Lemon Juice
Paprika
Nutmeg
Salt (just a little)

Start with fresh garlic, onion, and parsley in the food processor. If you don't chop these up first, you will have chunks of them in your hummus, and hummus should be smooth. Drain the chick peas but save a bit of the liquid. Add all ingredients (except chick pea liquid). Use liquid and olive oil to adjust for the proper consistency. Adjust lemon juice and dry spices according to taste. This is very much a taste and adjust kind of thing.

Note: Use only a little of the nutmeg. You should not even be aware it is in there. If you can taste it, you've added too much.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faeryprinces
Activist
Member # 12405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faeryprinces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I needed to add another great recipe. Totally healthy and full of fiber, and my friends and family go nuts for this whenever I make it!

Seven Layer Tortilla Pie

2- 14 oz. cans Black Beans
2- 14 oz. cans White Beans
1- 14 oz. can Tomato Sauce
1- 4 oz. can Chopped Green Chili Peppers
½ sweet Red Pepper; chopped
½ sweet Green pepper; chopped
½ small onion; chopped
1 clove Garlic; minced
2 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Package 8 in. flour Tortillas (I like to try the different ones, last time I used sundried tomato tortillas)
1- 2cup package shredded cheddar

Preheat oven to 375°

In a large fry pan sauté the chopped peppers, chilis, onion, and garlic using the olive oil. Once tender, add the can of tomato sauce, chili powder and ground cumin. Stir and simmer; allowing the mixture to reduce by half.

Open 2 cans of Black Beans into one bowl, 2 cans of white beans into a second bowl. Once the tomato sauce mixture has reduced; mix half of it into each bean bowl.

Spray the bottom of a pie dish with cooking spray and place it on top of 2 criss-crossed pieces of aluminum foil. Place your first tortilla in the bottom of the dish, pour some of the black bean mixture on top and spread evenly. Top with cheese and press another tortilla lightly on top. On this layer pour the white beans. Continue tortilla, beans, cheese… when you get to the last tortilla mix the last of your white and black bean mixture together, pour on top and finish with cheese.

Close up the Tortilla pie with the criss-crossed foil and place in the oven for approximately 20 minutes. Let stand for about 6 minutes before cutting and serve with salsa and sour cream.

Enjoy!!

Posts: 227 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarHallie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is an old thread but I made yummy impromptu soup from scratch and would love to share it will everyone!

Healthy Hallie's Turkey Meatball Veggie Soup!"

Ingredients:

1 package ground turkey, rolled into balls
2 leeks, trimmed and cut
1 bundle of green asparagus, trimmed and cut
4 green onions, cut
2 cartons organic chicken stock
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
5 to 6 whole large white mushrooms, sliced (or one of those pre-sliced packages will do!)
Fresh ground pepper, to taste

Instructions:

Cover bottom of a large, deep sauepan with olive oil. Over medium-high heat, cook turkey meatballs, turning frequently, on the bottom of the saucepan until cooked through (about 10 minutes). Add chicken stock, and reduce to a simmer. Add cut leeks, green onions, mushrooms, and asparagus. Let soup simmer until veggies are cooked through.

Top with fresh ground pepper to taste, and Serve with with fresh sourdough baguette!

The soup is tasty, healthy, light, and full of protein. Yum. If preparing to impress, cut up chilled jicama slices served with a half of a lime. They're a cool and refreshing counterpart to the soup. [Smile]

--------------------
"Sex without love is an empty experience, but as empty experiences go, it's one of the best."
-Woody Allen

Posts: 231 | From: California, USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, guys... I don't have any recipes to share (yet!) but I am SO bookmarking this page and coming back to it whenever I feel like trying something new in the kitchen. These all sound absolutely delish! [Big Grin]

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LollySocks
Activist
Member # 31077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LollySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody have any good vegan recipes? [Big Grin]

--------------------
break down, rebuild, repeat.

Posts: 64 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a recipe, per say. But I did want to toss in a word for one of my newest favorite foods...

Spaghetti Squash

It can be cooked in the oven or microwave. And I've found that the microwave does just as good a job for less time and less energy.

To microwave: Puncture the spaghetti squash several times on all sides. Place it on a plate lined with several pieces of paper towel. Put it in the microwave for 10-15 minutes (depending upon the strength of your microwave). Roll the squash at least 3x during cooking. The squash will be somewhat squishy to touch when it is done cooking. Set it aside to cool for a while after you take it out of the microwave. Once cool enough to handle, slice the squash in half from top to bottom. Spoon out the "guts." After you've removed the guts and the seeds, take a fork and scrap across the flesh of the squash. It'll come out in ribbons and looks much like spaghetti.

I really love spaghetti squash. It's quick and easy to cook. You can substitute it for pasta in a multitude of dishes.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazymonkey
Neophyte
Member # 31014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazymonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just alittle dipping sauce for bread/crackers or flavoring to pour on in addition to some kind of pasta

extra virgin olive
lemon juice
chopped garlic
italian spices or any other herbs
mix and enjoy

Posts: 28 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narwhal
Activist
Member # 34755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narwhal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smoothies! And they're vegan, for anyone for whom that's important.

1 block tofu, preferably silken
fruit of your choice: strawberries are good, as are peaches, bananas, pineapple...just whatever is ripe and in season
juice of 2 oranges, or a little store-bought fruit juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
a little maple syrup, if you have a sweet tooth

toss it all in the blender and whirl it around until it's, well, smooth. If it's too thick add a little water, or more fruit juice. You can also put yogurt into it, if you want.

This recipe saved my life when I had problems with an old root canal and had to have dental surgery. It's from the Tassajara Recipe Book by Edward Brown, which is a great book full of delicious vegetarian recipes. I recommend it to pretty much everyone I know [Smile]

Posts: 147 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something good and vegan...

(if you haven't noticed, many of my recipes involve pasta and a skillet)

GUMMY'S SPAGHETTI WESTERN

Ingredients, proportions are estimated, accuracy not a big deal

1 red or orange bell pepper diced (they're sweeter and prettier)
1 cup diced yellow or brown onion
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 can black beans
1 small can of corn (no salt added)
whole grain pasta (any shape will work, although I'd recommend rotelle, penne or anything else in small pieces; noodles might be harder to work with)
1 packet of taco seasoning*
1 tablespoon olive oil
*if you do not have taco seasoning, throw together some: paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, marjoram, oregano and whatever else suits you -- but cumin and cayenne are key!

Boil the pasta without salt (I'm into limiting my sodium intake, so should you!) Don't overcook, or it'll fall apart in the skillet.

While the pasta is boiling, heat up the skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté the onions, bell peppers and mushrooms till the onions are caramelized,and the veggies are softened. Drain the pasta and set aside. Throw in the corn. Throw in the pasta. Turn up the heat and throw in the beans. Stir it all up. Stir in the spices. Serve.

--------------------
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Bramble*
Neophyte
Member # 37018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Bramble*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've found my thread! lol. I made a new set of pancakes the other day. My roomate is doing the vegatarian thing, which seems to be going well for her, so I'm looking at different recipes so everyone's happy. This is what I found. Peanut Butter Pancakes! ^__^

I got the actual recipe from the Jiff site but I used an off brand peanut butter.

1 c sifted Self Rising flour (even though the actual recipe says to use All Purpose)
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 Teaspoon salt

Wet Stuff

1/2-1 cup peanut butter (smooth or chucky is fine. I just eye balled the amount)
1 egg
2 tablespoons oil

Instructions

1. Heat a griddle on about 2-3 depending on your oven. Spray with cooking spray.

2. Beat egg and peanut butter together then add oil and mix.

3 (You can do this over the bowl with a sifter) add flour,salt, and sugar into wet ingrediant and mix until it comes together. It will be thick.

4. Drop about 2 tablespoons onto hot griddle and allow to cook.
The original recipe says until bubbles break the surface, but I'd just go until it was done on the bottom.

They are going to be a pale to dark golden brown on bottom

Serve with chocolate syrup (my roomate's choice)
Kryo (my dad's friend Nick)
Mayple Syrup (my dad)
Honey (me)

Please feel free to let me know how this turns out!

--------------------
Love me or Hate me, I'm an addiction you'll never forget

Posts: 6 | From: Memphis,TN | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reporting that I tried the "Seven Layer Tortilla pie" faeryprincess posted, and it was fantastic! It tasted like it was bad-for-you-fattening while being totally healthy and -gasp- vegetarian.

The only recommendation I have is to use only one can each of the beans, and perhaps reduce the sauce mixture accordingly. Unless you have ungodly large pie pans and tortillas, there's just no way not to make it all in one, unless you want to make 2 seperately.

Believe me, it was so good I wanted to! And I usually hate peppers and stuff. [Big Grin]

[ 02-25-2008, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently been making a slightly altered version of Paula Deen's "Italian Chicken & Vegetable Soup" (see the Food Network site if you want her exact recipe)...

2 tablespoons olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 1 3/4 pounds)
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup sliced carrots (about 3 small)
2 1/2 cups sliced zucchini (about 2 medium) (I like to use one green and one yellow if I can find both that look good)
2 (14.5-ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes
2 (14.5-ounce) cans chicken broth or stock
Salt, pepper, basil, garlic, and oregano
Several handfuls of small (preferably whole wheat) pasta, cooked al'dente

In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Salt & pepper the chicken pieces. Add chicken, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add onion, carrot, and minced garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in zucchini, diced tomatoes, oregano, basil, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. About 5-10 minutes before the end of the cook time, add the cooked pasta.

----

I'd say this makes about 8-10 servings (give or take depending upon how much pasta you add). It freezes really well too. The soup is pretty thick, so if you like it soup-ier, you might either add extra broth or add some water. I also usually cover it for about half of the cooking time to to help prevent too much evaporation. I like this recipe because it is really quick and easy to prepare. You also only need the one pot, which is a huge plus in my book! It only takes a few minutes to prep all of the ingredients. This is also super easy to alter if you want to make a vegetarian version. I'll warn you, this is a pretty mild reciep. So if you're looking for some spicy food, you're going to have to add whatever extra spices you happen to like. I tend to like my food pretty mild though, so it works well for me.

[ 02-26-2008, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

In case anybody is feeling 'snacky' these days, I thought I'd pass along a recipe (that I got from a friend several years ago) for one of my favorite snacks that I made recently...

Aimee’s Granola

10 cups oats (NOT instant)
2 cups chopped nuts (whatever you prefer -- I like almonds and pecans or walunts)
1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds (in a pinch, the roasted/salted will do, but try to find some with the least amount of stuff on the outside possible)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup honey

Stir all ingredients together in a large bowl. Spread evenly on a baking sheet (you’ll need either 2 cookie sheets w/ sides or you’ll have to do this in 2 batches) and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown. Stir every 15 minutes while cooking. Refrigerate when cool. If desired, add extra granola ingredients when cool (I like dried cranberries, raisins, strawberries or even a few M&M’s). (Makes: A LOT!)

You may find that you need to adjust this recipe a little bit depending on your particular oven. For example, my oven runs a little on the hot side, so I brought the temp down to 325 degrees and stir about every 10-12 minutes. You’ve just got to watch this recipe carefully because it can go from golden brown and delicious to burnt and stinky in a matter of minutes if you’re not paying attention. This is a very loose granola, so if you’re looking for bars or a really chunky granola, you’ll need to either modify this recipe or find a new one. [Smile] (This time, I also added 2 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter and an extra dash of cinnamon and nutmeg just to dial up the flavor a little bit more.) I like this granola for snacking or for mixing with yogurt.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually been cooking a lot. I just made a vegan alphabet soup.

Here's what you do (notice I don't use measurements):

Get a soup/stock pot that can hold about 6 cups or more.

Fill about 25% with veggie stock or water. Boil.

Chop up about half a celery heart, 1 large carrot, and half a large onion (brown ones are cheap and tasty). Throw into boiling stock.

Add water to submerge vegetables.

Add one or two small cans of drained, sliced mushrooms.

Throw in about three fistfuls of dry pasta (I used tri-color alphabet noodles, but fusilli works, too). Lower heat and simmer.

When pasta is almost al dente, stir in one small can of tomato paste.

Turn off heat, add salt, pepper (I used cayenne, black and white pepper), a dash of red wine if you like (I used port). Then throw in a few generous pinches of basil, oregano, parsley and whatever other herbs you like.

Let sit about half an hour, then serve.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.