Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Mono????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mono????
Candy_Chica
Activist
Member # 154

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Candy_Chica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend recently told me that she had Mono and that she was going to die because she didn't go to the doctor on time, and that it cause irrepairable damage to her immune system. She may be around for another 5 years.

The thing is, other people are telling me that she's probably lying (no one has substantial evidence) and that no one EVER dies from Mono nowadays. This is starting to make me kind of mad.

She's not a person that is known to lie, but I'm feeling as though I need assurance. Is this possible???

------------------
Candy
Property of Freud's School of IDiots
No. 6785-4398-3655

Posts: 67 | From: El Paso, Texas, United States | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She isn't going to die, and unless her immune system was already supressed by another chronic illness, the immune system thing is a bust.

Rarely, mononucleosis will kill highly immunosupressed individuals (but in those invidividuals, any number of illnesses could be the straw that broke the camels back, it's not specific to mono), but it will do so if it does most likely during the coarse of the illness.

Even in that case, 5 years seems like a seriously long prognosis, and going to the doc earlier or later, unless she got a multitude of secondary infections OTHER than mono that were also untreated...again, I'd really question it. Is she ill all the time? People who are immunosuppressed usually struggle with numerous infections, medication and other illnesses constantly.

Mononucleosis itself does not HAVE a specific treatment that a doctor administers(often, if a secondary throat infection occurs, simple antibiotics are given, but that's it), and is instead simply treated by rest. The only thing her doctor would have done if she did (or did not) see him at ANY time during the illness is tell her to stay home and get some rest. So, you could go to the doc the first day your had mono or the twentieth, and there still isn't any different treatment.

While mononucleosis can in rare cases cause occasional complications, those effects are often either secondary throat infection, rupture of spleen which is very (rare), neurologic complications (also very rare), seizures, hepatitis or anemia.

All in all, if she is this ill, it couldn't be caused by only mono.

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited July 22, 2000).]

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theglitztiger
Neophyte
Member # 664

Icon 3 posted      Profile for theglitztiger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Candy u dont need to fear Mono is a tough disesae but I have been through it. basicaly It makes you tired and your mouth gets dry and It feels like the flu for like 2 months. Its not really fun but I havent heard of anyone dying from it. However mono isnt as hard to get as it seems ,its sneaky so dont share waterbottles and use plenty of hand sanitiser .The truth is your friend probably needs you now ,and she wants attention . to tell you the truth being stuck in the house for 3 months isnt exactly fun. I Have advanced epstein barr thats what mono can turn into if you dont watch out so tell your friend to drink a lot ..
Dont worry you and your friend will be fine

Posts: 27 | From: nj usa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NYCFashionista
Neophyte
Member # 778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYCFashionista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Candy, I had walking Mono for a year......oh boy, can I tell you, it is the PITS, and I didn't even have it that badly. I would be EXAUSTED, and I was getting plenty of sleep and eating properly, but I had it pretty mildy. That was one tough year. My friend, on the other hand, was bed-ridden for 6 months and didn't have enough power to squeeze toothpaste out of the tube!!!! You can catch mono from kissing or from sharing a Snapple with ur friend. Hope I helped!
Posts: 9 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d1TzY8
Activist
Member # 372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d1TzY8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trust me...the odds are against her that shes going to die. I was VERY sick my freshmen year and alllll i wanted to do was sleep. About a month later, I got checked out, and I had a severe case of mono.

Two years later, Im A O.K.!!

Im not saying she's lying, but maybe she was mis-informed or heard something wrong.

------------------
The *SeXiEsT* guys wear NOTHING but a smile!

Posts: 316 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YazzieAlana
Neophyte
Member # 816

Icon 4 posted      Profile for YazzieAlana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe she just FEELS like she is going to die? Maybe shes just exagerating cos she wants sympathy? Maybe its that she wishes she would die? (believe me its **** to be sick and have no one around you understand what you are going through)

[This message has been edited by YazzieAlana (edited August 07, 2000).]

Posts: 7 | From: australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.