Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Whats your favorite...health food? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Whats your favorite...health food?
shine
Neophyte
Member # 6523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a total health-food gal, because with my family it's extremely difficult not to be one.

But my number one favourite if tofu. I adore it. Cooked any possible way, but right now I'm addicted to fried with lots of garlic.

I also love tempah, and now that my mom's addicted to Udon and veggie sushi I've been getting a lot of that too.

Anything from our local farmer's market, or the two nearby co-ops, or fresh veggies from out land share in a farm that belongs to my brother's (and my former) elementary school. (It's a Montessori school, they own this farm where the kids can go up and work and grow organic fruits and veggies.) We've been eating really well this summer.

Posts: 13 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairie
Activist
Member # 8914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fairie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am completely addicted to all fruits and veggies( I really don't think there are any I've tried I haven't liked) but I have at least an apple everyday. My life wouldn't be complete without them. Eating healthy is hard around here because my family is more convinience(sp) than health friendly. I'm also pretty sure they're allergic to anything healthy,reduced/fat free, organic, etc... (I got salt free ketchup and I thought my parents were going to throw up!) Oh, I'm not sure if this counts as "health food" but I LOVE oatmeal, its so gooey and good! Well I'm off to raid my fruit bowl

------------------
Live,Laugh,Love

Posts: 101 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omoni
Neophyte
Member # 11367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rice crackers. The rice thins? Those are super, and they're really low in fat.

------------------
"I would rather see the world from a different angle..."

--Jewel

Posts: 29 | From: Misssissuaga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RumpusParable
Activist
Member # 2295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RumpusParable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for just a single food: broccoli.
Posts: 160 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rice cakes. I just tried them a week or so ago and they are wonderful.

I've been eating some with popcorn and it's just like my previous favorite snack but without the inconvenience of having to use the microwave.

------------------
"I'll memorize everything you do to me/So I can teach it when it comes my turn."
-- Semisonic, "Chemistry"

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faeryprinces
Activist
Member # 12405

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Faeryprinces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So since I started school again, and everything in the cafe here at my PSU campus makes me sick to my stomach...literally... haha I've been making more and more trips to the local walmart to buy healthy snacks, and I've absolutely fallen in love with these things called dippin stix. SO GREAT. They're like a dunkaroo pack for fruits and veggies! I have in my lil microfridge right now, apples w/peanut butter, apples w/caramel, and apples w/fruit dip. I also have the baby carrots w/ ranch or bleu cheese dip... They're amazing, haha. though i dont know how the sliced apples keep from turning brown...hmm, thats one thing that keeps me thinking, but i still eat it! I'd suggest everyone to try them, they're really great when you're on the go, and esp for college goers in the dorms..they're cheap too, only like $1 each!
Posts: 227 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have discovered the Mexican fruit cart next to the hospital on campus (actually, the whole place is a hospital, but i digress), and it is a great and wonderful thing.

Maria chops up watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapples, honeydew, jicama and coconuts and serves them with salt, lemon juice and chilli powder (but I prefer my fruit plain, so it still tastes like fruit). Portions are $2, and it's enough for a full and hearty lunch. Yum! My favorite part is the coconut, but I only get two or three slivers of that.

------------------
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone mentioned soya products today (hello Logic Grrl), so I looked for a thread to post my favourite ways of eating soya, and found this mouth-watering thread which just makes you want to eat healthy food!

So....I like marinated tofu to put in my stir-fry. I buy it ready-marinated so it is a really quick no-brainer to add it to a stir-fry as a protein source. For any Brits reading, I buy the Cauldron Foods one.

Also I lke soya beans themselves - you can buy them dried, soak them overnight (I think it's 12 hours), and then unlike other dried beans, you can just eat them as they are. They taste a bit like raw peas or something similar. They are fun to prepare too, because they start out round, but after soaking they are bean-shaped. It's quite odd. They add crunch to a stirfry. Another thing you can do with them (not quite as healthy though!) is stirfry them for a few minutes in a little oil, then stir in a little salt, and make your own crunchy snack. I have to buy some again, haven't thought about them in ages.....

And after today's discussion in the menstrual cramps thread, I have to mention Green and Black's organic plain chocolate that we have in the UK, even though it's not strictly health food. Its cocoa levels are to-die-for (70%), and it has so much more flavour than ordinary chocolate. If you must eat chocolate, this is the healthiest it gets I think, and it's fairly traded too......what more could you ask for in a bar of chocolate??

------------------
Londongirl
Thirtysomething and counting
Who the **** is Londongirl?

[This message has been edited by Londongirl (edited 09-06-2004).]

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Green and Black's--I have to try this stuff.

As for favorite healthy foods, I love homemade honey whole wheat bread, black bean dip, hummus, and baba ghannouj; tempeh (when well-prepared), Fuji apples, berries and organic yogurt (lately I've been picking all sorts of berries from the backyard); all nuts except Brazil nuts, baby carrots with natural peanut butter, wild rice, sweet potatoes, plums and kiwifruit. Whole wheat pasta can also redeem any meal in my eyes. My favorite sweetener is maple syrup and for cereal, I love Barbara's Bakery Cinnamon Puffins. With soy milk, those crunchy squares are divine.

I could name so many more, but I'm getting pretty hungry even now

Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to confess, it's very odd to me to see most of the things in this post listed as "health" foods when...well, they're all just basic food -- some of the most basic there are -- in general.

Just curious: to those of you to whom things like fruits, whole grains, tofu, vegetables are "health" foods, how much of your diet do they make up. In other words, do they seem like "health foods" because most of what you eat isn't healthy, or because you feel like they're presented that way?

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunshinegurl707
Neophyte
Member # 18502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunshinegurl707     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely love soy ice cream Soy Dream is my favorite brand in the Chocolate Brownie flavor...yumm...and peanut butter and banana sandwiches on whole wheat bread are awesome too
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is "health food"? Mmmm good question.

"Health food" makes me think of things I would expect to find in a "health food shop", like soya products, dried beans, herbal tea. I don't actually think it is a very useful way to classify food - not everything in a "health food shop" is necessarily healthy, and you can buy healthy foods elsewhere too.

In terms of deciding what to eat for good health, maybe it is more useful to think about "eating healthily", rather than labelling foods as "good" and "bad" in any way. People with eating disorders tend to think about food in this black and white, way, which is clearly a problem.

Individual foods are not really inherently healthy or unhealthy, it depends how much you eat them, e.g. a little chocolate isn't going to do you any harm, and is apparently a good source of magnesium. I think all things in moderation is a very useful principle, and getting a good balance of different foods is key to eating healthily.

Things I eat which I would regard as less than ideal are: ready meals, take aways, cream cakes, crisps. But I don't view them as bad either, and don't worry so long as I'm not eating these things all the time. Also, a low fat, low salt or organic ready meal may be a healthier option than a regular one, and if I choose boiled rice with my chinese takeaway that makes it more healthy.

------------------
Londongirl
Thirtysomething and counting
Who the **** is Londongirl?

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChitarraRegazza
Neophyte
Member # 15161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChitarraRegazza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miz S, I think it's probably in the presentation. I never questioned the classification of fruit and so forth as health food, and I do a reasonably good job of eating healthily.

Let's see... My favorite breakfast is a (pink) grapefruit! Cold iceberg lettuce makes a great snack (all of the crunch of chips, none of the grease and salt); though it really doesn't have much to offer in the nutrition, it's better than the aforementioned chips. And if you like apple slices, putting them in the fridge with a little lemon juice will keep them from getting brown. And Rice Dream... there is no greater glory.

For all of you who love tofu- do you have any tips for preparing it? I've tried a few times, and the results have been disasterous (rather like the rest of my cooking...)

-Catie

Posts: 25 | From: mass and ny | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there was a sale on Special K red berries and almond/vanilla. I bought a box of each, and wow, I'm hooked. It's been my breakfast for the past 2 weeks. makes a great snack.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairywings
Neophyte
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fairywings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mmm... foood...
i'm a vegetarian, although i eat fish when i'm visiting people so they don't feel like they're making me starve. so 'health food' to me is basically basic food, stuff that isn't full of strange chemicals and insanely processed. as my mom told me when i was little, if i can't pronounce it, i probably shouldn't eat it. (although now, i can pronounce most of it..)

so what i like:
i absolutely love hummus!!! it's so good! especially when my mom and i make it. yum! i use it on sandwiches instead of butter. i also love roasted soy beans. i got my friends addicted too! frozen grapes are so good! and sushi! (i'm so hungry now!!) i love 'whole' juices, but i absolutly detest bananas and so many of them have bananas. the slightest taste of bananas makes me want to vomit. red currants are so yummy! i only eat them right off the bush. and raspberries and strawberries. oh my this could go on for a while

one thing you should never ever try is tofu over a camp fire. doesn't work. it WILL NOT stay on a stick. and tinfoil with veggies is not much better. so if you're going camping, leave the tofu at home.

Posts: 26 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenna D.
Activist
Member # 18964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenna D.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my caf, it's hard to eat properly... hooray for grease. :-S Basically we just have to remember to eat our veggies and not overload on Cadbury's chocolate spread. Personally, I like clementine oranges and baby-cut carrots, and cucumbers... mmm, cucumbers...
Posts: 72 | From: Scarborough, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm, strawberries. My boyfriend bought me three baskets from a roadside stand. Perfect: firm and sweet.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

blueveggie
Activist
Member # 26508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueveggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
Honestly, I just don't like or even eat foods which aren't healthy.

Same.. except I do enjoy root beer, I really do.. but the Hansen's All Natural has (get this) 46 GRAMS OF SUGAR *choke*..

I'm pretty sugar-conscious. Not that I have any weight to lose but I feel better when avoiding crap like that.. plus I gain/keep muscle better, and in my line of sports that's a plus [Smile]

For the most part I'm pretty healthy although I do stray occasionally...

Posts: 86 | From: southern CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got another! Plain yogurt mixed with a teaspoon of honey and granola (my granola of choice is vanilla macaroon). This was actually a mixture to put on my face as a complexion-clearing mask ( [Razz] ) but since all the ingredients are edible, I decided to make it again and eat it. [Smile]
Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally second the special K almond & vanilla! Doesn't even really need milk, as far as i'm concerned!

I've rediscovered yogurt. I go through spurts where i just have to have yogurt everyday - sometimes more than once a day, even. I really like the fruit stuff, but it has to be stirred! None of 'fruit on the bottom' business. [Razz]

I've also been on a real fruit kick recently. I bought a few fruit smoothies (100% fruit) and they're really yummy, and they fill you up as if you've just eaten a whole meal. Convenient, and healthy even (!!), when you need to eat on the go. (NOT that i'm saying you should drink fruit smoothies in place of meals. Come on now [Razz] )

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zeta
Activist
Member # 20185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, wondering about why are calories such a great concern in this "health food" question. I have managed to brainwash myself to seriously dislike junk food -not for the calorie content, but for the lack of nutrients. I used to be a tad eating disordered when younger, I guess that's where the actual *hatred* for junk food comes from, but that passed as I realized that every time I eat a big piece of cheese or a ton of fruit I am doing myself a favor -strong bones and strong immune system, yes please. I shall be strong and not have flu, who gives a hoot about calories.

That said.. I love any fresh vegetables except celery (I am not being diet-contrary; I hate the taste and sooner would starve to death). They're just crunchy. Tofu is good *if* well-marinated -plain it's pretty tasteless. For some reason adding balsamico vinegar in tofu marinades (otherwise containing soy sauce, herbs etc) seems to work.

I like most fruit, but plums... I could live on them.

And the best of all: Tzatziki. Greek food stuff. Take natural youghurt (no fruit, sugar etc), garlic, cucumber, olive oil. Make tiny bits of the cucumber (you can use a kitchen gadget or kitchen knife, it needs to be kinda small but not mush, and if it doesn't have a lot of pesticides use the peel too, it has vitamines) and drain the extra water off in coffee filter or something. Mash garlic cloves (which are antibiotic) to taste, mix all with half litre of natural youghurt (which is awesome for your digestion, avoidance of yeast infection, etc). Add a dash of olive oil (which has all the calories in the world but is good for you and your skin).

Mix everything together, eat with bread. Tastes better than nothing in the world and is about as healthy as it gets.

--------------------
I don't get even, I get odder

Posts: 57 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.