Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Vegetarian

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vegetarian
Claire
Activist
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey ive like only recently become a vegetarian and was wondering what changes i should make to my regular diet to keep all my vitamin and zinc (etc) levels right.
i read somewhere that i will have to start taking vitamins of come kind to supplement the ones i am losing by not eating meat.
Thanx heaps for your help.
Claire

Posts: 82 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd talk to your doctor about it. But I'm a vegetarian, occasionally I'm completely vegan, and I take a lot of vitamin supplments that my doctor recommended after I told her I was a vegetarian. You should also look at the contents of the foods you eat from now on. Try to buy foods that are rich in essential vitamins, especially things like protein and iron. But again, ask your doctor because he/she might have different recommendations than my doctor recommended for me. Good luck!

------------------
Lil Siren
-Scarleteen Advocate
"Isn't it just like you to bring me to my knees, in my brand new stockings, love makes me feel so dumb"- Ani

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a lifelong vegetarian (and also only eat organic, non-processed foods), though on rare occasions, I now eat fish.

Truthfully, most of the vitamins and minnerals one gets are not in meats, but in vegetables, legumes and grains. What you have to concern yourself with losing if you have been eating meat ir protein.

You can substitute for protein with beans, nuts and nut butters, some forms of bean sprouts (like mung and adzuki bean) and soy products like tofu and tempeh, and those proteins are actually easier to digest anyway. Do be careful not to overcompensate for the loss of meat with too much dairy, as that can be very hard on your tummy.

In terms of vitamins, whether you eat meat or not, it is a good idea to take a daily supplement, preferably one in a whole-foods base.

Unless you have an eating disorder, are anemic or diabetic, you really don't need to talk to your doc about switching to a vegetarian diet, especially since the average GP isn't all that well-versed in nutrition. Talking to a dietician is always a good idea, or you can go to your local bookstore and find LOADS of books on the subject, as well as cookbooks to help you learn to make well-balanced meatless meals. Some of my personal favorite basics have always been The Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen, The High Road to Health by Lindsay Wagner, Laurel's Kitchen, and the Moosewood Cookbook.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devil_Diva_2000
Neophyte
Member # 2442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devil_Diva_2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also am a vegetarian!
My miracle foods are -
Cereal, Bagels, and Pasta!
I Love BAGELS!
I recommend a good mulitvitamin supplement with Iron!

Posts: 20 | From: Bangor/Maine/USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be a vegetarian, but I now eat meat of all sorts, although i favor fish over everything else.

One of the most important things to consider when adhereing to a vegetarian diet is that you don't load up on carbs too much. By carbs, I mean processed carbs like cold cereal, breads, and pastas. cold cereal, I was horrified to find out, is absolutely loaded with preservatives to keep the grains from rotting on the shelf. (unless, of course, you buy organic - which I try to do whenever I can) You wouldn't believe how bad cold cereal is for you, although it is often touted as "health food." Frightening stuff!

Legumes and beans should really be the cornerstone of the vegetarian diet. They are high in fiber and protein, and are easily digestable. Veggies and fruits should be a close second - again, organic when possible - Also, be careful of buying veggies grown in Mexico. Nothing against Mexico, as it is a lovely place, but their rules for pesticide use are far less stringent than the USA's - In fact, many of the pesticides we have outlawed in the US are sold to mexico to maintain agricutural profits. Lastly, complex carbs like breads and pastas should be a small part of your diet. Overeating carbs can really cause weight gain and lethargy, plus they don't provide nearly as many nutrients as a vegetarian needs - When I was a vegetarian, I put on 20 lbs because I lived on Mac and cheese and pasta! Definitely not a really healthy option!

Also, nuts should be included in your diet. They provide essential fatty acids and oils, as well as trace nutrients like selenium, that your body loves!

If you have any questions, definitely consult a reputable nutritionist -

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Claire:
Hey ive like only recently become a vegetarian and was wondering what changes i should make to my regular diet to keep all my vitamin and zinc (etc) levels right.
i read somewhere that i will have to start taking vitamins of come kind to supplement the ones i am losing by not eating meat.
Thanx heaps for your help.
Claire

Hey! I recently became one, for several reasons. Anyway, there's lots of great things you can eat that make up for meat. For instance, there are some soy products out there that are high in protein and taste like meat, like here: www.yvesveggie.com They're great. Also, be sure to take some good multivitamins, and, if you're not becoming a vegan, drink milk and eat eggs.

Good luck!

------------------
"Would you rather be reincarnated as a farm animal or a muppet?"

[This message has been edited by Only In Dreams (edited 06-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Only In Dreams (edited 06-10-2001).]

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite site for extremely well researched and usable information is from the people at Vegetarian Resource Group.

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlinkN*boys182
Activist
Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlinkN*boys182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im a vegitaian and i love being one! heres why: Im not a vegitarian b/c i like animals, im a vegitarian b/c i hate plants! lol not really, but my advice is eat lots of rice, tofu and soy milk! yummy. soy ice cream tastes like cold, cold pudding!! Have fun with ur new life style!
Abby

------------------
Sometimes you have to kiss ass, before you can kick it

Watch out! I spell awful!

Posts: 60 | From: over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moth
Activist
Member # 2606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
::vegetarian::

: oints to Miz Scarlet:: What she said. <g> Really, nutrition shouldn't be a big problem.
I also recommend Diet for a Small Planet. It's kinda the classic for vegetarianism. And avoid the downfall of replacing meat with dairy.

-Moth

Posts: 72 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.