Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Perceptions of depression

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Perceptions of depression
daedalus_rebuked
Neophyte
Member # 34216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daedalus_rebuked     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just read this in another forum, from another clinical depression sufferer:

"One of the biggest reasons I found help was because my mom told me she was done trying to help me - that since I wasn't trying to help myself, she was wasting her time. And she turned around & left. That was like having cold water dumped on me. Even though it seemed heartless to me at the time, looking back, I can see it was definitely the most loving thing she could have possibly done."

Just looking for perspective here...reading this made me profoundly sad. I mean, it's great that things worked out for her. But the idea of someone who's already dealing with depression being cut off (by her mother, no less), being told that she's a 'waste of time'...Am I being overly sensitive here? Is 'tough love' an acceptable modus operandi for dealing with people who are depressed?

Posts: 26 | From: Southeastern US | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I felt myself go "yikes" a little bit when reading, "the most loving thing she could have possibly done."

There are definitely more loving things this mother could have done. I mean I've had a lot of experience being around seriously depressed people, and it can be really overwhelming and exhausting. I think it's the responsibility of the listener though to take proper care of themselves and not take out their feelings of impotence on the one who is suffering.

So instead of saying she's "wasting her time" with her daughter (and yeah, I agree, I think special rules apply within a parent-child relationship and even extra care should have been taken)--she could have said things like: she'd hit her limit of how much she felt she could help, and that she really cared about her daughter and that she deserved to feel better, and could she help her find a therapist?

[ 12-24-2008, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: bluejumprope ]

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Honky Cat
Activist
Member # 21090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Honky Cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ehhhh...I'm on the fence. I've experienced depression myself, as have a good portion of both sides of my family. It's certainly not the way I would want to be treated, but at the same time I can see where the poster's mother is coming from. I've dealt with a friend who has various problems, and over the last 8 years I've tried to help her and be there for her, yet it's incredibly frustrating when she ignores her therapy and her counseling and everyone's advice and goes back to her old patterns and her old problems.

I guess what I'm saying is I can see how someone can feel like that when someone they care about is in pain and can't seem to get out of it. Does that mean you should express that to them? I don't know. I think it depends on the person. But again, it's not how I would want to be treated.

Posts: 59 | From: Anywhere, USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking it's along the lines of how they work on that show Intervention. By creating a fake "bottom" you're basically forcing a person to get help, because you're telling them that you're no longer going to support their habit/behaviour.

I'm unsure if I agree to the method, but if it worked for someone, that's great.

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saguy
Neophyte
Member # 32916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it may have worked, it's also a huge risk. Just as easy as it worked, this method could have easily gone the other way and sent the person over the edge.

I'm currently dealing with depression, but I'm also very embarrassed about my situation in life, and I can't even find it in me to ask any of my family for help (also because I don't think they would understand my situation, but that's another topic). I honestly don't know how I would react if somebody would cut me off from support like that.

Posts: 35 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daedalus_rebuked
Neophyte
Member # 34216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daedalus_rebuked     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is really my point: the problem with a 'sink or swim' mentality is that some people are gonna sink. Which is fine in an abstract, Darwinian way, not so much for the one who is sinking.
Posts: 26 | From: Southeastern US | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daedalus_rebuked
Neophyte
Member # 34216

Also, thanks to everyone for their input. Just needed to air this out.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just FYI? For about every reason I can think of, I don't personally think "tough love" is loving at all, or healthy, even if someone being neglected or abandoned may result in some positives for them. I've been pretty outspoken about that in the past.

I mean, put it this way: being sexually assaulted -- more to the point, healing from my abuses -- certainly resulted in some positives for me, such as a better radar for danger, a clear understanding of what was and was not sex, a journey I had to go through which made me very strong.

But I don't think that in any way makes those assaults positive or kindnesses.

[ 12-25-2008, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel crappy that in my first post I didn't take a stronger stand against "tough love." For personal reasons this is an area where it's difficult for me to speak my truth.

So, this is just me voicing my agreement with Heather.

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daedalus_rebuked
Neophyte
Member # 34216

It's ok blue, I also find it sometimes difficult to give something my full-throated support, especially with something I'm still processing. I suppose that's kinda why I posted, looking for empathetic and informed opinions, and you all provided that. Thank you.

Also, thanks for that link, Heather. Still trying to make sense out of some things, and learning about that book couldn't have been more timely.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.