Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » toothaches while exercising

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: toothaches while exercising
hellokitty17
Activist
Member # 30069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellokitty17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been an off-on anorexic since 13 (17 now) and I've been trying to get better, by like eating right and exercising and stuff. Trouble is, when I exercise my teeth ache (the back teeth particuarly) and it hurts unless I like grit my fist against my face, weird...

Anyway, I realize my bones are probably all messed up by now from anorexia (shrunk kinda), but for like the last year or so I've made sure to have milk and cheese and yogurt every day now and spend a lil more time in the sun.

Can anybody please explain these toothaches to me, cuz they only happen when I exercise? I know it's weird, but sometimes I can even feel them like, idk, jiggling in the back and sometimes I'm scared they'll fall out.

Is this from anorexia or just my wisdom teeth finally growing (they're halfway grown) or are these cavities or growing pains or what?

Yes, I realize anorexia is bad, and like I said before, I'm trying to get better. Any help would be great, thx, and sorry if this is in the wrong place, but your "Health and Nutrition" page is read-only now.^^U

--------------------
what makes the one to shake you down?
each touch belongs to each new sound
say now you want to shake me too
move down to me slip into you

Posts: 74 | From: BOBD | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrangePudding
Activist
Member # 40765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrangePudding     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My teeth also hurt when I exercise! It sounds like your situation is a little different from mine - my teeth ache, especially the front ones, and sometimes my mouth tastes bloody even though there's no blood. It hasn't happened for a while, but it was really bothering me about a year ago whenever I would run. I'd also like to hear what anyone has to say about this!
Posts: 222 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hellokitty, are you seeing a nutritionist/therapist/physician to help you with your recovery? If so, those are the people to ask about your toothaches, as they'd know whether or not this could be connected to your history of anorexia. If not, you may want to consider getting professional help to deal with your ED.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hellokitty17
Activist
Member # 30069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellokitty17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah... I'm not seeing anybody. I don't know why; I just get toothaches, and I considered taking an Advil or two, but I'm scared to get addicted, like feel like I need an Advil just to run. [Frown]

Also, umm... while we're talking about weird things happening while running, is it bad if sometimes I get wet when I run? Like, does it happen to a lot of people, or am I weird, or is a health issue or what? [Confused]

--------------------

Posts: 74 | From: BOBD | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LondonBlue
Activist
Member # 38698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LondonBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this problem too, and I asked my dentist about it. Since being severely ill a few years, ago, I've had a lot of trouble with my jaw, particularly on the right side; most of the time, it's fine, but sometimes if I yawn wrong or cough too hard or something, I can't open it. It's really annoying. My dentist doesn't really know what to make of it, but he says it's not rare and not a big deal. I'm not sure if anorexia could produce the same kind of problem as this did, but maybe.

I noticed that when I exercise, it was worse than any other time. Inevitably, my jaw would lock up so much that I couldn't even talk for about an hour. The back teeth would hurt a lot, so maybe it's your jaw that's bothering you even though it feels like a toothache.

When I asked my dentist about this, he said I was likely clenching my jaw muscles without realizing it, and I should make an effort to relax them. It worked, so now as long as I'm paying attention to relaxing my mouth, it's fine.

So you can try that! Just my experience. [Smile] Hope this problem clears up for you!

Posts: 96 | From: West Coast USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hellokitty17
Activist
Member # 30069

haha, maybe it IS my jaw (when I yawn or open my mouth too wide, too, my jaw kind of locks up)

Also, I know this is bad of me, but a ways back my dentist asked me if this happened all the time to me and I lied. I said, "No," and that it was just stress from seeing the dentist and the dentist looked relieved. Oops!!! I hope I didn't make a grave mistake in lieing D=

Also, thanks! I'll try and relax my jaw a bit more (though this hard for me, as I grind my teeth when I sleep D=)

--------------------

orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hellokitty, I might recommend you tell your dentist about the teeth grinding as that can really wear them down. I do the same thing, and I have had braces, go for semi-annual check-ups, brush and floss regularly, etc., but I was starting to have problems from grinding my teeth. My dentist recommended a nightguard (it's quite similar to a retainer) to wear while I sleep so I won't damage my teeth. I know it seems like something minor, but you don't want to get to your thirties and have to get some major work done on your teeth because of years of grinding them in the night. They can be expensive, but it's a pretty small price to pay (and a lot less painful!) compared to extensive dental work.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hellokitty17
Activist
Member # 30069

Mm... I'll have to look into it, but as it is, I have bigger dental issues to deal with (I need braces badly, but I'm about to go into college... not pretty lol)

Welp, thanks for the help and advice, though.

I've heard some people say they use sports mouth guards. Would these work, I wonder? =?

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.