Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Sleeping Patterns

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sleeping Patterns
ausam
Neophyte
Member # 39519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there,

So I am sitting at my computer, browsing topics, upset that it is 1:39pm, and I have not slept since yesterday, when I thought, hey I can ask for some help on here!

So here's my issue. I have a really messed up sleeping pattern. I blame is mostly on choices I make, like staying up late to go out to clubs and sleeping in afterwards, but I also partly blame it on imaginary jet lag.

I moved from Canada to Australia in July, and at first I adjusted well to the time change [13 hours], but recently, university has ended for the summer and that has led to me staying up loate to talk to my family and friends from home. I am rather lonely here with most of my Australian friends gone home for the holidays, so I find comfort in staying up late to talk to my family and friends online.

However these combined things have led to the worst sleeping pattern i have ever experienced. My sleeping pattern goes something like this. I wake up at 5pm-7pm [even if i set alarms for earlier, i end up turning them off in my sleep or sleeping through them] and then i do not fall asleep until about 9am.

Earlier in the week I became fed up and tried to fix this, by staying up for more than 24 hours, so i would fall asleep at a reaosnable time. I fell asleep at 9pm, but then awoke at 9:30. Luckily I fell asleep again at 1am and woke up at 8am, then fell asleep at 1am again. I thought all was fixed at this point. however, I realized that no, all was not fixed, because i didn't wake up until 5pm yesterday, and at 1:47pm have yet to go to bed since then.

My question is does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I have tried setting multiple alarms, this does not work. I have tried the make myself so sleepy i fall asleep early and wake up early method. this did not work.

I am at the point of considering sleeping pills, but I am allergic to a lot of medication and I am afraid to try anything. Does anyone have any suggestions? It is starting to really get to me. I am in Australia, trying to have fun, but it's no fun when I sleep through the entire day.

Thanks,

Ausam

Posts: 28 | From: Aus | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would highly, highly suggest seeing a doctor. You can't fix your sleep patterns in the way you are trying to, and I would venture what you're doing it making it worse, not better.

What a doctor might suggest is putting you through a sleep lab, where you spend 24 hrs in the clinic/hospital and they can monitor your brain activity as you sleep and when you wake.

The only reason I suggest that is because this has obviously progressed beyond something you are able to control. Until the point where you can get help, make your sleep patterns as scheduled as possible. Even if you don't feel tired, go to bed at the same time every night, and wake up at the same time every day. Your body is craving regularity right now, and because it's not getting that, you're sleep patterns are all messed up. Help yourself out and try and make things as regular as possible: in the mean time, try and get yourself some professional help.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.