Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Razor Brand/Shaving Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Razor Brand/Shaving Questions
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 19, and I have never shaved with a razor! When I ready to shave, it took me forever to convince my mom that I had wanted to shave. She kept wanting me to put it off because the hair would grow back thicker and I would regret my decision. When she finally let me, she made me use hair removal cream, and I've been using Veet or wax ever since.

I have very sensitive skin. In the winter, it gets pretty dry. The last three times that I've used Veet, I've broken out in a rash, so I went to the drug store today in search of a razor. I got pretty confused.

I was looking at non-disposable razors because they were on sale. I was looking at the Venus Embrace... and it said on the package that it came with a moisture strip. I got really confused because there was a commercial on tv for a razor where you didn't need shave gel! I didn't want to look dumb buying the razor and the gel if I didn't need it.

There was a package... three Venus disposable razors and it came with a free can of shave gel for sensitive skin.

Which is better... disposables or not? What brand? And also, what kind of shave gel do you recommend for sensitive skin?

And how do I avoid cutting myself? I'm pretty nervous. Veet hasn't irritated my armpits, so I think I'm going to still use it on them... I never knew picking out a razor would be so complicated. I really wish my friends were here to help me out, lol.

Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that a lot of the name brand, expensive razors don't hold a candle to (or are at least not any better than) your normal, run-of-the-mill, disposable razors.

The nice thing about disposable razors is that, because they're inexpensive, you can just buy a big bag of them and whip out a new one every time yours gets dull. I find that it's a bit more of a hassle to replace the non-disposable kind. I never seem to have the new heads on hand, since they usually only come in packs of three or so.

When it comes to shaving gel, I just use soap. But I get a lot of ingrown hairs under my arms, and those would probably lessen if I used actual shaving gel.

I wouldn't worry too much about cutting yourself. It's a little easier to do when the razor is fresh, but in general it's not super easy. I cut myself once the first time I shaved my legs, and I barely noticed. I never cut myself unintentionally after that, though I did stop shaving my legs a few years ago.

So, if you're making the decision to shave, you don't have much to worry about. Your hair won't actually grow back thicker. All shaving does is make hair grow back without its natural taper, making it appear a little thicker and more prickly. You can always stop shaving if you feel it's not for you.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi ScarcelyHeard. Unfortunately, we do not answer questions about hair removal here, but instead we have a nifty Shaving FAQ that you're welcome to take a look at. With the kinds of questions you're asking, you're likely to find that the answer will vary depending on who you ask. You might try asking your friends what they use, or just picking one at random. With shave gel, you'll want to look for one that says "for sensitive skin" on the label. I will say, though, that disposable razors do create a lot of waste, so for the sake of cutting down on pollution, you may want to opt for reusable razors instead and just buy replacement cartridges (I also find that those tend to last longer than disposables anyway).

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I noticed that little FAQ this morning. I should stop making posts when I'm half asleep [Razz]

I have a quick question. Why are you guys so anti-shaving advice? Is it because you've had too many people post topics about being self-conscious or feeling that they have to go along with the trend? I'm just curious.

Think I'm going to contribute to that Shaving/not shaving thread down below. I told my boyfriend how I spent five minutes looking at razors, confused as heck, and he got a good laugh out of it, and we had a little discussion about shaving, which was great. I should ask my girl friends about this. They're all out of town at the moment, and I didn't know when I was going to get a chance to go back to the store... exams are coming up, and I don't have the transportation or the time to get out any time soon [Razz]

Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that we're anti-shaving advice. For one, we've had SO many people come in and ask things like "How do I prevent ingrown hairs/razor burn/nicks/cuts?"...and really, the only answer we can give them is to not shave. It's pretty simple. But most aren't satisfied with that.

Plus, cosmetic issues like hair removal, make-up, etc are not in our mission statement. It just doesn't make sense to give out advice about something when our purpose doesn't include providing information about that particular topic.

So, it's not that we don't like shaving, or advise against it [Smile] . Plenty of the moderators shave, and plenty of us don't. It's more along the lines of the principles of the site, and what we're here for. A user could just as easily use Google and get thousands of hits for shaving tips, brands, etc, whereas there are far fewer good resources on sex and sexuality. Does that make sense?

[ 12-01-2008, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: JamsessionVT ]

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

It makes sense. Thanks!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.