Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Sleepyness during intimacy... HUH?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sleepyness during intimacy... HUH?
Dot
Neophyte
Member # 34171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I get intimate or remotely close to someone whether it's kissing or just plain ol' making out, I feel very sleepy and relaxed and feel I could just fall asleep then and there.
I don't understand if this is normal or not, is there something wrong with me?
I was under the impression kissing and stuff was supposed to make you 'wake up'? It doesn't really feel like that for me.
Any opinions or advice would help me heaps. THANKS!

Posts: 19 | From: La la land. | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokey
Activist
Member # 39760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I understand what you mean... let me know if I don't totally answer what you're after... it could just be a case of the warm and fuzzies where you feel content... I know that feeling always reminds me of warm milk because that's what would make me feel good going to bed as a child...

I know that my partner and I get quite tired and sleepy whenever we spend time together because usually we're generally very on the go and when we finally relax together we're beat... our solution to this was to get some intimate activities happening at times when we're less tired... like when we wake up in the morning (even if that means waking up a little earlier)... or earlier in the afternoon before dinner. Because while our time might be limited earlier in the day, it's of a higher quality than what we'd get from each other at night [Smile]

Posts: 92 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell from your question if your sleepiness bothers you (does it?) or if you're just noticing it and wondering if it's abnormal. I think it's totally normal and I don't think anythings wrong with you.

I agree with smokey. Sometimes being close to someone you like can just be really relaxing and soothing.

Another thought: When I was younger especially, sleepiness was a common anxiety reaction for me. If I had a fight with my parents or was in an uncomfortable sexual situation, I'd just sort of go into hibernation mode. I'm not saying that's what I think it is for you; I'm just throwing that out there.

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dot
Neophyte
Member # 34171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't tell from your question if your sleepiness bothers you (does it?) or if you're just noticing it and wondering if it's abnormal.
I was just noticing it and was wondering if it was abnormal. [Smile]

quote:
When I was younger especially, sleepiness was a common anxiety reaction for me. If I had a fight with my parents or was in an uncomfortable sexual situation, I'd just sort of go into hibernation mode. I'm not saying that's what I think it is for you; I'm just throwing that out there.
Actually, it's funny you mention that. Whenever I've got a speech to do or a presentation of some time. Something which stresses me out I get really tired. It's sounds like what you've got.

However, I think it might be more of the... warm milk idea. I just randomly feel drowsy... not sure if it's from nerves or not. I don't' think it is.

Thanks for both your replies. You've been very helpful. [Smile]

Posts: 19 | From: La la land. | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing happens to me sometimes, and mostly I feel like it's just a nice relaxed, carefree, enjoying-the-moment kind of feeling. If you were suddenly falling asleep every time you got as much as a peck on the lips (kind of a reverse sleeping beauty effect), then there might be a problem. But as is, I think that sleepy feeling personally makes me feel all warm and safe and fuzzy. If it's the same for you, my advice is to enjoy it.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tbelle
Activist
Member # 32076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tbelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I get the same thing sometimes too. I think it may be just that you are content and that all your muscles are relaxing, and your nerves calm down a lot. Being intimate with someone can have a kind of meditative or hypnotic effect. I think this may even be what people mean by "love drunk".

[ 12-06-2008, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: tbelle ]

Posts: 107 | From: New England | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amandah
Neophyte
Member # 41445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amandah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This happens to me also. I just feel way to tired to do anything! Like I feel lazy. It's odd.

--------------------
Mandie <3

Posts: 2 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.