Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Too many zits!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Too many zits!
Insecure-Poetry
Neophyte
Member # 41113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insecure-Poetry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had acne since I was in third grade, and have always been teased for it. I have it bad on my face, my chest, and my back. I've been on the Benzoyl Peroxide 8% wash, taking the acne pills, using topical gel, taking baths daily. I've tried proactive, but it stopped working almost as quickly as it started. It's just not improving much at all. Does anyone have recommendations on some affordable skin care that works well and fast, because this acne has worn out it's welcome after 4 years.

--------------------
Inazuma-Desu @ deviantart
Poet
Psuedonym- Ice Taktgeber

Posts: 8 | From: Nevada | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had trouble with my skin for a while, too. I was prescribed a face wash that contains sulphur that seems to work pretty well. Have you been to a dermatologist?

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not at all an expert, and my advice (try changing your diet) Idir refuted in this thread. He said all of his dermatologists have said that diet has nothing to do with acne.

But, in my experience, becoming a vegan, drinking a lot of water, and stopping smoking, all individually had big effects. I also know several people who are gluten-intolerant, who after removing gluten from their diet had their skin improve.

I think doing a food detox is a good idea for anyone--eliminating a bunch of common allergens for a while and then gradually reintroducing those foods into your diet. There are a bunch of fad detox diets out there which are dangerous, so I'd recommend checking in with an alternative health care practitioner and getting their opinion.

[ 11-24-2008, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: bluejumprope ]

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brianna.lynn
Neophyte
Member # 40512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brianna.lynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried natures cure? It's $10.00 for a months supply and can be bought at Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Kmart, Target etc. I too have had bad acne and Proactive did NOTHING for me. If you're willing and haven't already I would suggest trying Natures Cure... good luck!

--------------------
Brianna

Posts: 13 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insecure-Poetry
Neophyte
Member # 41113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insecure-Poetry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kay, uh I've seen a dermatologist and htey just prescribed me the hardcore stuff.

--------------------
Inazuma-Desu @ deviantart
Poet
Psuedonym- Ice Taktgeber

Posts: 8 | From: Nevada | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djynnjah
Activist
Member # 20056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djynnjah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were you able to take the prescription as advised? I tried everything until my dermy handed me a roaccutane prescription. Expensive, requires close monitoring of your systems while you take it and it has a nasty list of side effects (temporary, thankfully) but I'd do it again if I had to.

On a more affordable scale, exercise never hurts. There's also oil cleansing as an alternative to stripping your skin with lots of products. (I've found it less irritating which equals good for me, but like anything else this may not be for everyone).

--------------------
What don't kill you is a learning experience.

Posts: 65 | From: Caribbean | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strawberrywine
Neophyte
Member # 37366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strawberrywine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I'm allowed to give specifics like this, but here goes. I've had problems with acne for a long time, too. My regular doctor prescribed benzaclyn (a brand name, probably) which was a topical gel that contained benzoyl peroxide and clyndamicin. Worked for a little bit, then didn't at all. I tried another topical medicine that worked a little better, but still wasn't satisfied.

Then my boyfriend told me about something his dermatologist prescribed years ago, a clyndamicin topical solution. So I was prescribed that a week ago, along with a 4% benzoyl peroxide face wash. I don't want to jinx anything, but it's really been working for me. Usually my acne fluctuates and gets better before getting really bad after like 3 days, but my skin started clearing up really fast with this and seems to be staying pretty much the same.

I don't know about price though, our insurance covered both medications.

By the way, Proactiv didn't work at all for me either. That was really a hard thing to deal with.

[ 11-29-2008, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: strawberrywine ]

--------------------
"Who's to say that love needs to be soft and gentle?"
-Dr. Twardon (Secretary)

Posts: 28 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brianna.lynn
Neophyte
Member # 40512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brianna.lynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can, I would try the natures cure. I have tried hard core stuff too and was really surprised to find out that it actually works. Even if you don't think so if you haven't tried it... it's not expensive $10.00 should be a cheap amount to spend for a possible cure. If it doesn't work the first month than don't by it again the next month, easy as pie but you never know, it might just be the thing you need... just like it was for me.

--------------------
Brianna

Posts: 13 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavone
Neophyte
Member # 42741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You gotta make sure that you take good care of your skin as well, especially if you are using products that dry you out, and rip you apart.
Good treatment means a good diet and some TLC.
personally, I have been eating a lot healthier, more balanced diet, increase your vitamin C intake (daily vitamins, oranges) this actually helps heal your skin.
lotion is a huge thing too, because your body produces oil, but if your skin is moisturized, i dont think it will produce as much oil.
So after showers, I immediately rub myself down in lotion, and it makes your skin feel really good, and look clearer and healthier.

The best of luck, acne is such a personal battle.

--------------------
"Destination unknown, but I had this vision; in my mind's eye, this is my decision.
Every single dream, every single fantasy, every single love, every single enemy. Its all for me." - Rebelution

Posts: 1 | From: Georgia | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
When someone has acne, actually, it's just best for them not to put any cosmetic, be it creams or lotion or other things, on their skin.

Why so ? Because this leads more easily to skin follicles obstruction which is just part of the process of how acne develops.

This is just part of how acne develops though, lots of other things come into play too. So this isn't to say that putting cosmetic on your skin will lead to acne, that's not what I'm saying but it sure doesn't help someone who has acne or is prone to develop it.

[ 05-13-2009, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
splishysplash
Activist
Member # 32875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for splishysplash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, i'm on accutane and i didn't have strong acne but it was consistent, and i also had been treated with all the other "remedies" from drugstores, doctors, pills, etc...and i've found accutane to be amazing, really.
Posts: 55 | From: miami | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
williamgeorge
Neophyte
Member # 42878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for williamgeorge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who can suggest the best method for detox diets? I want to choose the right one for me but there are so many.
------------
george

[ 06-05-2009, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: orca ]

Posts: 1 | From: NY | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi williamgeorge. As this is a sexual health website, dieting is rather outside of our scope. But before starting any kind of diet, the best person to talk to is your doctor, who can warn you of potential risks (which many diets do carry) and recommend lifestyle changes to achieve overall health.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.