Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » odd feeling!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: odd feeling!
archp
Neophyte
Member # 40611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for archp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

I am a 26 yr old male. I have always had lots of women and still do, one long term, I do love my women I am the typical bloke, always have been. However about a month ago, I got called "gay" at work, just taking the mick out of me, since then I keep having a sinking feeling because I look at men in different ways, which then play on my mind it has now become sycological, everyday I worry about it, but think I am worrying about nothing..I do not find men arousing or anything like that, it is just really strange...I just want to clear my mind of it!! I am trying to think of anything else that might have kicked me off feeling odd..!

I have had a casual relationships since my long term ex, so this is the first time things have been casual for 5 yrs...ie no full time girlfriend!

Any advice for me??

Many thanks

Posts: 3 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, you might make a lot of people uncomfortable by saying that you've "had" women, and calling them "my women." You may have dated women, or slept with women, but you really don't own them.

If you don't find men attractive, I don't quite get what your worry is. You don't seem to be worried about not being straight (and, even if you are, why don't you ask yourself why that would be something to worry about in the first place). What do you mean by "feeling odd"?

Would you consider exploring counseling or therapy options to explore what you're feeling?

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
archp
Neophyte
Member # 40611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for archp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry the terminology was not great!!

Regarding women, I have always had lots of girlfriends and until about a month ago, when someone at work took the mick out of me saying "your gay", it then played on my mind, it sounds silly I know but I started looking at men in a slightly different way I guess, it gives me a sinkin feeling when I do as it is not me or my normal self and I also don't want to feel like it, I want to be back to my usual self...is this just a weird phase? As I said I do not get aroused by men at all, but as this odd time I am going through I perhaps look at my own sex differently...I shower with 11 other men at football etc and it doesn't cross my mind...I am just wanting some advice of how I am feeling...

Posts: 3 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My biggest advice would be to see a therapist or counselor who can talk through these feelings with you. It sounds to me like what was said to you triggered some underlying emotions, and it would be good to talk to someone in person about them if you can.

Why I say that is that there are infinitely many reasons to be feeling a bit off from time to time, and it's really hard to figure that out just from short snippets. You may wake up feeling just as you used to one day soon, or you may find that you have to deal with some underlying issues.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And in case you're interested, know that you can talk to your supervisor/boss about the comments that person made. Flinging sexual orientations slurs is sexual harassment, and you have every right to call him out on it.
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
archp
Neophyte
Member # 40611

Hi, Thanks for the replies.

Well to be honest I think an therapist is a little too much!! I take on your advice but I think it is just a silly odd month or so at the moment, I just wanted to see if other people had, had some odd feelings like this to sort me out and get me back to my usual self...

whafu
Neophyte
Member # 40743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whafu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think your just losing your confidence about your self, it might be a cause of some badly behaved peer of yours. But umm... you shouldn't worry too much.

MAYBE YOUR WORK MATES ARE JUST INSECURE ABOUT YOU??

Posts: 7 | From: Philippines | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anon555
Activist
Member # 40711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anon555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over here, guys get called "gay" all the time. Some of my guy friends just go with it and start acting silly to freak the random dudes out--gives me a laugh. [Big Grin] My boyfriend is actually bi as well, but it doesn't bother me--gives me ideas for the future instead! (Cosplay, anyone?)

Thing is, it sounds like from what you said you're reconsidering your feelings and trying to see if you're straight, bi, gay, whatever, am I right? I believe teens go through this. I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. Do you? Or perhaps, do you think it's wrong because you want to live to the social standards you were taught?

Love is love, no matter the body of the one we love. I agree with the counselor thing if possible. Also, take some time for some introspection, try to understand yourself more. Take a break from it all and just cater to yourself.

Hope that was somewhat helpful.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.