Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Shaving problem! Help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shaving problem! Help!
AmberB123
Neophyte
Member # 39880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmberB123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heyy, I'm new here...

Basically, I've had trouble for years with shaving. I've always liked to be smooth in the 'downstairs' area. But the problem is, everytime I shave, I always get horrible red marks, razor bumps, ingrown hairs, and itching. And because I have a boyfriend, I like to make sure that it's nice and smooth before I let him near me..
I've literally tried everything. Waxing I've tried, except it's not very good because of the waiting period between each wax- it's not exactly conveniant. Hair removal creams don't work whatsoever- only causes rashes. So shaving is my only option. nothing is working and it's really getting me down, to the point where I can't even be naked in front of my own boyfriend etc!!
I'm currently having lazer treatment to remove the hair but that's only down the sides (like a brazillian wax) whereas I like to have it fully removed, (I just don't want all of it permenantly removed in case I ever decide differently).
I've tried every cream and treatment out there- sensitive shaving gel, bikini zone, calamine lotion to stop itching. But nothing seems to do the trick.
Has anyone got any idea on what I can do to help the appearence of the skin when shaving? Or something to make shaving more bearable (growth starts after just one day!). Bearing in mind I do everything within my power- exfoliating, lotions etc etc. For instance, I shaved yesterday and already it's hurting like hell because of re-growth. How can I stop this? And the idea of keeping hair down there isn't really an option because I personally don't like it.
Grrr Sorry about the ramble, but it's just really getting me down!

Posts: 3 | From: - | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightmyfire
Neophyte
Member # 35506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightmyfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you wait long enough between shaving to make sure that there aren't any more bumps or irritation when you shave again? Because you might want to give it some time to heal up before shaving again.

Sitting in a bath of warm water for a while sometimes works because it opens up the pores and softens the hair, and trimming the hair before you shave (if it's longer) keeps your razor from getting too clogged.

Always use a brand new razor when you shave, and shave in the direction of hair growth to avoid cutting it at an angle that would cause ingrown hairs. Also, the lotions you're using might actually be causing irritation if they're scented or contain certain chemicals.

Noxzema makes razors specifically for the bikini area. I've used them on my bikini line (and I usually get TERRIBLE razor bumps) and they worked really well. I don't know about the whole pubic area though. I'm too fond of my fur. I just keep it trimmed and neat.

Posts: 25 | From: VA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We prefer not to answer questions regarding shaving, as it's a cosmetic issue. The Shaving FAQ

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.