Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » metabolism

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: metabolism
Taylorb
Activist
Member # 39444

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Taylorb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it true that your metabolism changes when you are 14-16?
Posts: 50 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It changes earlier than that. A child's metabolism goes thru the roof when puberty hits. The body undergoes a lot of major changes and grows by leaps and bounds. We need a lot of energy to fuel all the physical developments, so our thyroid glands ramp up our metabolism. This is why it seems like teens can eat half the grain in a silo and still be hungry.

It all slows down when we hit adulthood. By the time you hit 25, your metabolism is gonna be crawling.

This is important to think about because people tend to develop a lot of really awful eating habits as adolescents. I don't know about you guys, but when I was 13, I could pack away a box of 20 piece chicken McNuggets and a super-sized packet of fries, and I still weighed less than 100lbs.

This is not a good thing. Eventually. I changed my habits so I wouldn't pack away so much fried food (if you can call McD's "food"). I eat more veggies now, and I get a LOT of exercise. Too bad this is not the case for most people. Most folks who get into the habit of eating so much junk continue to each so much junk. This is a direct cause of the obesity epidemic that threatens to destroy the developed world.

Obesity is not just about looks. Obesity leads to serious complications like diabetes, heart disease, cancers, lung problems and so forth. The cost of treating these ailments in the long term can and likely will sink health care systems around the world. And childhood obesity may actually result in the first REDUCTION in American life expectancy in a generation since the advent of public health.

Bet you didn't think you'd get such a long answer.

Anyway, yes, expect to have accelerated metabolism. But make sure you develop healthy eating and exercise habits now so you can lead a long, healthful life.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.