Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Never Worn Tampons...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Never Worn Tampons...
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 19... I've had my period since I was 11 and I've never tried to wear tampons before. My mom for some reason, is kind of against it, although all she wears is tampons. I went looking for a pad today and all we had was tampons, so I had to go digging through my bags to find the pads I had brought back from university. A couple years ago, my friend got me to put her tampons in my purse. Well, I forgot about them, and mom found them when she decided to "clean out my purses". I had condoms in my purse as well, and she made a bigger deal about me having tampons than me having condoms. "So, you're wearing THEM now???"

Needless to say... well... I am scared stiff to try them. I was going to try them this morning, but there was no instructions in the box, so I got kind of scared.

So if I'm going to go out and buy tampons... where do I start? There are like a gazillion different kinds and sizes, so how do I know what kind is right for me? I'm on the pill, so my period is lighter and thicker than it usually is, but that's all I could tell you.

Thank you.

Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horizon
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 35890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horizon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, you're an adult now. It shouldn't matter whether or not your mother is for or against your use of tampons-- you can use what you like.

There's really no need to be scared of tampons-- many women use them. When you are buying them, you're going to see different absorbency and different applicator types. I would suggest that you get Regular absorbency tampons, because it is not healthy to use a higher absorbency than you need-- it increases your risk of TSS, (which you can read about on the insert that comes in all boxes.)

There are tampons with cardboard applicators and ones with plastic applicators, (Tampax Pearl is a common brand.) There are also some without applicators at all, I believe, but you're more likely to find the former in your grocery store. Personally, I find it easier to use plastic applicators.

On the box of tampons, it will tell you how to apply them. It's easiest if you squat or put one leg up on a higher surface. It may take a few tries to get it in right, (and you'll know if it's in wrong because it will be pretty uncomfortable-- otherwise, you probably won't feel them inside.)

(Also, a favorite around Scarleteen are these little things called DivaCup that are inserted and contain your menses. They are reusable and better for the environment than tampons, but they may be a little trickier for you. Just a suggestion if you want to look into that, too.)

Does that clear it up for you?

[ 07-17-2008, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Horizon ]

--------------------
-Kayla
Scarleteen Volunteer

"A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses." -Hippocrates

Posts: 755 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That helps a lot [Smile] Thank you for giving me something to go by.
Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.