Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Pain In My Breasts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pain In My Breasts
PureCuriosity
Neophyte
Member # 39126

Icon 9 posted      Profile for PureCuriosity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having these pains in my breasts since I was about 12. I'm older now and though they have subsided a bit, they are still here. I feel them from time to time when I breathe in and it's like the pain lingers, and only in my left breast underneath and on the side of it near the center of my chest. If I breathe in deep, the lingering pain goes from mild to extreme and I have to labor my breathing while massaging that area in order for it to go away. Sometimes it can take a few seconds for the pain to stop or it can take several minutes, one time it took about 20 mins. and that really bothered me. I've been to the doctors for it and they put me on BC for it, saying that it was cysts in my breasts. I even asked them about a mamogram but they said I was way too young for one and that because of my age my insurance wouldn't cover the fee. I had a Great Aunt that suffered from breast cancer and eventually had to get them amputated. I don't check for lumps regularly because I don't know how but I do rub them to check for SOMETHING that may feel unfamiliar. Large milk ducts run in my family and I know that they can feel like lumps but I've never felt anything out of the norm. The BCs I were on (Yaz) worked but because I kept forgetting to take the pill, I stopped taking them. My mom said she had the same problem when she was younger and it didn't go away until her 20s. I don't think it's cysts but then again I'm no doctor. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I know you all don't diagnose anything and I'm not asking for a diagnosis, but if anyone has any information or experience with this, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I just want this to go away.

--------------------
Thanks In Advance!
PureCuriosity

Posts: 29 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jase Watson
Activist
Member # 39090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jase Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heye. Well, it sounds like the doctors you´ve seen might not know exactly what is going on. I would definantly recommend seeing another doctor. Your insurance should cover the cost, regardless of age. That would be considered discrimination of age. You can file a report if it turns out to be true they won´t cover it due to your age. See another doctor and contact your insurance company and ask they´re policy. They´re the ones providing the coverage, not your doctor. Ask for recommendations from different doctors. I wish you best of luck. As for checking your breasts, that´s something really important you should do. Check out this article: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_6x_How_to_perform_a_breast_self_exam_5.asp

--------------------
- Jase Watson

Posts: 58 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PureCuriosity
Neophyte
Member # 39126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PureCuriosity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, thx! I will definitely be going to another doctor then. =)

--------------------
Thanks In Advance!
PureCuriosity

Posts: 29 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear, it is actually common for insurance policies not to cover mammograms for women under 40, or without evidence or a family history of breast cancer, because that's the current medical standard, so Jase is incorrect in saying that your insurance should still cover you, regardless of your age. They very well may not, and that doesn't fall under discrimination since it is in line with the medical standard (and we also obviously have cause to be concerned about doing as little radiation with people as possible as that presents health/cancer risks and issues of its own).

It can be the cysts causing tenderness, by the way, and do know that most breast cysts are benign, and nothing to worry about. It can also just be about your age and breast development, which is why some younger people will have this, then find it fades in time.

There are some things you can also do to decrease breast tenderness. For instance, OCPs usually increase that, not decrease it, so it's odd your doctors would put you on OCPs specifically for breast issues: we usually want to avoid estrogens when breast issues are or may be present. If you drink lots of coffee, caffeinated tea or caffeinated soda, caffeine is also a common culprit with fibrocystic breasts and breast tenderness. Animal proteins (meat and/or dairy) can also increase tenderness, as can being overweight, if that's an issue with you.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PureCuriosity
Neophyte
Member # 39126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PureCuriosity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've been off of soda for about 3 years now and I don't drink coffee (my stomach doesn't agree with it). I do, however, drink tons of water and drink juice when available. I don't eat any red meat but I love dairy products!
What can I do to get rid of the cysts since the BC is not a good option? Maybe change up my diet a little more??

And you mentioned family history for the mamograms. Breast cancer doesnt run rampant in my family like diabetes does, but since I did have an aunt who dealt with it, will that be enough for my insurance to cover it? If not, how much do they usually cost?
BTW, I'm 20 and I'm sure my breasts are fully developed now.=)

--------------------
Thanks In Advance!
PureCuriosity

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you might see if reducing your dairy intake helps, or at least switching over to only skim and very low-fat dairy. If that doesn't help, you may just have to wait a few years, keep an eye on it, and see what happens. Know, too, that sexual development actually usually lasts longer than most people think (for instance, your cervical cell development probably won't be done for another couple of years), and while the size and shape of your breasts may have stopped changing, it's still entirely possible you're having some hormonal changes, or changes to breast cells you don't notice.

In terms of your insurance covering it, my impression is that they are usually looking for direct relatives: sisters, mothers. Plus, really, if you have not noticed any lumps -- do you need help knowing how to tell the difference? -- there likely just isn't a need for the mammogram, nor is one likely to explain anything about your tenderness. One doesn't need a mammogram to identify cysts, and too, often cancerous lumps aren't a cause of tenderness -- if they were. we'd see more women diagnosed with breast cancer earlier than we do. Women with breast cancer usually do not know they have it based on if breasts are tender or not.

In terms of the cost, radiology services usually tend to start in most areas at a couple hundred dollars. But you could certainly ask your doctor if paying cash is an option, and if so, for an estimate if you liked.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PureCuriosity
Neophyte
Member # 39126

Ok, I'll try the skim and very low-fat dairy then. Whatever helps. =)
Thx for the advice, and hopefully you're right, it's just something I will have to grow out of.
I just find it weird that it started at 12 and I'm still dealing with it.

--------------------
Thanks In Advance!
PureCuriosity

Heather
Member # 3

I don't think it's so weird. Again, some of it depends on why it's happening, but too, I generally say that it's sound to say that on average, puberty for most people is around a ten-year-process, and that's an appropriate window to leave open for wonkiness in terms of all aspects of sexual development.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to second heather, it's not so weird. I think when I was about 13 or 14 I got my first cyst (beginning of eight grade) and it was painful as anything. I've had cysts from time to time, sometime the spot I've gotten them in is just a little sore as well.
And the first time I had a cyst I was EXTREMELY freaked out. I've had 3 aunts, my grandmother, and 2 uncles even who've had breast cancer- so that's a pretty significant family history.
But usually, not always mind you, but usually as my doctor has told me, if your having breast pain it's likely not to be something like cancer.

The first time I had a cyst it was really painful and they suggested draining it, which at 14 was a little to scary for me, so they put me on antibiotics and poof! It was gone!

But really, caffeine makes it worse, so soda- (really that includes all dark sodas even if they say caffeine free, coffee, caffeinated tea (though tea really doesn't contain so much caffeine) and chocolate. Those are things to watch out for.

Other than that- well... Really I see my gynecologist whenever I feel like I have one, they usually know enough about that to treat it. So that's what I do.

[ 07-09-2008, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: hs123 ]

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.