Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Paaiin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paaiin
acgal
Neophyte
Member # 36192

Icon 9 posted      Profile for acgal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I had a yeast infection about two weeks ago. I guess I was wrong.

About two weeks ago my boyfriend and I started having intercourse. It was painful, so I made him pull out and when he did there was an instant itchy/burning feeling. It was itching a little bit before hand, so I assumed it was a yeast infection (one of the signs of a yeast infection is pain during intercourse)

I bought the monistat 1 day, used it and there was some relief but it didnt completely go away.

My mom (who is an RN) told me that whenever she used the monistat 1 day, she hardly got relief. She told me to try the monistat 7 day and then worry about contacting my doctor.

The itch went away, except for the occasional twinge. My boyfriend and I started messing around again, but didn't have full blown intercourse - because when he'd use his fingers, just one finger caused pain. I didn't want to try having intercourse knowing that that would cause a lot more pain.

I used the Vagisil screening kit, and according to that I have a yeast infection (my vaginal pH range is 4.5, normal for a vagina).

I'm calling my OB-GYN tomorrow for an appointment. SO the question of the day (haha):

How do I deal with the pain that I KNOW is going to occur when they do the pelvic exam? I think the idea that this pain is definitely going to occur is what is really making me not want to schedule an appointment. But I know it's not fair to my boyfriend, and it might be something worse. But what am I to do when they spread EVERYTHING open!?

It honestly makes me just cry thinking about it.

Posts: 35 | From: NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might just take an analgesic -- like an Advil or a Tylenol -- before your exam. That's fine to do. You can also let your doctor know you're in a lot of pain, and he or she will do their best to account for that.

And try not to get yourself anxiety-ridden about it. the more freaked you are, the more you're going to experience pain.

For future reference, you really want to avoid self-prescribing for yeast infections unless you have had them before and are nearly 100% that that's what you've got. A lot of things can cause pain during intercourse, including other infections. If you don't have a yeast infection and medicate for one, you can wind up getting one on TOP of whatever else you have going on. For all you know, you may have had something else before and now have the yeast infection.

Also? Your health isn't about fairness to a boyfriend. It's about taking care of yourself. You'd need to do that now whether you were sexually active or not: you can't just let infections go untreated.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.