Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » what is labia minora?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what is labia minora?
nanni
Neophyte
Member # 38555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nanni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why is the inside of the vagina considered to be mucous membrane but the labia minora are not, and are instead considered to be skin folds?
Posts: 8 | From: NY | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey nanni, welcome to Scarleteen. We actually have a really great article called Pink Parts - Female Sexual Anatomy that should cover all of this. If after reading that article you still have questions, feel free to come back and ask them.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nanni
Neophyte
Member # 38555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nanni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, i still could not get the answer to it. I read the page, bt it was too general. so again, do you knwo why the inside of the vagina considered to be mucous membrane but the labia minora are not, and are instead considered to be skin folds?
Posts: 8 | From: NY | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding (and maybe one of our volunteers who is more involved specifically in the medical community can clarify this or be a bit more specific as well), in the most basic sense, is that mucous membranes (while they are not all exactly the same in makeup) do both absorption and secretion. Labia don't actually secrete mucous (though they may have fluid on them that is secreted by other glands and mucous membranes), but the vaginal canal does.

[ 05-22-2008, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nanni
Neophyte
Member # 38555

KittenGoddess
, oh, so that's why the labia minora are considered to be skin folds, and are NOT mucous membranes, correct? b/c they don't secrete mucous, and are on the outside of the body, they're considered to be skin too, unlike the vagina, which is the inside, crroect?

nanni
Neophyte
Member # 38555

Anyone else also know, just for knowledge and clarification?
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not medically trained or anything, but so far as I know, KittenGoddess has got it right. Not all mucous membranes secrete mucous, though. Mucous membranes also are made of different layers and kinds of tissue than skin is.

While Wikipedia certainly isn't medical literature, they do have a pretty clear little explanation on what the mucosae are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucous_membrane

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nanni
Neophyte
Member # 38555

Leabug, so u mean the labia minora are not mucous membranes, but are skin folds instead?
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are skin folds, yes. They're different types of tissue than that of the vagina, which is mucous membrane.

May I ask why you're so concerned about whether the labia minora are mucous membranes or skin? Are you concerned about something in particular related to this? Perhaps we can reassure you more if we know what's going on. [Smile]

[ 05-23-2008, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nanni
Neophyte
Member # 38555

hi, i cut myself while washing, then noticed a hug pimple two days later. is that bad?

are u angry at me for asking?

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Nobody's mad, don't you worry! [Smile] I was just wondering why you were so concerned about it.

If you cut your labia a bit, the cut may have been a little infected if it began to swell and create pus. However, it is possible to get pimples on the genitals too, and we can't diagnose stuff over the internet, so if you're worried, your best bet is to get it checked out by a medical professional.

--------------------
Lea

nanni
Neophyte
Member # 38555

ok i think shoiwng it to the OB GYN is ok, but i come from a culture where this kind of stuff is taboo, so are there any confidential places to go to? i'm over 18. Also, how did u also knwo the labia minora are skin folds and not mucpous membrane? I ask cuz most anatomy teachers don't go over it much.
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Doctors are always required to keep your visits (and what you talk about during them) confidential- it's the law. So if you have a GYN already, you can trust them to keep things confidential. If you need help finding a gyn, let us know what area of NY you're in, and we can look up some resources for you like Planned Parenthood locations.

I know that the labia minora are skin folds from doing research- the same way that KittenGoddess knows, and the same way that anyone else here knows. I've never taken an anatomy course, but I can always look up information myself from reliable sources both online and in "real life", such as medical books and journals. There's nothing stopping you from doing this too if you have questions that teachers don't answer. [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.