Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Does coffee stain teeth? Really want whiter teeth...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does coffee stain teeth? Really want whiter teeth...
sofi
Neophyte
Member # 30271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I asked my dentist once some time ago if coffee stains teeth (i drink one cup a day), and was told that it does not. I really wanted to whiten my teeth, but I guess Im going to opt against it since it can wear down your enamel. For right now I just want to do everything i can to keep my teeth from getting stains. Everyone else i asked has told me that coffee does indeed stain your teeth, does anyone know for sure if it does or does not?
Posts: 22 | From: Florida | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iamfree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does, actually. I had my teeth whitened by laser a couple of years ago, and I was told I couldn't drink coffee or tea for two weeks after the whitening, precisely because it stains your teeth.

However, I think you'd have to drink quite a bit of coffee for a long time in order to have noticeably stained teeth. My mom, for instance, has been drining about 5 cups of black tea a day for over a decade, and she does have yellowish teeth, although not incredibly so.

I you love coffee but want to avoid staining your teeth, I'd recommend drinking it through a straw so that it bypasses your teeth and doesn't actually touch them. Also, getting your teeth cleaned regularly by the dentist and using a good electric toothbrush will help rub the stains off.

Posts: 149 | From: Costa Rica | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofi
Neophyte
Member # 30271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! Ill definitely take your advice
Posts: 22 | From: Florida | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penwords
Neophyte
Member # 34602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penwords     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that trying to brush soon after drinking your coffee is a good idea too. It can't hurt, especially if your like me, and have your coffee in the afternoon with a cookie or at breakfast.
Posts: 24 | From: MI | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Different people have different enamel on their teeth. Different enamel (the outside part of the tooth) will stain differently. For example, my sister has amazing enamel. She hardly does anything with her teeth (as a kid, she never even brushed them) and never gets cavities or has any problems. On the other side, my mom and I have to brush twice a day and be VERY diligent, and we still end up with trouble at the dentist. Our teeth stain more easily than my sister's too, I think. So based on this sample of people, and what my hygenist has told me about it, different people are unique, even down to their tooth-staining potential!

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anna_rdh
Neophyte
Member # 49768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anna_rdh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes coffee tea wine tabacco stain your teeth. It is a known fact.
On the other hand you are missinformed regarding teeth whitening treatment. There is no evidence that bleaching gel thins your enamel. It might give you temporary sensitivity but it is worth it because you will get rid of those stains that a normal cleaning at the dental office will not remove. It is a safe procedure but keep in mind you should not do it to often. Once a year teeth whitening treatment with a good oral hygiene is fine. Try drinking coffee with a straw because it avoid the contact with your teeth

--------------------
Toronto Teeth Whitening

Posts: 8 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.