Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » The grass is always greener... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The grass is always greener...
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...on the other side.

Wishing you had larger breasts instead of small ones, or vice-versa? Curly hair instead of straight? That you were shorter instead of taller? Thinner instead of thicker? Darker rather than pale? Brunette rather than blonde?

If you wish you looked a different way than you do, leave a post here -- if you find someone wishes for something you've got, let them know your reality of having that thing are yourgripes with what they see as their ideal.

Sometimes it can help to get in touch with the fact that there are benefits and downsides to any one way of looking, so here's your place to get and give those reality checks.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie101
Activist
Member # 37085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I wish I was skinnier lol I have been chubby since I was a little kid...I still remember that time in second grade when someone said(tyler said) that he didnt want me on his team because I was to fat

--------------------
stephh!

Posts: 88 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I can speak for the bad parts of being skinny. Due to a chronic disease, I've been underweight for as far back as I can remember. I have, like, no blood pressure and get dizzy real easy. I am also always cold. That's the minor complaints. The things that bug me is that I can never find pants that actually fit me (I do have hips, so I can't get the zippers to shut on the size zeros), and that people are forever commenting on my weight. Depending on their age and personal convictions, they either worry about my health and try to feed me, suspect anorexia and treat me like a freak or get envious and remind me at every turn that they wish there were as skinny as I am.

My turn: I wish I was shorter. I'm like 5'8" and tower over everyone. I feel like I'm always sticking out and, let's face it, guys feel a little wierded out if the girl is taller than they are (though, thankfully, my slightly shorter partner is not one of those guys).

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, being shorter is not all it's cracked up to be. I'm 5'2 (though I like to pretend I'm 5'4 or 5'3 [Wink] ) and while guys will claim that they find my shortness "attractive" or "endearing," they say it in a way that is incredibly patronizing ("It's so cute that you're short!"). Blech. Not to mention, I have to climb onto the counter to reach the glasses in the high cabinets (which is really embarrassing when friends are over), and it's somewhat difficult to change a lightbulb or to change the setting on my ceiling fan. Plus, I always have to shop in the petite section, which not every store has, and I'm also only 105 pounds with a larger rear and larger hips, so finding jeans that fit right is pretty much impossible. I have grown to love Ann Taylor Loft as I can almost always find a pair of pants that fit there, though their shirts are a little baggy on me in some places and tighter in other places (apparently the idea that a person can be skinny but have bigger breasts is inconceivable to most clothing manufacturers). And there are always heels to make me look taller, which make my feet hurt (and my feet are a size 5.5 so it's almost impossible to find cute heels my size since most companies start at a 6; I can buy online, but then they might not fit) and I'm forever tripping on the sidewalk. Okay, so I get a little passionate about that.

I would like to have a smaller nose. I have one of those large German noses (thanks, Mom) and I can't help but feel like it sticks out horribly. I feel like wearing glasses makes it look even bigger, so I always wear contacts, which can be a pain sometimes.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lily89
Neophyte
Member # 36839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lily89         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wishes that I had straight hair. I have thick curly frizzy hair....It takes about 20-30 minutes to comb, put in mousse, then spray some hairspray on it after every shower. If I don't do any of these steps...I end up with this mess of frizzy knoted hair. I admit it can be pretty like.....once out of every 10 showers, but overall straight hair would just be so much easier

And on another note...I agree with the short comments. I am 5'1 and while I think it suits me, clothes shopping is....not easy. My butt and hips equal a size 5, but my legs are the equivalent of a size 2ish. I have two pairs of jeans, and always need to wear a belt.

Posts: 29 | From: United States | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niki
Neophyte
Member # 37106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh clothes shopping... Ew. There are 2 things I most dislike about my body:
1. My stomach
2.Clothes shopping for hips.

I'm curvy, and while I LOVE curves, I HATE finding clothes for them. Clothing companies don't seem to realize that girls actually have figures, and maybe adding a little shape could make things a little easier... Like pants never fit my legs and hips right, and shirts are always too tight in the boob department or too short and stuff... Ugh.

Posts: 32 | From: Earth | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear on how to keep the rhythm flowing here, rather than general gripes or moving into talking about clothing companies, look at what September and orca did, creating a flow by posting once they had something someone else wanted, okay?

So, last we left off, we've got orca wanting a smaller nose (can't help with that myself, alas, I have an Italian schnoz that is decidedly not petite) and Lily wanting straight hair (can't help there either: mine can never make up its mind what it is).

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got straight hair, and it can be such a drag to get it to do anything. It just hangs there limply. Not to mention that it's so thin that I can never properly style it. It only ever looks a little bit thicker when I come out of the salon with who knows how many different products in it. I've often wished for wavy/curly hair and extra thickness.

Something else I've wanted is larger breasts. I've often felt that my A cup is not in proportion with my curvier lower half (definitely pear shaped).

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a small nose. Some people think it's cute, but like with orca's height, they usually say so in a way that is patronizing/condescending, as if having small anything is cutesy/little girlish. I'm a lady, thank you very much, and wouldn't mind a larger nose if that showed it!

I wish I had darker, less sensitive skin. I'm absurdly pale to the point of near translucency, and always get people telling me I look sick, and the girls at my work are always trying to "correct" my skintone with darker foundation and bronzers to try to make me look more "alive". I envy people who can get small blemishes without glaring redness, or whose skin isn't so sensitive as to burn with a couple minutes of sun exposure/erupt in a rash at the slightest change in skincare routine!

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertatissacra
Activist
Member # 35773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertatissacra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having wavy hair isn't all that great. My hair has always been wavy, and it's always been kind of an issue. As long as I keep it fairly short, which I do these days, it's not too bad and I don't hate it, but when I had it long, it always got so wild and frizzy unless I put about a pound of greasy stuff in it to weigh it down.

My complaint: Being a small girl with breasts on the larger side. My breasts aren't enormous (C cup), but for someone just over five feet tall, they're more substantial than they would be to a taller person. I mean, I like how they look. I'm not stick thin, nor am I overweight, so I have that nice curvy figure going on, which I'm happy with, but shopping for dresses or shirts that don't have any give in the fabric can be a nightmare, especially since in addition to being short, I have a pretty narrow waist. Also, any kind of physical activity, even as simple as walking a few blocks to the store, is awkward and uncomfortable without a bra.

EDIT: And just to illustrate my point, the shirt I'm wearing right now is a nice button-up (one of the few that is fitted enough in the waist to not make me look enormous), but the top two buttons keep popping open. Even though it fits great everywhere else, it's too tight in the chest. I have the same problem with nearly every other button-up I own, unless it's a size or two too big in the waist and length, which makes me look like I have this really fat, long torso, which isn't flattering. It's frustrating, because longsleeved button-up shirts are my favourite kind of shirts to wear (since they're a little more classy and gender-neutral than most tops, which is my style), but it's so hard to find ones that fit in the chest and are still flattering. Gah.

[ 03-17-2008, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: libertatissacra ]

--------------------
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."
-Oscar Wilde

Posts: 115 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larger breasts are definitely not all theyre cracked up to be! Im in the gene pool with that feature and it wouldnt be so bad except for the back problems. Of course being clumsy doesnt help either clumsy and top heavy just arent meant to go together. Im not even supposed to wear healed shoes because they mess with your posture and make your back worse.

If I had the chance Id change my feet. I dont really like feet much but my feet seem huge for how short I am. I always feel like Im walking around in clown shoes.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertatissacra
Activist
Member # 35773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertatissacra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm convinced small feet are worse than large feet. My feet are TINY. Granted, as mentioned above, I'm short, but even so, my feet are ridiculously tiny. Like size 5 or 6 kind of tiny. I remember being really excited when I was able to buy a pair of sandals in a size 6 1/2 (it was the smallest size this store carried), and they were a little big, but not so big that I was tripping over myself. Most stores don't carry much smaller than a 6 or 6 1/2 outside of the kids' section.

Not only are my feet tiny in size, but they're also really narrow. To the point where most normal width shoes don't fit me unless it's something like sandals where the width doesn't matter so much. And let me tell you, size 5 1/2 Narrow shoes are nearly impossible to come by. Gym class was never any fun for me just because I could never find athletic shoes that fit well enough to not give me blisters.

As a kid, I always hoped that my feet would eventually get to a more average size so that I could have an easier time finding shoes (even when I was younger, my feet were always several sizes smaller than my peers), but it just never happened. I never got to that phase where I could borrow my mother's shoes. My feet just stayed tiny.

--------------------
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."
-Oscar Wilde

Posts: 115 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here with the tiny feet thing. I'm around a 5 1/2 and it's a horrible pain to try and find shoes that are professional looking or pretty (i.e. that lack pink ribbons and bows, Cinderella, or Hannah Montana). I'm also almost certain that they've made me very, very clumsy. I have found that Born's and Clark's work well because they are both comfortable and their sizes run a little smaller (a 6 in their shoes translates into something like a 5 1/2, or a perfect fit for me). On the bright side, my sisters can never borrow my shoes and then loose them on the beach or break the heels when they go dancing.

And it's nice to know that even people with smaller noses aren't always happy with them. :)Now, if only I had blue or green or purple eyes instead of brown...or maybe one color in each eye...

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eonone
Neophyte
Member # 13596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eonone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My shoe size is 7.

According to shopping at my Old Navy for black flip flops in season, that is the perfectly average foot size to have. I have determined this by the fact that there are never any 7s. Ever. Except in white or canary yellow. And- those are gross flip flop colors.

On the same route, my feet are really in between sizes- probably at a 7.5, so that with all the cute new ballerina flats coming out, I have to either have cute ballerina flats I can shuffle around in because they're too big, or cute ballerina flats that cut off my circulation and do terrible, terrible things to my heels. I bruised my heels and Achilles tendons so badly trying to "break in" a pair, I had to go for weeks, in the dead of winter, wearing backless shoes.

Every time I have ever tried on a pair of flats, I've tried on first the 8, and fallen out of it, then the 7, and deliberated for at least thirty minutes as to whether or not it might loosen up enough to actually walk in. And every time, I wished I had a whole size foot- smaller or bigger, it didn't matter which. Just something that wasn't so average, so that every other Cinderella couldn't beat me to it and leave me to wade through the 8s and 6s, exclaiming to my boyfriend, so dutifully holding my purse, that "They NEVER have any 7s!"

If I could change anything... I've gotten used to them now, but when I was younger, I obsessed over my thighs. Literally stared at the mirror and poked at them and hated my "saddlebags" (which have now been properly identified as curves!) They still bother me, but I had a boyfriend who liked to wear my "thigh hat" and rest his head there while we watched TV, and months after we broke up, told me his new girlfriend just didn't have my "big milky thighs." That they were missed helped me start to appreciate them, but sometimes I still wish I didn't have to buy shorts three sizes up to fit my legs in.

--------------------
"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." -Homer Simpson

Posts: 24 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I completely understand ya, September. Skinny is so hard to deal with. I will NEVER wear shorts unless I'm at home (pajama type shorts) because my legs are skinny. I have decent thighs but my calves are ridiculously tiny. I can never find clothes that fit. Plus, I'm short. I'm 4'10" So even the OO Short Petite jeans don't fit the way I'd like them to. And, as everyone probably knows, what you can wear in one size in any particular brand of jeans, may be too big or too small in another brand of jeans, in my case.. too big.

Talk about shoe size.. I"m a size 5. Hard to find anything cute in that section. I actually have a pair of pleather boots with a 5 1/2 inch heal and they are a size six. Luckily, they were marked down because they aren't really a size six but somewhere just off the size, so if I wear really thick socks, they fit me perfect. I had to be a maid of honor in a wedding and I had to wear a baby blue strapless dress that was long on the right side but showed all of my left leg.. so unfortunately those boots weren't an option. And, I couldnt find the see through healed slipper looking things that the bride wanted in my size. Nightmare!

[ 03-17-2008, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: oOo Lea oOo ]

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sundial
Activist
Member # 37371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sundial     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, like stephh, I also wish I was skinnier. I feel like there are always 20 pairs of pants on the rack in size 0, 2 and 4 but no pairs left in my size. And forget about finding anything on the sale rack!!

Also, I have fine wavy hair that gets frizzy if it is raining, foggy or humid. I have always wished my hair was either thick and curly, or straight. So I have two sets of hair products - one to make my hair as curly as possible, and one for when I am pulling out the curl to wear it straight.

[ 03-17-2008, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: sundial ]

Posts: 47 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thisismyscreenname
Activist
Member # 37104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thisismyscreenname         Edit/Delete Post 
to the person who said they wished that they were shorter, I am a 5'11" girl and I love being tall! I can't find pants that fit, I can't really wear heels,my feet are massive and few stores stock shoes to fit me, but beyond all that I love being tall and feeling a little bit unique.

My gripe is that, since I am very rectangular with small boobs, no one believes me that I struggle with my squishy tummy and gaining weight and stuff. I don't even have the benefits of being curvy and womanly with a bit of extra belly fat...I am built like a very skinny girl with extra belly fat [Frown]

Posts: 40 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose there's always a niggle for me to be less fatty, more muscular.

Actually per the pale skin comment, I've got olive-y medeterranian skin... Unfortunately it's resulted in a number of racist slurs being thrown at me at times (though that's hardly the skins fault, it definitely isn't an advantage). Also it's very oily and difficult to ward away spots... I think it'd be a lot cooler to be pale, far easier to pull off the english ganster thing... and people are always asking me "where do you come from?", like the ambiguous belly fluff or something, answer: "here".

[ 03-18-2008, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: PenguinBoy ]

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acgal
Neophyte
Member # 36192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acgal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can sympathize with the small feet --> I'm a size 6, but the worst part about it is that my ankles are narrow as well. I'm constantly walking and twisting my ankles or spraining them. I once had my ankle swell up to the size of a grapefruit (so not exaggerating here) and I had to wear a boot for 6 weeks. Worse part was that it wasn't broken, just sprained. All the nurses cringed when they looked at it in the ER, haha.

I envy people with small boobs; I'm a size 38D and I'm not even sure about that cause I'm constantly popping out, so I might be bigger. But I'm known as the "chick with big boobs." And talking to guys is impossible. It really doesn't help me at work, because I work in a firehouse with all males, so I'm constantly hearing comments about my boobs and whatnot. I have so many sexual harrassments suits lined up against that firehouse it isn't even funny.

I also can't go running in public; my boobs are such a show for guys that I'm constantly hooted or honked at. I've given up trying to go jogging.

The gripe I have is that I am soo not in shape. I once got asked if I was pregnant by a complete stranger at the mall, so you know how that helped my self esteem. I just wish there was an easier way to get rid of belly fat, since mine is extremely stubborn, haha

Posts: 35 | From: NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rina
Activist
Member # 34235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember who said they wanted bigger boobs but be warned...they're a hassle!!! If I get a small shirt, they are literally on the verge of coming out and/or are killing because the shirt is too tight for them. If I get a medium shirt...my boobs fit, but I look pregnant. Oh, and I could never wear strapless formal dresses for dances...only halters. So aggravating. lol But I'm happy with them because they could always be bigger, and that would SUCK.

At one point I could have gone on forever with my list of things I don't like about me, but I've gotten better by now.
However, I'd LOVE to be more proportional. lol
And get of my fat...my thighs DO NOT need to be that big...same with my stomach and butt.

Edit: I just realized my comment was almost exactly like the girl's above me. lol

[ 03-18-2008, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Rina ]

--------------------
Madwomen seldom think they're crazy.

Posts: 83 | From: in my own little world | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horizon
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 35890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horizon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My body is generally proportional (the boobs balance out the hips). Even if my shape looks good, though, there is always the problem of relative size. People tend to think that hourglass shapes, or something close, are attractive, but what about a giant hourglass?! I feel like one sometimes.

What do I wish I had? Less muscular calves. I know they aren't made out of pure lard because I've definitely got strength in them, but sometimes I catch a glimpse of my calves in the mirror and I'm saddened by what appear to be cankles.

--------------------
-Kayla
Scarleteen Volunteer

"A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses." -Hippocrates

Posts: 755 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
September- Bingo on the whole chronic illness making you skinny thing!! I used to be pretty darn chubby, but dropped a ton of weight since I got sick- since it was such rapid weight loss, a lot of people thought I was anorexic, especially since- technically- i WAS anorexic: I had no appetite because eating made me feel sick and caused pain, and I basically trained myself to dread eating, but it wasn't the actual eating disorder anorexia nervosa. And I still can't find pants that do up either- I've got a bit of a belly now due to meds, and i do have hips, but my legs are so skinny and the rest of me so skinny that I actually ended up buying maternity pants for work the other day. [Eek!]

I'd love to gain a bunch of weight back, to be honest. Being skinny was kinda fun for a bit- fitting into tiny clothes and such- but I just don't look healthy. I think my frame just wasn't meant to be only 120ish pounds- I look way, way better when I'm chubby.

(And to Horizon- I had major cankles going on too before my weight loss. They're gone now- but you know, I can't help but wonder if I had some muscle atrophy as well, because they WERE fairly muscular too. I'd love to have my cankles back, I actually kind of miss them, surprisingly!!)

[ 03-19-2008, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Neophyte
Member # 33830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this is a girls only post or something but I'm gonna sneak this one in anyways...

I would say as a guy... I would prefer to have less hairy legs.. and other areas... but I don't know where exactly I would go to get waxing done without getting weird looks and such, would anyone be able to suggest where to look?

Posts: 9 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Since we've had a few people voicing some unhappiness with their bodies, I thought this thread could use a revival. [Smile]

--------------------

Kadkitty
Activist
Member # 38482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kadkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well I'd like to be thinner (not the underweight, with chronic illness kind) just the healthier, confident maybe around size 9 or even 10 (I'm at 26 now...)
I just don't want to die of a heart attack or something someday. my grandmother is overweight and she has problems with her legs, they like have broken cracks and she walks with a walker and they give her pain and she can basically just sit in a chair all day. I'm so afraid I will be her someday...
and my sister is heavier than me (but she is shorter) and she has those weird veins in her legs bad, one night she woke up and thought she wet the bed, she got up and realized one of her veins popped and was really bleeding...I'm also afraid I will be her one day...

Posts: 50 | From: United States | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lozzy57
Neophyte
Member # 38279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lozzy57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I didn't bruise so easily. Because I'm so pale, and all marks show up really strongly, my arms and legs are always covered in hundreds of bruises. I look like a 7 year old who's worn shorts and a size too big shoes all summer so's just fallen over all the time.

I get bruises from EVERYTHING.

When I was younger there was actually an enquirey into abuse for me, because I was so bruised.

I hate bruises [Frown]

--------------------
Chin up darling - knock yourself out!

Posts: 26 | From: London, UK | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James the Dark
Activist
Member # 32379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James the Dark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather my nose was straight. For some reason, it has a slight turn toward the left, which is odd, because it's never been broken. While I'm at it, though, I'd also rather that my sinus cavities had more internal volume than a pair of dice. Every year I lose the ability to breath through my nose when my allergies kick in, and I often have the option between mouth-breathing and suffocation.

Other than that, my arms. I've got broad shoulders, but my arms are wimpy. Since I always wear long sleeves, it's not obvious, but I'd still like to be able to take off my shirt and not look like Frankenstein ran out of identical parts when putting me together. Maybe I can blame him for my nose as well?

--------------------
"And you're really asking me if I prefer injury to embarrassment? That's not even a choice. I don't know anybody who's literally died of embarrassment."

People are annoying sometimes.

Posts: 78 | From: Summerside, PEI, Canada | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone before me said they wanted bigger breasts... I wear a 34F and it ain't easy. I actually like what they look like, but I have back problems and also have a lot of trouble fitting into clothes. I usually have to buy clothes 2 sizes up and have them taken in in the waist.

I wish I didn't have such large love handles. I feel like they make me look a little bigger than i am. Also, they really stick out in a bikini... And I wouldnt mind losing a little weight in my tummy too.

Oh- and I know leabug said that due to chronic illness she lost weight- well I gained weight because of the meds they put me on for Crohns and now I can't lose it! So I'd love to be in your position.

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paper towel
Activist
Member # 39124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paper towel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever since I was a small child, I've wanted to be of a different race. I really hate being white because of the whole white privilege thing. Racism completely disgusts me, and to think that I benefit from it is horrid. Not to mention that racism is the reason that the country I live in is a world power (for now...) I get by with being Jewish, but it's not immediately apparent.
Posts: 52 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star07
Neophyte
Member # 39127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty thin, but that doesnt mean that i dont still think constantly about how i should diet/work out more. the media makes it so nobody ever feels adequate, I think.
I have really straight flat black hair(and really pale skin...ewwww.).
I wish I had really curly hair, because you can just do more with it. When I was little I wore curlers every night. straight hair like mine will never have much volume or texture, even when i pay 80 bucks for a style.
also, I have a surgical scar on my throat. thats my least favorite thing- I've become really self conscious about it. If I tell people what it is, they pity me. If I don't, they just stare and wonder. I wonder if I'll ever get used to it. I try to wear scarves, which i love, or turtlenecks, which i hate, but in the summer it's just too hot to wear either.

Posts: 10 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have wavy hair that curls sometimes. I straighten it pretty much everyday because the problem with curls/waves is that they're either frizzy, or fall in awkward ways. Also, hair tends to curl in the same direction, so you end up with hair flipping out on one side, and curling in on the other.

Hmm.. I really wish I had caramel coloured skin like my boyfriend. He's chinese, and has possibly the most beautifully toned skin I've ever seen. Plus, you don't notice imperfections because they blend in. I'm terribly pale... Which is odd, because when I was a kid, I had darker olive based skin. It just seems to naturally have lightened over the years... (I was also born with white blond hair, but it was brown by grade 2, and dark dark brown by grade 6)

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James the Dark
Activist
Member # 32379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James the Dark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm tempted to note, Staro, that dark hair and pale skin is a very striking juxtaposition. Plus, if you feel mischievous, when you come out of the bath, you can hunch forward and let your hair go all down in front of you like that girl from The Ring. Come on, tell me you wouldn't.

--------------------
"And you're really asking me if I prefer injury to embarrassment? That's not even a choice. I don't know anybody who's literally died of embarrassment."

People are annoying sometimes.

Posts: 78 | From: Summerside, PEI, Canada | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainyrocks9
Neophyte
Member # 47310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rainyrocks9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* im 5'3..i have wide hips and a butt:/ BROWN curly hair and..freckles. im light tan..because of my dad. but hey, i'm happy the way i am. i think i have pretty brown eyes with long lashes..lots of people tell me that:) and i figure as long as you're living you gotta be thankful!

--------------------
I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe

Posts: 9 | From: USA, TX | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Animica
Activist
Member # 44734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My hair is dark, frizzy and hard to handle too. It's a pain to detangle and style every time I'm going out, but hey, it could be worse. I've always wanted straight hair due to the fact that it's easier to handle, and I've never liked volume in my hair, anyway.

I'm pale too, and I hate when I have blemishes on my face...they look red and are only are missing a neon sign. However, like James said, the contrast between light and dark can be pretty good. My boyfriend loves the contrast between my hair and my skin.

I'm also really short...While it is true that people think I'm cute because I'm short, it's sometimes not that great when people give me weird looks at casinos, pubs, and places where kids aren't allowed. I'm 20, but I look like what...14? I guess it'll be good in the long run, though.

I'd rather have slightly larger breasts too. I'm just an A cup.

Posts: 132 | From: La La Land | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a... honestly I can't remember, F or G cup and while I do love my breasts, it can be a huge drag shopping for shirts sometimes, the size of my bust makes it very difficult to wear men's shirts sometimes which is annoying if I see something cool and cheap, plus, because I'm quite large sized my sister used to say that my large breasts are only that way because I'm fat, I think some people do think if you have large breasts and are fat it doesn't count on the basis that if you were your ONE TRUE THIN WEIGHT (tm) then your breasts would be small too.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.