Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » tats

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tats
Meg[atron]
Activist
Member # 30451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg[atron]     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To those of you have who have gotten tattoos, how much do they hurt?

thanks!

--------------------
Who is perfect in the eyes of perfection?

Posts: 42 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That dependds entirely on where on your body you are getting the tattoo, how big it is and how high your pain threshold is in general.

Personally, I've never found the pain to be too bad. I have three tats of varying sizes (one in the small of my back, one near my collarbone and one on my wrist) and the only time I felt uncomfortable when getting a tat done was during the last half hour of my biggest tat, because the cramped position and the constant stinging was starting to wear me down. But the pain itself wasn't bad at all.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any tattoos, but I've heard that getting them done on skin close to bone, rather than fleshier areas, hurt the most.

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can also take a look at an article we have that talks about this a little bit:

A Body Modification Primer

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lexie
Activist
Member # 29769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lexie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much the answer you are going to get from anyone you ask is "it varys from person to person and from location to location"
Very very few people will say it doesn't hurt at all, but there are always some it just doesn't bother, it depends on what the tattoo is of - the colouring in, because they use different sized needles for different things.
But I'd say, most people would say the pain is by no means unbearable.
It depends how long they take, towards the end of the session it can wear you down a bit.
In my experience, at first it was quite painful, but when the adrenalin and endorphins kick in it really became not that painful, and the outline was worse because it was a bigger needle - where as colouring in wasn't painful. Places where it is close to the bone, i.e shoulder blades and the spine were quite bad for me.

Posts: 76 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this thread and wanted to add something ... a person's own response to pain is a factor as well. Some people have really low pain thresholds - so for everyone the pain associated with this is going to be individualized.

After talking to a couple of friends that design tatoos ... how tense a person is will also affect how much pain is present. So in addition to where you decide to get the tatoo ... remember that being calm and relaxed can help.

[ 02-23-2008, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg[atron]
Activist
Member # 30451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg[atron]     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for all of the replies

=D

--------------------
Who is perfect in the eyes of perfection?

Posts: 42 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallchild
Activist
Member # 28780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallchild         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, the location of the tat, size of needle, length of sitting, and the person's threshold for pain all play a factor. My forearm wasn't bad at all and my shoulder blade wasn't bad either. However I have both of the entire tops of my feet done and the pain was pretty much unbearable, most likely because of the lack of "flesh" on the top of your feet. The backs of my calves were weird: the left one didn't hurt at all but the right was quite bad (????). Weird lol. Behind my ear was just annoying because the buzzing of the gun was so loud [Smile]

--------------------
"It's better to die on your feet than live down on your knees"

Posts: 117 | From: SLC, UT | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.