Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » body image

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: body image
Member # 31895

Icon 9 posted      Profile for cherrypie10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok right to the point. i've been feeling really depressed lately about my apperance.. i hate looking in the mirror and everytime i do. i feel like crying. i feel so ugly. i've recently gained a few pounds and thats making matters even worse. its getting to the point were im feeling so uncomfortable with myself i even hate when my boyfriend touches me. specially my tummy. i know this all sounds quite stupid but its really bothering me. i dont want to put myself down i want to love my body and myself. but how do i go about on doing so? i used to exercise all the time. and i really enjoy running. but lately ive lost all motivation. i want to feel comfortable in my own body any suggestions? please help. i want to love myself.

Posts: 13 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part of feeling better about yourself is going to come from accepting that our bodies DO change, over time, and being OK with this.

Meanwhile, part of it is also realizing that there is a quite a bit you can do to keep yourself happy, and most importantly, healthy, while still feeling good about your body.

None of what you're saying sounds stupid. Almost all of us go through (or are going to go through) a period in our lives where we are unhappy with how we look.

I get the feeling that you felt badly about yourself even before you gained weight, so maybe you should start with that first. What is it about yourself that you don't like? What do you think caused this change (since it sounds like you were OK before)?

Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 36166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamie_dawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel exactly the same way about myself. I compare myself to friends. It bothers me so much.
Then I look at my mom and dad and they are petite people. I get down on myself sometimes I will even lock myself in my room for a few days. I don't have modivation to do anything towards being comfortable with myself. I want to exercise, but I'm embarrassed that someone will see me and judge. I used to be known as the skinny girl, but not anymore.
Honestly, everyone is different, it happens. The best thing to do is exercise (like running because you love it) and eat right. Being comfortable in your own skin can be hard.
But think of it like this, your family and friends and boyfriend love you just the way you are. If they can love you the way you look, so should you.

hope this helped.

jamie dawn<3

Posts: 18 | From: altoona, pa. | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 31895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cherrypie10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its just really hard to love the way i am..
my mom is the main reason right now why im feeling this way i believe..
when we go shopping i try things on and she says oh you have gained some weight and you cant wear that.. and she's always pointing out that i've gained weight.. and it really bothers me.. i know i have.. and then she's there picking at me.. and then i see her calling yourself fat and oh i have to lose weight.. when she's the size of a twig.. it just really gets to me.

and yes.. i have felt badly about myself even before i gained a few extra pounds.. i've never really felt comfortable with myself. and i have no idea why. its not like i dont hear good things about me.. i hear all the time im a pretty girl. i just dont see it. nor believe it. i know i see my flaws that most people dont see .. i understand that.. but.. i seriously just want to be happy with who i am.. i just dont feel i will ever be at that point where i feel great about myself..

Posts: 13 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Jam said, we all feel like this. I have days too where i get up and i just feel really crappy. I can't get my hair the way i want it, or i have a new zit, or i'm retaining water and feel fat ... It happens to all of us, even your mom !!!

It's all a matter of self talk. When you get up in the morning, try to focus on the good things. So you feel fat today ... But your hair/eyes/whatever looks great.

You may also want to speak to your mom about the way she's making you feel. She may not realize that what she's saying is hurting your feelings.

It is okay NOT to engage other people in talk about self hate ... And someone going on about how they're so fat is self hate. Seriously. It's beneficial for both of you if you just don't.

Have you spoken to anyone (professional) about your body image?

Also, check out Life Lessons from the Third Stall on the Left

Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.