Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Pads Vs. Tampons (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pads Vs. Tampons
Pippa
Neophyte
Member # 34769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pippa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which do you use and why?

I'm definitely a pad girl and my fav brand is Kotex. I like the Nightime ones because they're really soft and comfy. I hate tampons [Roll Eyes]

Kisses,
Pippa X

Posts: 4 | From: Sussex, UK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamie_dawn
Neophyte
Member # 36166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamie_dawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wear tampons. When I do where pads (only at night) I worry it will go through. So tampons help me worry less.

--------------------
jamie dawn<3

Posts: 18 | From: altoona, pa. | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pippa
Neophyte
Member # 34769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pippa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jamie, you should wear thick night pads and then they won't leak. I sometimes double up my pads to for extra protection.

Kisses,
Pippa X

Posts: 4 | From: Sussex, UK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember too, that we've got more options than just these two! [Smile] There's some info on your other options here: On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation

I haven't used a disposable pad or tampon since somewhere around the mid-nineties. I use washable pads or Lunapanties and sometimes I use a Divacup.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rock the Divacup. With Lunapanties to sleep normally.

I was contmiplating a switch to sea sponges though because the Divacup is a bit intense to get in and out.

--------------------
Elizabeth

"Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice." -Spinoza

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
run_for_fun
Neophyte
Member # 35377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for run_for_fun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy using tampons. Im a runner and just athletic all around, so Im more comfortable wearing a tampon when im running than a pad. I only wear pads when i go to bed. Tampons just give me a better sense of protection.

--------------------
Track: run hard, make left turns

Posts: 31 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimble
Activist
Member # 35859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mimble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tampons...pads are just bulky for me and I can tell better when to change a tampon (i feel wet vs. pads I always feel wet)...although my mom banned tampons because she's convinced that its like losing my virginity (which, btw, is already lost)

I usually like to wear a thong and a thong pad when I'm going lighter because the thong tucks into my butt and prevents leakage but is not in like a tampon

Posts: 56 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pretty much always wear pads. I don't wear tampons, nor do I use a divaCup or any other thing.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narwhal
Activist
Member # 34755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narwhal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I HEART my cloth pads! I tried them out a few months ago and I wouldn't go back to disposables if you paid me...Well, maybe if you paid me a lot, I'd do it for like, a day [Razz]

I have a Divacup too, but I don't use it very much.

Posts: 147 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a Divacup, and I will never go back to pads or tampons. I had to use a pad the other day, and it felt soooo unnatural! [Razz] Not to mention the fact that I've never had any leaks with my Divacup, even while doing a martial art. I heart it!

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
diamonds4lucy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamonds4lucy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the Keeper- it's like the Divacup, but rubber. I don't feel it unless I really tense my muscles, I've never had any major leaks, and, since it's reusable, it's good for both the environment and my pocketbook.

--------------------
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams.

Help Support Scarleteen!

Posts: 446 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heart my underdog Lunette.When circumstances allow, I use it for all types of flow.
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narwhal
Activist
Member # 34755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narwhal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Hey, Lauren, what's the difference between a Lunette and a Divacup? I ask because I have some trouble removing my Divacup and wonder if the Lunette might be worth a try.)
Posts: 147 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertatissacra
Activist
Member # 35773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertatissacra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I almost always use tampons, except to bed. The first few days of my period are pretty heavy, and wearing pads all the time makes me feel like I'm constantly wetting myself and makes me really paranoid about leaks (which actually happened to me in 8th grade, and I have no desire to repeat the experience). Sometimes I'll use a pad towards the end of my period when the flow is pretty light. I'm looking into getting a Divacup or something like it, though. I like that it's friendlier to the environment, and it would be nice not to start my period and realise that I have to rush to the store because I only have one tampon left. They are more expensive off the shelf, though, and I'm on a pretty limited monthly budget at the moment. Someday soon, though.

--------------------
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."
-Oscar Wilde

Posts: 115 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used a Keeper since about 2000 and LunaPads for the past year. I wouldn't go back for anything.

Disposable menstrual products last like forever (but not in the good way), and I'm really not comfortable with the idea that my pads would be sitting in some landfill long after I was gone. Also, I'm very sensitive to chemicals and I found myself having to switch disposable pad brands constantly because the chemicals were causing me awful discomfort. I stopped using the tampons because they just dried me out so much. So I switched to the reusables and I wouldn't go back for anything. It is not gross or difficult to deal with, the way many people think it will be.

(Re: the cost of a cup...honestly, buying my menstrual cup is one of the best purchases I've ever made. Sure, it cost me around $40 when I bought it...but I haven't bought a tampon in like 7 years. I used to buy the Tampax Multi-Pack, and I'd probably need a new box every other month. So every 2 months it cost me $8 (so $48 a year, plus the cost of pads). That means my Keeper had paid for itself in less than a year and has saved me something like $300 since then. Um, yeah, I'll take the initial output of cash to save that much. And I'm saving even more since moving to reusable pads. You've just got to look at the cost in the long term. I haven't had to replace my menstrual cup yet at all, though I will be doing so next year. Not because there's anything wrong with it, but because I'm having a baby and thus will likely need the larger size after giving birth.)

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabatha11
Neophyte
Member # 31225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabatha11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always used to use pads due to tampons being a bit scary and hard to get in. After I managed, I was using them nearly all the time [Big Grin] sometimes both a tampon and pad if I was worried about going a long time without changing.

After starting the pill my period is much lighter, and so a tampon is usually unecessary. I don't mind the feeling of pads at all, in fact, they normally feel quite secure and I don't need to worry much about leaking.

Posts: 29 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Narwhal, the Lunette lacks the reinforcement at the very bottom that some of the others have in the ridged area, which means it's easier to pinch the very tip. It depends on what your issue is with removal though.. if it's too far up, the Lunette is shorter and may cause you more trouble. But if it's due to not being able to pinch/break the suction, the larger holes and uninforced bottom make it a lot easier. Removal was hard for me, and I have both the Diva and Lunette and prefer the Lunette -- it's tons easier to clean too. IMO, the company that sells the Lunette is much less corporation-y, more friendly, and send free native candy with your order. :D)

/being a conversion maniac.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertatissacra
Activist
Member # 35773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertatissacra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KittenGoddess:

(Re: the cost of a cup...honestly, buying my menstrual cup is one of the best purchases I've ever made. Sure, it cost me around $40 when I bought it...but I haven't bought a tampon in like 7 years. I used to buy the Tampax Multi-Pack, and I'd probably need a new box every other month. So every 2 months it cost me $8 (so $48 a year, plus the cost of pads). That means my Keeper had paid for itself in less than a year and has saved me something like $300 since then. Um, yeah, I'll take the initial output of cash to save that much. And I'm saving even more since moving to reusable pads. You've just got to look at the cost in the long term. I haven't had to replace my menstrual cup yet at all, though I will be doing so next year. Not because there's anything wrong with it, but because I'm having a baby and thus will likely need the larger size after giving birth.)

Oh, I know it saves money long-term, which is another reason why I want one. It's just that I currently don't have $40 that I can just shell out right now. I can, however, afford to spend $5-8 a month on tampons. Sort of like how I can afford to rent my apartment but can't afford to buy it, if that makes sense. Yeah, it's more money over time, but it's in smaller amounts at a time. I know I've probably paid for a mentsrual cup many times over, but I just don't have $40 RIGHT NOW that I can spend all at once.

So, that's my dilema. I'm thinking of asking my mother to get me one for my birthday or something, though.

--------------------
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."
-Oscar Wilde

Posts: 115 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by libertatissacra:
Oh, I know it saves money long-term, which is another reason why I want one. It's just that I currently don't have $40 that I can just shell out right now...

Sorry...that's what I meant to talk about. (I swear, these days I forget what I'm doing 3 seconds after I start doing it.) I got my Keeper when I was in college and had basically no cash. I saved up for mine for several months by putting all of my change into a special jar and by skipping sodas when I went out to eat (you can save like $1.50 everytime you order a water instead of a soda!). I think I had enough in like 2-3 months.

[ 01-10-2008, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiley64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i use tampons with an ultra thin pad on heavy days and just  a pad on light days. i just feel alot safer from a possible embarassing leak with a tampon. it works well for me [Smile]
Posts: 169 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narwhal
Activist
Member # 34755

(Thanks for the info, Lauren! It sounds like the Lunette would work better for me [Smile] )

Edit: Also, I'm all for people sending me candy. It should happen more often [Big Grin]

[ 01-11-2008, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Narwhal ]

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

(If you wanna score the candy, order from the site Kuukuppi.fi. The ladies there are so amazingly courteous, and shipping to the States from friggin Scandanavia was blazing.. like, a week. [Big Grin] )

[ 01-11-2008, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

curiousanonymous88
Neophyte
Member # 36894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curiousanonymous88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use tampax pearl. super comfy. i hate pads because all that leakage groses me out.
Posts: 8 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
violet1
Neophyte
Member # 37131

Icon 9 posted      Profile for violet1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a hard time using pads i think its becuaes i have sensitive skin but i also have alot of allergies. when i do use pads i can only use them at night because if i use them all the time i get hives and sores. i ws just woumdering if thats because of sensitives or not and if theres a difrent type of pad i could look for to use.
Posts: 1 | From: canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most disposable pads do contain a lot of chemicals and bleaches, and some people are more sensitive to them than others. If you still want to use pads, you could try finding an unbleached brand, or cloth reusable ones.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie101
Activist
Member # 37085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UMM, I sometimes use pads, but I just started a couple periods ago to use tampons with a panty-liner just incase it leaks or something, I like tampons better because when I used to have gym in school and wore a pad it was vverrryy uncomfortable..I wish I wore tampons back then lol!

--------------------
stephh!

Posts: 88 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rina
Activist
Member # 34235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate the feeling of pads. I only wear pantyliners when my period is at it's heaviest as an extra precaution, and occasionally heavy pads during sleep.

I'm really tempted to try the divacup though. We'll see what I think of that. =]

--------------------
Madwomen seldom think they're crazy.

Posts: 83 | From: in my own little world | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say that disposable pads really are a whole different ballgame than washable pads on lunapanties. The latter feels pretty darn different than the former, so even if you want pads for sleep only, you may find that washable pads feel a whole lot better.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I use generally depends on how I'm feeling that particular time. I have PCOS, so sometimes using tampons is a definite out during my period (though I usually prefer them because for me they're easier) but then again I only get my period every 7 weeks now because of my pill cycles - so i can usually use them without worrying about cysts at that particular time.

If I don't have to use pads I don't ... they just feel strange to me.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3426 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCFantasy23
Neophyte
Member # 37462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JCFantasy23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm heavy and love tampons, haven't wore a pad in awhile. I find them uncomfortable and more akin to that heavy, diaper feeling, and feel more self-conscious during the day with them on. Also, they seem to slip all around for me and cause more bleeding through, even though I've used wings and of course know how to apply the pad right. Tampons I don't feel at all and love the convenience of.
Posts: 30 | From: Central Florida | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narwhal
Activist
Member # 34755

Hey Lauren, I got the Lunette. I think it's going to work out for me--it does seem easier to use, I just need more practice to get the hang of it. Thanks!
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I take BCpill every day (no 1 week break each month) under gyno supervision, so I don't menstruate or withdrawl bleed very often. Sometimes I get spotting/all out bleeding if I'm stressed or miss a pill, and about twice a year I do an all out withdrawl bleed. For the sporadic bleeding, I tend to just wear old underwear, and sometimes use a bit of toilet paper to "wipe" it out. I find even underwear feels wierd to me, and pads even more so. I will get a couple washables if I go off the BC (I plan to at some point), and I do have these nice natural non-bleached, soft pads from the drug store, but usually I just put a towel on my bed, and wear old panties. Definately wouldn't work for a super heavy flow though!

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niki
Neophyte
Member # 37106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like pads... I don't understand why people like tampons so much... I think they're uncomfortable, probably because I can never put them in right.
Posts: 32 | From: Earth | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niki - I think it really comes down to the fact that everyone's so different. It's like what toppings you like to put on your pizza ... with so many to choose from everyone's likely to have a favorite. (Ever notice there's a lot of food analogies on this site?)

As far as putting them in correctly though, have you tried being in a different position. Some women put them in sitting down and some have to stand with one foot on the toilet seat lid (and there's really a difference between the two from what I can tell). But I've always liked them over pads so you may just be one that simply doesn’t like the feel of them … and really I don’t feel them but some of my friends say they’re very aware of them. I guess it’s all about the individual.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3426 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eonone
Neophyte
Member # 13596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eonone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a full-fledged Divacup convert here- haven't used a tampon in probably four years or so, and only because I couldn't find my Divacup and had no other alternative. I got the Divacup about six years ago, probably.

Initially, I wore it for twelve hours, cleaned it, twelve hours again, but I found that as I got toward the end of my cycle when I was lighter, I'd get lazy about taking it out on time, so now I alternate wearing the Divacup with pads at night, and sometimes on days when I know I'm going to be super heavy, though those are rare. I also stick to pantiliners throughout my entire cycle. Which doesn't make me feel so great about the economical and environmental reasons I fought my mother into letting me get the Divacup in the first place (Lord, she thought I was so strange), but at least I'm not putting bleach into my body anymore. My Divacup does leak from time to time, but that's probably because I don't use it non-stop anymore.

And as far as pads go, I prefer the humongous, not-even-attempting-to-be-thin ones. If it's going to be diapery and uncomfortable anyway, I'd rather it be soft and cushy. [Smile] But I do need to make the switch to reusable soon.

--------------------
"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." -Homer Simpson

Posts: 24 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.