Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Best FOODS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best FOODS
a0231
Activist
Member # 35379

Icon 6 posted      Profile for a0231     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, all. I am not one to make a New Year's Resolution, but this year I'd like to get myself down a jeans size, from a 10 to an 8. I'm currently around 155-160 but I don't look a bit like it because I hold my weight well and I'm pretty tall. I've lost over 80 pounds over the course of 4 years, but these last 10 or 15 pounds just won't budge!

Anyways, I don't want to hear anything about fad diets as they are risky and not healthy by any means -- I just wanted to know if there were any kinds of foods that could be eaten in combinations that would boost metabolism or decrease an appetite. I've got a bad knee and can't work out as hard or as often as I'd like, so I'm interested in what I can do to eat differently, something easy to stick to, that won't drastically change my diet. Overall, I eat VERY healthy. Any tips?

[ 01-01-2008, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: a0231 ]

Posts: 104 | From: College | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd make an appointment and talk to your doctor. He or she will be able to help you more than what you will find online. Only they know your medical history and can tell you what would do best for your body.

A few pounds that won't budge, I know the deal. I walk regularly, jog or run on days when my energy is up. I eat healthy . . the works. I have pounds that I'd like to shed, but If I do something to loose those pounds, I feel ill and my iron drops.

Asparagus is a good vegetable for women. It helps with bloating and fluid build up, especially when we're menstrating.

Those few pounds, though, whether you like them or not, may be necessary for your body to be healthy. As I said, if I try to loose weight, my body tells me "Hey, I need those few pounds! What are you doing?"

THe best thing.. See your doctor. [Razz]

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, have you read the "Weight Loss Queries" FAQ Lauren posted in this forum? I'd check it out if you haven't already.

--------------------
Has sealed your fate.
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you've said you pretty much have an healthy diet, but I was wondering if you were making sure you were drinking plenty of water ? Not only can it help decrease your appetite but it also help in keeping your body healthy overall.

I don't really know what your diet is like but I'm assuming you eat plenty of fibers, vegetables, fruits, enough proteins, the works ?

Besides keeping an healthy diet, exercice is something that is also important. Are you engaging in any type of exercice ? You said you had some sort of knee injury so you possibly are a bit limited but there are surely certain type of physical exercice--like more lighter ones-- which you can engage in such as maybe walking, swimming, etc. Those can be as beneficial.

And yep, that's something that I would bring up to your GP and discuss with him.

[ 01-01-2008, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a0231
Activist
Member # 35379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a0231     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an issue with the water drinking thing. I'm not too good about drinking my H2O...

I work out as often as my knee will "allow" me to. Some days it feels okay for a bit, but begins to pop and act up as soon as I begin my workout. It has its own mind. I also suffer from exercise-induced asthma, which really makes my cardio workouts rather unfortunate events at times.

Of course my GP has noticed my weight loss over the last few years, and often talks to me about my diet when he is perscribing me medications, when I am sick, or having a physical ailment. My diet is really okay [minus the oh, last 3 or so weeks...*gasp*...the holidays wreck havoc on my fork-to-mouth control!] But I know there are other ways of "combining" foods to be healthier, or control hunger. I'd rather not ever go on a fad diet, considering the risks and such.

Posts: 104 | From: College | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should also be mentioned that sometimes those "last ten pounds" won't budge because you're already at the healthy weight and size your body just IS.

In other words what ideal size of jean you consider there is may be your idea, not what your body wants or feels is best for it. You said you already have a very healthy diet, and you work out as well as you can, so sounds to me like you can be assured you're already doing all you need to for your health.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Fad diets can be generally unhealthy, especially if you get them from a source that isn't reliable (the internet is generally one of them). So good for you for not going that route.

Stress-induced asthma can make it difficult to do strenuous exercises, but there are things you can do. Have you considered physical therapy for your knee? I have had several surgeries on my left knee, and had all the cartilage removed so I know that can be a pain as well, but that may help.

As for the water issue, is it the type of water you are drinking? Do you drink city water, well water, (both could contain chlorine or iron or anything else that may make water not that appealing in taste) or do you drink bottled water? Water really is a good thing to drink. Your body needs water. It's a good habit to consume atleast 32 oz of water daily. (I think it actually may be more than that but I'll have to get back to you on that)

I'd still set up an appointment with your doctor. If the visit is specifically set up for that purpose, he or she will be able to spend more time on that topic as apposed to worrying more on an illness or the like.

--------------------
Has sealed your fate.
Atreyu

ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(64 oz is the recommended amoutn of water, but more is always awesome)

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Thanks, Amanda, I was just looking it up [Razz] Indeed. I probably consume twice the amount.

--------------------
Has sealed your fate.
Atreyu

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.