Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Unable to trust :S

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unable to trust :S
PuNkYeGg
Activist
Member # 21320

Icon 9 posted      Profile for PuNkYeGg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok. Some other people must have this issue too, so any help would be appreciated!

Since my breakup with my 'long term' boyfriend, I feel as if I cant trust anyone. Well, my close friends have my trust completly, but I'm suspicious of any new people that I meet. Girls or guys, I always feel as if they don't mean the things they say or are going to end up imbarasing/hurting me.

I recently met a guy I quite like and I amn't able to believe he likes me. Hes told me and others that he does but even so, Im scared of the outcome.
Im deciding not to rush into anything with ANYONE for a longgg time, due to my last failed relationships. Lol.

This really does bug me though because I feel as if i have to find out millions of things about someone before I can trust them.

I know I cant really do anything and its up to me to learn to trust people, but if anyone has this problem or anything Id like to hear about it!

Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 97 | From: Uk | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how it feels to have problems trusting people, believe me I've been there and I'm still there sometimes too.

I've personnally come to accept that it might just take me longer before I'm able to trust a certain person I met. So I just give it time and it does get better with time once I get to know the person better. I think it does get better too simply day after day throughout little experiences I live which get to prove me that not everyone betray my trust. So, really I think this is something that can get better with time, it's something that can improve and that is not meant to stay that way forever.

I think it's normal though in the beginning of a relationship to sometimes feel that way given we haven't had time to get to know the person very well yet and hence it might be more difficult to trust this person as much as we trust our close friends for example. So giving it time might help in increasing the trust you have towards your partner. That's also something you might want to discuss with him. You might find this helps.

I know this might be difficult to trust a new partner after a breakup because you feel as though the same thing will happen again this time when that's not always the case. So telling yourself that--that not all relationships are meant to fail and that is not really something you can predict with any accuracy at this point anyway (how much your partner loves you now doesn't have much to do with whether or not your relationship will last over time)--might also help.

[ 12-25-2007, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scared16yearold
Neophyte
Member # 36235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scared16yearold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i also know its hard to trust...

my dad had an affair for two years, and i recently found out my partner of a year has cheated on me....it hurts so much.

but thats life tbh, we are all gonna be hurt throughout life, but each time will make us stronger and we will learn why relationships fail.

xxx

Posts: 28 | From: birmingham | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiley64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i deffinately know how that feels... after me and my boyfriend of a year and a half broke up, i didnt want to trust guys, and i automatically assumed that any guy that tried to get to know me, was a lying idiot. i have gotten over that a little bit, but now i am just more cautious, and look for signs that could lead me to believe something. i found that it is ok to let people earn your trust, it works out better that way.~smiley
Posts: 169 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.