Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Asthema

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Asthema
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is a sex ed board but I was wondering if anyone knew about this.

For 4 days now I've been having breathing problems. It led to a fever for a few days, which I shrugged off by sleeping, but I'm still having problems breathing. Its not god-awful, not life threatening, just a real annoyance. It's keeping me up at night even. I'm wheezing through my classes.

I went to the doctor today who said my lungs sounded fine, my blood oxygen levels were fine, and my blood pressure was fine. Even though I'm physically wheezing and uncomfortable, he said he wouldn't perscribe an inhaler to me unless this continues for a month. The thing is... I don't want this to keep happening for a month. It's driving me crazy just 4 days in.

I have a history of asthema in my family (infact, both of my parents and my only sibling all have it, im the only one who doesnt), and for about 5 years, doctors have been telling me "Well, it sounds like asthema but we'll see" and just never get around to giving me an inhaler. This isn't the first time this has happened.

I was wondering if anyone knew about any over-the-counter inhalers out there. I just want to take things into my own hands finally and breathe properly.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't suggest to try to self-medicate (nor am I aware of any over-the-counter inhaler your could use). What I would suggest is getting the opinion of another doctor (any fast clinic your could go to ?) about your breathing difficulties, especially if it is keeping you up at night and been going on for 4 days now and doesn't seem to get any better. (If your breathing difficulties become severe though, then it obviously might be best to not wait and get to the ER instead.) While the last doctor didn't seem to have done anything to improve your condition, another doctor might. Sometimes it's just a matter of getting a second opinion.

It's possible it is asthma but it can be also due to other things too. But in either case, this shouldn't be something you should have to endure any longer. I get how frustrating this might be. Did your last doctor suggest you at least something you could try to help relieve your breathing difficulties ?

[ 12-10-2007, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at college, so I don't know of any other doctors around here. I'm home for winter break in 9 days, but I don't know, it seems like such a long time.

He said its due to a cold. He also suggested it could be because of dry weather. But I don't have the cash (nor room... I'm in a dorm) for a humidifier, and the rest of my cold-ish symptoms have gotten better, save the breathing.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Windy-La Raindrop
Neophyte
Member # 35470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Windy-La Raindrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey pixeldot- I'm a medicated asthmatic, and I can say certainly that there isn't anything over the counter for asthma specifically, but there are a few things you can do to ease your breathing until you see a doctor that will take you seriously.

-long hot showers: the steam can give you some temporary relief.
-hot cups of tea (I particularly recommend peppermint)

Basically, heat and moisture will help a lot. Let me know if there's any other advice you need.

--------------------
I'm not as random as you think I salad.

Posts: 23 | From: On the third shelf, right next to the ketchup. | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a student health center on campus? Would there be any way for you to visit the doctor or nurse there, at the very least to get a second opinion?

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.