Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » HELP! Hair loss to the extremes!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP! Hair loss to the extremes!!!
LBelle22
Activist
Member # 35782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBelle22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So here I go, for a while now I've been aving some issues with my hair and it kind of freaks me out. After taking a shower of whenever I brush my hair I notice that a HUGE amount of my hair fall/comes out. I can literally feel it come out during brushing. I tried some of that special shampoo that helps build strong hair, but it didn't really seem to help at all. Could this be something more than just weak hair? Should I be concerned? I'm going for my yearly physical this week so should I bring this up with my Docotr?
Posts: 40 | From: Providence, RI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all- are you on any medications? Any diet changes (i know you discussed becoming a vegetarian)? And how long has this been going on for, that you've noticed?

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LBelle22
Activist
Member # 35782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBelle22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just became a vegetarian so that could not be the cause. This has been going on for months(maybe even a year). I've tried different shampoos but nothing helps. I hear about older people loosing their hair but never teenagers. Any advice?
Posts: 40 | From: Providence, RI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, losing hair is a normal part of everyones day. In general, the average loss is between 50-100 hairs a day. Wearing your hair in tight styles (such as braids or a tight ponytail or bun every day) could stress your hair, making it break and fall out, as well as styling your hair when it's still wet (the bending can stretch and weaken the hair) Blowdrying your hair can dry it out, so it's actually best to air dry.

Also, hair loss is genetic. How is the hair on your grandparents and parents heads?

How much protein were you eating before the switch to vegetarianism? Not getting enough protein, vitamins or minerals could also be a cause. That is easily fixed by upping the amount of missing nutrient into the diet. You'd most likely have to get a blood test to determine which nutrient you might be missing out on.

There are other underlying causes that may result in hair loss in younger people, such as a thyroid or endocrine imbalance. Those can be treated with medication.

If you feel that you are losing an extreme amount of your hair per day, then checking in with your doctor would be a good idea. S/he may do just a scalp test, or they may take hair and/or blood samples to test for underlying conditions, if they so feel necessary. So definitly check with your doctor, and in the meantime, don't stress you hair anymore than you have too.

Good Luck! [Smile]

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LBelle22
Activist
Member # 35782

Thanks!
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Great in-depth answer, asargent! [Smile] )

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.