Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » DivaCup/vaginal dryness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DivaCup/vaginal dryness
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 5 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my first DivaCup today, and I'm pretty happy with it...except inserting it is no piece of cake. I think I was just tense (nervous that I would lose my grip on the fold and it would pop open too soon and hurt...which happend the second time I put it in), so I think that may be the reason. I read that using a bit of lube helps as you get used to using it; should I invest in some KY, or just try to relax? [Smile]

Also, a big reason I got a DivaCup in the first place was because tampons dried me out terribly. Will simple things, like drinking more water, help with that? Or do I need a vaginal moisturizer?

Thanks very much! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd definitely recommend picking up some lubricant, whether it be KY liquid or Astroglide, or whatever you decide works best for you. You don't need to use a lot, just a little bit to help the cup slide in more comfortably. [Smile]

Relaxing will probably make a difference too, and the more you get used to the cup the less of a deal it will be to insert it.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was fast! Again, thanks very much, this site is amazing. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll also probably find that just using the Diva Cup instead of tampons will solve most of your dryness problem. Of course, it's good for your body period when you drink lots of water. But there's likely no need for a vaginal moisturizer.

Like dailicious said, a bit of lube may help with insertion as you're learning about it. You may find, once you're comfortable you don't need lube anymore. When I got my Keeper, I needed a bit of lube for the first few cycles, but after that just wetting the cup with water was enough. (I usually carried a bottle of water in my purse for that purpose and so that I could rinse the cup off when I had to empty it and was in a public restroom.)

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first tried to insert the cup, I just wet it with water (after washing it, of course), and it didn't do much; as you said, I'm sure I just need to get the hang of it, and lube sounds like it will definately help. [Smile] And yeah, I didn't think I needed a moisturizer, but I just wanted to be sure it wasn't necessary; thanks for clarifying. KittenGoddess just answered another question of mine about cleaning a menstrual cup in a public bathroom--I never thought of carrying a water bottle, I'll definately do that next time [Razz]

--------------------

Narwhal
Activist
Member # 34755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narwhal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to check out the Livejournal community for menstrual cups, too. They show some different ways of folding the cups, and it seems that different people find that different folds work better for them.

I have to say though, I haven't been having much luck with the Divacup. Inserting it is easy, I just had to get over the nervousness, (and yeah, lube helps too) but I have such a hard time removing it it's not even funny.

Posts: 147 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

I checked out the community, and it was very helpful; thanks for pointing me in that direction [Smile] And yeah, removal isn't easy for me either, but not as difficult/painful as insertion...my simply getting used to it is going to help tremendously, I think (I had similar trouble with inserting/taking out tampons when I first started using them.)

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.