Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Illustrated BMI Project

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Illustrated BMI Project
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Illustrated BMI Project

I came across this today and wanted to share. It's a series of photos of people with their weight classification (underweight, normal, overweight, etc.). It was really interesting to look at one person labeled obese by their BMI who appeared smaller than another person labeled overweight. That happened several times throughout the show.

The slideshow is a good visual reminder of the limitations of BMI numbers. There is no way to take things like muscle vs. fat into account and the numbers don't reflect actual function the way numbers like blood pressure or blood sugar do.

--------------------
I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns. --Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was very interesting, thanks for sharing. I was surprised at some of the people who were labeled "overweight". In a class I took last semester we spent a whole unit looking at American views of overweight, and read several articles about how what's more of a problem than being overweight or obese is the yo-yo dieting that often results.
Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta say I'm a bit suspicious about the accuracy of their results on the BMI test. Did they state it was really the true result they got on the BMI test and not some results they made up themselves ?

Although I'm fully aware than BMI testing isn't perfect given it doesn't take into account the bone bass or whether it's muscle or fat, I never though it could be that innacurate this often. I was really shocked to see the results some people got from it.

Some people for example got labeled overweight and I'd never labeled them as such just by looking at them. Also I've always heard that photos make people look bigger than in real so if it is indeed true I suppose the innacuracy would be even more obvious if we saw those people in real life instead of on photos. it's just even more shocking.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooooooom
Neophyte
Member # 34398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ooooooom         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. It seemed pretty accurate to me. There were a few that were surprising, but mostly the people that they said were overweight did seem a little on the chubby side. The people they said were obese definitely seemed that way as well.
Posts: 9 | From: mass | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.