Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Whats a menstrual cup ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whats a menstrual cup ?
devlevgre
Neophyte
Member # 35217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devlevgre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have never heard of one before i came on this site...and am wondering what one is?
Posts: 13 | From: world | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A menstrual cup usually refers to a reusable device worn inside the vagina to collect menstrual flow in lieu of pads or tampons. It's a soft, bell-shaped cup-like device that is folded during insertion and unfurls inside, creating a seal with the vaginal walls that protects against leakage. It can be worn for up to 12 hours at a time, and is simply removed, emptied, washed with hot soapy water, and re-inserted.

It's gaining in popularity; its biggest drawing point is the low cost -- only 20-40 dollars for up to 10 years of use, which is usually less than a woman spends on disposable products in one year. [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
devlevgre
Neophyte
Member # 35217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devlevgre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it dosent slip or nothing?
Posts: 13 | From: world | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the same way tampons don't slip, and really, even more so because it's held by both muscles further back and the pubic bone.

Don't forget: the vagina isn't just some flippedy-floppedy tube lying around. It's a muscle, a strong one at that, and it contracts to hold whatever is inside it.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
devlevgre
Neophyte
Member # 35217

wouldnt it be hard to place/remove
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope! It's simply folded and inserted; most gently pop open once inside you and form a seal automatically.

To remove, one simply pinches the base to break the suction, pulls it out, and folds it lightly to remove. It's really very simple; most women get it down within one menstrual cycle.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to buy one of these and never really gotten around to it... I have a question, though. I've never had luck with those instead cups, I've literally gone through 3 boxes over the last few years (trying whenever I get the urge) and never gotten them to work right, they always slip out. How do the reusable cups differ? I just don't want to spend $40 and find that I absolutely can't use it.
Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Instead cups, for me, were an absolute nightmare, though I got by using them when I couldn't insert my cup for whatever reason since they're thinner. All I gotta say is.. there's a reason diaphragms are fitted. Insteads function almost exactly like a diaphragm, except "one-size-fits-all" well.. doesn't.

The way reusable cups work is totally different. Instead is anchored behind the cervix and above the pubic bone, which can push it out of place when one coughs or sneezes. Reusable cups sit vertically, forming a seal with the vaginal walls themselves; they aren't dependent on sizing of cervical anatomy. (Btw, most cups have a money-back guarantee in case they don't work!)

gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds much more doable. I definitely want to try if they work differently. Thanks for your reply!
Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just want to chime in here that Divacups and Keepers are really apples and oranges as compared to the Instead cup.

As different as say, a Divacup and a tampon, you ask me.

I used an Instead once, long ago when they came out (and they haven't changed anything about them since) and found it 100% useless, but have both a Diva and a Keeper and they both work gloriously. Heck, when in a pinch, even my diaphragm works just fine as a cup which the Instead cup did not, so even that comparison seems ill-fitting (quite literally!).

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
devlevgre
Neophyte
Member # 35217

over all qwestion is it worth the money to buy one
Heather
Member # 3

Consider the money you spend on disposable products, and look at the fact that these cups have a lifetime guarantee.

If you change tampons as often as you should, for a cup that'll last you an AGE, you'll have spent the same amount of money on tampons for around a mere 10 periods or so.

Quite a bargain, really. I can't count the cash I've saved using cups and washable pads only for the last....eh, I'm at a good ten years at this point, possibly more. I started using washables part-time around 1989: even just using them half of the time cut my costs considerably.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.