Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » General info about braces?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: General info about braces?
BlueGender
Neophyte
Member # 33980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueGender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I wouldn't know anywhere else to ask such questions and I don't have friends with braces. And other people with them on, the topic is never discussed.

So I just got them a day and a half ago and have not tried to put anything but pure liquid into my mouth. I havn't put anything in between my teeth for 2+ weeks now due to spacers + teeth pulled, and now another week due to wanting to get used to braces.

What would it be like if I were to bite into something? like some peanut butter and jelly or a hamburger? I don't see how it's possible to not have trouble with biting into anything and not have more food get stuck on your teeth than down your throat.

I also expect to be cleaning my teeth for 10+ minutes every single day, everyone goes through it right? I just never hear complaints about it.

[ 08-29-2007, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: BlueGender ]

Posts: 18 | From: WA, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Braces, unfortunately, are pretty darn high maintenance. Thus far I've had braces for almost 3 years- and while it does hurt when you first get them, and when they get tightened, it definately can hurt to bite into things. With regards to brushing, it's very important to take that time to clean them- did your orthodontist show you any bad-hygiene horror pics?? But it becomes routine, and you get used to it.

(And yes, stuff with buns and sandwiches will get horribly stuck in your braces- you learn to either suck out all the food or carry a little toothbrush with you [Wink] )

One thing that I find really helps with getting used to braces is to force yourself to chew soft things (like pasta, for example). Eventually, your teeth will adjust to the pressure, and it'll start to hurt less. And of course, you can always take a Tylenol or Advil if the pain's pretty bad.

(And if you want more info? Do a search of the boards- there have been a few threads on braces here and there. [Smile] )

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had braces for almost four years, and Leabug's right - you do get used to it eventually. It sucks, and I'm still in the habit of checking my teeth compulsively to see if there's food stuck in them! But also, did your orthodontist tell you about floss threaders? Definitely invest in those if you haven't already. They make flossing SO much easier.

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueGender
Neophyte
Member # 33980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueGender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A week after I got my braces, I try to eat a grape and it still hurts. Same thing happens why I try to brush my front teeth.

I may not be able to chew anything for 2 years ;_;

Posts: 18 | From: WA, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BAH! I had braces for 5 years!!! and I remember what a pain they were. I'd have to eat soft tofu and broth for a frickin' week!

You can take Advil for the pain. It kinda helps. But really, avoid chewing things until you can bite down and not feel discomfort.

And don't eat stuff on the No-No list. Otherwise you'll be like me, wearing them for way longer than you should have to.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gummy, did you find that eating things when it's still painful contributed to the delay?? Cuz I've always found that pushing myself made the pain get tolerable faster, but I've had braces forever too and my ortho said my progress had slowed... now I'm afraid I'm messing it up! [Eek!]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. I'm just a compulsive eater and I like eating things like apples, pizza, popcorn and candy. I kept breaking my dang brackets. By the time they were removed, each bracket had been replaced at least twice.

I was a lousy orthodontic patient.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

I still eat pizza and candy- it's all in learning how to chew without getting your brackets too involved [Wink] Just kidding, just kidding- I've broken my share of brackets too, with carrots and other things of that nature. The worst thing? I once bit funny on a fork eating in a moving car, and it got stuck under my archwire and pulled it out halfway, bent and sticking straight out my mouth. Yay. Made me wish we'd gotten more basic brackets, with all the bands- mine just have the wire snap in without any elastics to hold it there.

--------------------
Lea

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.