Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Bras, or the lack thereof. (+ breast-binding)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bras, or the lack thereof. (+ breast-binding)
snail
Neophyte
Member # 34904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 18, have small-to-average sized breasts, and HATE bras. Hate hate hate. Too large, too small, uncomfortable, underwire pokes me, too tight, too loose, etc. Admittedly, I'm going with cheap off-the-rack stuff mostly, but I have a minuscule clothes budget and don't really want to spend the money to be fitted/buy custom bras, etc.

Whenever I'm really vexed, I tend to give up on bras all together and just wear layers (to avoid distracting people with nipples)--my sister thinks this is crazy, but it's never given me any problem. Should I be worried about increased...er...droopiness? Is there some particularly important health function that bras fulfill? Again, I'm lucky to have small enough breasts that they're not really a problem during normal activity; although a size-too-small sports bra works for running and such.

Finally, a rather different question: I'm interested in appearing more genderqueer/androgynous, at least some of the time. Any information on breast binding--making it healthy, comfortable, etc--would be much appreciated. Since my breasts are fairly small, I usually use a couple of sportsbras and loose clothing, but I'd be interested in making it more effective.

--------------------
What is straight? A line can be straight, or a street, but the human heart, oh, no, it's curved like a road through mountains.

~Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Desire, 1947

Posts: 18 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Activist
Member # 29608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, I know what you mean. I HATE bras.
I have average size breasts, I suppose, for a 15-yr-old but they always seem so huge to me. I don't like having boobs at all, and I usually can conceal them with a tight sports bra and a tight shirt and a looser shirt over top, but that tends to get annoying in the summer when I wish I was a guy and could get away with wearing no shirt.

I also wanna learn more about breast binding... but my breasts are probably in the process of still growing because it hurts if I wear something too tight over my nipples... is that normal?

Anyway, I don't think bras are immensely important for your boobs to stay healthy... at least I don't think so...

Sorry I'm not much of a help. I wanna hang around for the answer to the breast binding question.

--------------------
"think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a f***ing sharp knife to it."
- banksy

Posts: 58 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't wear a bra, except maybe once or twice a year if I'm going somewhere fancy. I, like you, had heard horror stories of "Drooping boobs" etc when I Was younger, but there is no validity to that statement. Now, I do know that if you wear a bra alot, you're body becomes "dependent" on it, and your muscles will devellop a bit differently than if you go "naturally". Thus, switching from no-bra to bra or bra to no-bra can cause some back pain, etc initially. I hate bras. I just go without!

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narwhal
Activist
Member # 34755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narwhal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snail, bras are strictly a matter of taste and personal preference. Not wearing one will not cause your breasts to droop: that happens if you gain and lose weight, for example due to pregnancy and breastfeeding, not because you did or didn't wear a bra. If your breasts droop later in life, they may look less droopy while you wear a bra, but otherwise the bra does nothing for it.

If you do want to wear a bra, shop around and try on some different styles, and see if you can find a department store with a free bra fitting service to make sure you know the correct size. I've found that "convertible" bra styles (the ones with removable straps so they can be worn strapless) are often better made than other bras in the same price range. Also, the shape of the cups and place where the straps attach suits my body shape.

Otherwise, don't be shy about going braless. Men's tank tops, found in the underwear department, are cheap and comfortable as a layer to keep your nipples concealed. [Smile]

Posts: 147 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snail
Neophyte
Member # 34904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much, you're all awesome. [Big Grin]

Imogen: Yes, I know EXACTLY what you mean! When all the boys peel off their shirts in summer I go "Lord, don't I wish I could do that!" And in my very limited experience, that super-sensitivity goes away. When I was around 15-16 I would scream if something hit my chest on bad days, but now it's nothing like that at all. Thank god. haha

Narwhal & pyro: Thanks a bunch! My fears are assuaged, and I'll be going braless and guiltless at least some of the time in the future. The men's tank top idea is a super-great one.

*waits patiently on the breast-binding question* Probably a slightly unusual question, I didn't see it on the first 5 or so pages of the forum topics.

--------------------
What is straight? A line can be straight, or a street, but the human heart, oh, no, it's curved like a road through mountains.

~Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Desire, 1947

Posts: 18 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alittlenothing
Neophyte
Member # 35277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alittlenothing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped wearing bras about six months ago (age 20). They're so uncomfortable--I just hate having something pinching me right below my breasts. I guess there are bras out there that would be comfortable but I don't think I'd feel like wearing even an exceptionally comfortable bra. I have pretty small breasts so I don't need the support, really. Your breasts sagging is a normal part of aging, I think. It's unavoidable and certainly not worth being uncomfortable for the majority of your life by wearing an article of clothing you just don't like. I wear tank tops in place of bras, basically just to keep my nipples from showing through my shirts. It's good.

I want to look more androgynous as well, although this time of year I'm distracted by pleated skirts and tight sweaters. Oh well, at least 2/3 of my head is still shaved.

Sorry I can't be of any help on the breast-binding question. I can only recall coming across talk of it at random--I'm not sure where to find it when I really do want to read about it! I will look around when I'm less sleep-deprived and report my findings, though.

Posts: 3 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.