Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » I have to get an MRI done.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have to get an MRI done.
Yasmin
Activist
Member # 32631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yasmin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really scared. I'm very claustrophobic and I know I'll freak out. I'm just really, really scared.

Can someone please calm me down? Like, if anyone has gotten one done, just let me know about your experience. I'm so scared I could cry.

Posts: 97 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard that the worst thing about an MRI is simply that it's boring. Given that you have some claustrophobia-related fears, it might be a good idea to discuss these with your doctor beforehand.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
In Love With My Baby
Activist
Member # 31696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for In Love With My Baby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had one done Thursday! You will hear many many clicking noises! The place I went gave me headphones and I could bring my own music so maybe you could ask about that? What part of your body is getting the MRI?
Posts: 127 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you let anybody know that you're claustrophobic? There are special MRI machines available for people who have problems with tight spaces. So if you let someone know, it shouldn't be a problem to schedule your MRI in one of those machines. (But even if you aren't able to schedule an open machine, you still need to let someone know about your claustrophobia. So tell your doctor and tell the tech who is running the machine when you go in that day.)

I've had several MRIs done in the past and I'll agree with what Beppie noted...it's boring. Really really boring. You hear lots of clicking and you have to hold very still. So there's just really not a lot to do other than make a grocery list, think about what you're going to do tomorrow, and wonder about what might happen if various celebrities had biological children together. [Smile] In all seriousness though, it's not that bad. Besides the boredom, it's all good. Once you get used to the clicking, it's almost relaxing!

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yasmin
Activist
Member # 32631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yasmin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man. Thanks, you guys.

Well, my back is getting examined. I have some disk issues.

I'm actually really scared they'll find something they didn't see in the x-ray and they'll have to do back surgery on me. And then they could mess up and I could be paralyzed!

But knowing what you guys have told me, I can calm down a little.

Posts: 97 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to comment on what Sarah said above; do not get too comfortable! It'll trick you with a bunch of almost soothing clicking noises, and all the sudden be interrupted by loud blaring that made me jump many a time!

When I went in they'd always ask if I had claustrophobia. If so, I think they offered sedative, but I'm not sure if this policy holds where you're going/if they still do this. Just hold still, chill to some music if they let you bring a CD, and think of other things. You'll be okay! [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.