Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » yasmin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: yasmin
SumThinMeanAndSweet
Activist
Member # 31043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SumThinMeanAndSweet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question: I heard yasin bc can aid in weight loss....is this true?please respond only if u have used yasmin or any other bc that can aid in weight loss.
Posts: 56 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lexie
Activist
Member # 29769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lexie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive used it, and its like any other birth control in that you may gain weight, you may lose it.

this one is designed so women have less sideaffects - so its less likely to have any affect on your weight (as it did in my case).

and i doubt you would be advised to use birth control purely for the affects it may or may not have on your weight.

Posts: 76 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lexie is quite right in that we will not advise you to use the pill for weight loss purposes. If you DO need to lose weight, because you are unhealthily obese, then the best course of action is to consult your doctor about a sensible diet and exercise plan (one that involves developing healthy eating habits, rather than focusing reducing food intake). Even in this case, using medication to assist in weight loss should be a last resort, and ONLY under medical supervision.

If you don't need to lose weight for health reasons, then you do NOT need to be seeking out any sort of medical aids to weight loss. Just make sure you eat healthy and get regular exercise in order to maintain your health.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SumThinMeanAndSweet
Activist
Member # 31043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SumThinMeanAndSweet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.....intresting and very harsh response from "beppie"No I'm Not UNHEALTHILY OBESE" that was just a question I wanted to know. Like I said in the beginning I HEARD YAZMIN CAN AID IN WEIGHT LOSS. And while I was watching a program on discovery health they had giving this chick some bc pill that had made he lose like 50 pounds in like a month. And I was just curious if that can happen. Plus I don't even need any bc.....I'm not having sex with no one so personally I don't care about yazin....just wanted to know if that could happen.
Posts: 56 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beppie did NOT give you a harsh response- she gave you a frank and honest one, the way we all answer every question here. We had no way of knowing whether you're asking because you want to use it to lose weight, or because you're just curious, and we have to assume the first, just for safety's sake (both yours, and for future readers who may see this thread).

Also, please be aware that rudeness towards volunteers is against the guidelines of the boards- you've been around here long enough to know that.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just to clarify, I don't think Beppie meant to imply that you are overweight. Her response was that "If you do need to lose weight...". Emphasis belongs on the if there. So in other words, if you go to the doctor and if they indicate that you should lose some weight in order to protect your health, then you should talk with them about healthy ways to change your lifestyle.)

[ 06-05-2007, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SumThinMeanAndSweet
Activist
Member # 31043

First off I was not rude at all......I was being "frank and honest" that seems to be the tones from some of the volunteers. Now I'm being rude and theres the difference between the first response I posted and this one.
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I can see how you might have misread that, SumThinMeanAndSweet. What Beppie meant to say was "If you are deemed unhealthily obese" by your doctor. A staff/volunteer will never pass judgment like that, especially when you didn't give us any reason to suspect such! Consulting with doctors before taking any measure to lose weight is a standard reply because we can't properly evaluate the need to do so or the efficacy of the method like a physician.

We apologize for the misunderstanding. I can assure you no meanness or rudeness was intended, and I'm sorry it was read like that. [Smile]

By all means, if you still would like this situation looked into/have a problem with any volunteer, please feel free to contact boards@scarleteen.com. Thanks!)

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the question at hand! [Smile]

I'm very highly doubtful that any birth control pill will cause weight loss of that magnitude. It could be that the woman in question was on a previous pill that had this effect, and switching to one better suited to her body reversed it.

Drospirenone, the progestin in Yasmin, has mild diuretic properties which counter the water weight gain some women experience. In fact, there was a bit of controversy a few years ago about female athletes taking Yasmin, and it was prohibited. However, it has since been lifted in absence of evidence of significant weight loss.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SumThinMeanAndSweet
Activist
Member # 31043

Thank you mis lauren for the last response you gave....that was all I was asking. Nothing else but that simple answer. Also lexie answered it for me too with her personal experience with bc. I too have been on bc....lo orval at that and I didn't see a change in me ony that I didn't gain as much weight as I thouth I would cause I wasn't eating right at all....being that for the months(7 months) I was on it all I ate was mcdonalds for breakfast lunch and dinner literaly because I worked there and the shifts I had was 9pm to 5am and I slept the rest of the day till I had to work again.so I only ate at work. But them majority of what I was eating was salad and water.... and a couple of cheats with a large fries lol. So idk...but thanks for the responses.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.