Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Ew.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ew.
shellybell
Neophyte
Member # 33329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shellybell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mann, vagina's are gross looking. [Razz] I know I know penis's arn't pretty either.. but I'm confused why a guy gets so excited just by looking at one! I know its probably because all the many things he can do with it.. but why the hell does that turn him on!? its ugly!

--------------------
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
Marilyn Monroe

Posts: 38 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey: just because you've got body dysphoria issues doesn't mean everyone else does or that everyone else sees something normal and natural so negatively.

You know, I've never seen a healthy set of genitals, male and female alike, that I didn't think wasn't really cool looking and beautiful, whether I was looking at genitals I was having some kind of sex with, or looking at genitals I had no vested interest in touching or being sexually involved with. How many vulvas besides your own have you actually seen up close and personal, anyway?

If you even just look through art history, you can find LOADS of artists who weren't sexualizing genitalia and were clearly just fascinated with their organic beauty, so it's a big stretch to presume that the only reason anyone would find beauty in genitals is because they wanted to utilize them in some way.

(FYI? None of us needs to hear juveline "eeews" and "uglies" about bodies or genitals here, okay? I know you're young, but if you want to talk about your issues in being unable to see vulvas -- hint: vaginas are inside the body, so you can't really see those without a speculum -- without negativity, we can talk about that, but we ask you find a way to have that discussion with more maturity than this, okay?)

[ 04-11-2007, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(To second what Heather said about artists seeing the organic beauty of human genitals and to just note a specific example, have you ever seen any paintings of flowers, such as those of Georgia O'Keefe? Many beautiful flowers greatly resemble a woman's beautiful labia.)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shellybell
Neophyte
Member # 33329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shellybell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..Sorry, I was only wondering.. I didn't mean it to make anyone think that their genitals are ugly.. its only my opinnion. I'm sorry if you thought I was being negative and no I have never seen a paiting or what not of genitals I guess I could look at them sometime.. I guess maybe I'm missing the big picture. I'm sorry if I seemed like an immature idiot when I said/asked that.. I only meant to say what my opinnion was and I only wanted to know why guys got to turned on by it.. I didn't mean the 'ewws' ..sorry..

--------------------
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
Marilyn Monroe

Posts: 38 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Additionally, you might also want to recognise that (a) not all guys are heterosexual, and (b) human sexuality (including male sexuality) does not exist solely in the genitals-- feeling sexually attracted to someone is rarely solely about the appearance of a vulva or penis.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like you really haven't even seen many, if any vulvas. Might these ideas of what's gross be coming from poor body image of your own, or from what you're hearing others say?

Nobody is an idiot here: there's a lot of negativity set around female genitals, but more of it is based in sexual shaming and things to keep women down than in the reality of how something looks.

Men and women alike who are attracted to women find vulvas visually pleasing for a number of reasons. Sometimes, it's simply a matter of genitals being a cool thing and being atached to a person one likes as a whole. Sometimes, it's about aesthetics -- about just thinking that something is visually beautiful or good-looking because it simply looks that way to a person. Sometimes it is because of what those genitals do for a person (or because seeing genitals be responsive to our touch or presence is a nice boost), and sometimes, it's all of those things or other issues as well.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shellybell
Neophyte
Member # 33329

Wow.. I looked at the paintings of Georgia O'Keefe. My goodness they are fascinating. I'm sorry for sounded like an immature idiot. Yes i havent seen anyone but my own genitals so I didn't know they could be so beautiful. Yes I have self issues with my body so its hard for me to actually think something on my body is beautiful, but those paintings are really good. I now see why everyone calls them beautiful [Razz] I think its cool how they work and everything, I just didn't know that they could look good aswell. Well, I just learned something new. Thank you for setting my head straight. [Smile]

--------------------
Marilyn Monroe

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.