Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Not sure where to put this post.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not sure where to put this post.
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's nothing to do with sex or health or anything, but it's a personal issue. I'm putting it here because I can't find where else it could go. If it should go on a different board, can someone move it for me and tell me which board for future reference, please?

First, I'd like to apologise for certain comments I made recently. I didn't think through what I was saying, I tend to do that a lot, but I don't do it anything like as often as I used to and I'm getting better all the time. (Actually back in counselling for unrelated issues, but I'm also planning to ask the counsellor for help on connecting brain to mouth or typing fingers [Smile] ) I'd be really grateful if a mod could erase the comment, accept my apology and consider the business forgotten. Sorry about that.

Anyway, the thing I actually wanted to ask about. It's sort of connected to religion, but nothing really deep and meaningful. I really don't mean to be offensive in any way, it's just a reflection of my own personal thoughts, and I don't have anything against any religion at all.

Basically, I'm agnostic. I don't want to make decisions either way on any religion, for various personal reasons. Trouble is, I'm at a Christian school, and we have hymn practice twice a week in assembly. A lot of the hymns I'm okay with, but some I don't like having to join in with because they contradict my own beliefs. The one I'm really thinking of begins "Firmly I believe and truly / God is three and God is one". I don't like having to sing this one, because I don't "firmly believe" it, and I feel like singing it means I'm lying about something important, and it makes me a little uncomfortable, even if nobody else cares.

Am I justified in not joining in with these hymns? Am I just being silly, since after all it IS just a song? Should I still join in to show "school spirit" or something? Should I ask my teachers about it, or other non-Christian students, or what?

Once again, no offense is meant to anyone. Hope someone can help.

[ 04-07-2007, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: mizchastain ]

Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that simply not joining in with the hymns, if you feel that you can't do so in good conscience, is fine.

What have you done up to this point? Have you refrained from singing in those hymns before, or is is only now that you're thinking about staying out of it? If you've done so before, and it's all been fine, then keep going the way you have been. If you think you may come up against some resistance from school administration, then you might try calmly discussing it in terms of respect for their faith: instead of saying "I don't want to do it", you could say that you feel it's disrespectful to the true believers at your school for you to affirm faith that you do not truly feel.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've joined in when the music teacher's going on about how everyone's singing too quietly (he's a great guy but he does that a lot), and other times I've just not joined in and felt slightly uncomfortable for not doing so in case I was asked why.

quote:
you feel it's disrespectful to the true believers at your school for you to affirm faith that you do not truly feel.
You managed to say that better than I was doing, thanks. I was thinking "if God exists, is he going to be less upset by me not joining in hymn practice or by me essentially lying to him?" I wasn't sure if I was justified in thinking of it that way - hey, I sing along with plenty of songs where the lyrics don't apply to me. This feels different from that, but I couldn't quite define why.

Thanks for the help. Guess Easter's a sorta odd time to be asking this, heh ...

Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Easter's a very good time to be asking about it, since it's a time that people of a Christian persuasion tend to re-affirm their faith-- and since you're not of that faith, the contrast between yourself and more religious types probably seems more obvious.

If you really feel that joining in the songs is wrong for you, and simply not singing isn't going to work for long, I would suggest taking this up with your teacher, framing it, as I mentioned above, around the notion of religious respect.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

I was just concerned if asking about problems coming from not being Christian was really tactful around the biggest Christian festival [Smile] (Well, Christmas is more publicised, but from what I know of the real religious aspect, Easter's more important.) You're probably right, I'm just noticing it more around this time.

I'll ask about it when I get back to school after the holiday.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.