Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » nuvaring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: nuvaring
November
Activist
Member # 29762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for November     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am on, like it says, nuvaring and i'm supposed to take it out tomorrow (friday) around noon, but i was wondering if it would be okay to take it out on saturday around noon. also, i'm supposed to go into my gyno on monday morning to get my prescription renewed and they want to do a check up, and i need to make sure that i'm not on my period, which will be hard because i will definitely have my period by monday if i take the ring out on friday. it usually takes around 2 days for me to get it after the ring is gone.

the little booklet that came with nuvaring says that i can keep it in an extra week, and i just wanted to make sure that it will protect me.

thanks.

Posts: 63 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll be protected no matter how long you leave it in, just as long as you are absolutely sure to insert a fresh ring on the same day you would if you took the 7 day break.

You may experience some spotting/light bleeding if you skip/partially repress this withdrawal bleed, though, so if that bothers you, you might want to just reschedule your gyn appointment.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
November
Activist
Member # 29762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for November     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't know if i'm not reading this right, but are you saying that i won't be protected for an extra day?

i put the ring in 3 weeks ago on a friday around noon. i was supposed to take it out today which is friday, but what i was wondering was if i could take it out tomorrow which is saturday. will it protect me for an extra day?

Posts: 63 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
November
Activist
Member # 29762

i went to this website that has information about nuvaring, and this is what it said:

"If you leave the ring in place for more than 4 weeks you may not be adequately protected against pregnancy."

so will i be protected if i leave it in for this "4th" week? i already plan on leaving it in because i have a gyno appointment, and i'm hoping that it will supress my period until monday morning.

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What it meant is that you won't be protected if you leave your ring in for more than 28 days.

Just as long as you start the new ring on the same day you normally would, you'll be perfectly fine. [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
November
Activist
Member # 29762

yeah, i understand that, i was just trying to justify it to myself that i will be protected during my 4th week. just making sure that i won't get pregnant and that i don't have to use an extra method of birth control
November
Activist
Member # 29762

i just don't know why it says that i can only keep it in for 3 weeks and then take a 7 day break, but supposedly i'll still be protected if i leave it in for 4 weeks? is this 3 week thing just because that's what a normal cycle is like?

yes or no. am i protect even though i am technically on my 4th week of nuvaring?

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Okay. The three weeks are necessary to suppress ovulation and prevent pregnancy.

The 4th ring-free week technically mimics the placebo week of birth control pills. It does not matter whether a woman takes those pills or not, as long as she starts her next pack after 28 days on time.

Now, the hormones in the ring MAY begin to wear off during the 4th week, but that will have no bearing on effectiveness, since the ring has done it's job, anyway, and it's supposed to be a hormone free week.

As long as you use the ring for those first three weeks consistently and start the next one when you're supposed to, whether you choose to leave the ring in or take it out to get a withdrawal bleed, you'll be okay.

I'm sorry about the confusion. Does that make more sense?

November
Activist
Member # 29762

i was wondering if i had sex today, which is the first day of my 4th week, would i be protected?
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

If you've had the ring in for the full 21 days, you're protected. [Smile]
November
Activist
Member # 29762

i am on my 21st day and almost my 22nd day, by the time i have sex it will be my 22nd day. will i be protected on my 22nd day?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're protected by the 21st day, then that means you're protected from that day on: the 22nd, the 23rd and onward.

But by all means, if you don't feel secure about that, all your partner needs to do to give you that extra security is to backup with a condom, and all you need to do to make that happen is hand it over and ask. Easy as pie!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
November
Activist
Member # 29762

i haven't put a new ring in, this is still my old ring. it is 21-22 days old right now
November
Activist
Member # 29762

i'm not saying i've put a new ring in on the 21st day. i'm saying the 21st day has come up, and i have not taken it out. it will be 22 days old tomorrow around saturday.
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Hun, you're protected no matter what you do from day 21 on, just as long as you insert a fresh one next week on Friday.

The hormone-free week exists just to let a woman have a period. Some women choose to suppress a bleed, like you, by continuing with hormones during the 4th week, and whether this is done or not has no bearing on effectiveness as long as the regular schedule is continued.

forget me not
Neophyte
Member # 33601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forget me not     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 04-25-2007, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: miss ack ]

--------------------
"Fortes fortuna adiuvat" (Fortune favors the brave) - Latin proverb

Posts: 28 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.