Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Fake Tan?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fake Tan?
Flossy
Activist
Member # 32169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flossy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I`m laying in the tanning bed. I know its bad. And I`m not going back after this month.
I got a magazine and it had this huge article on skin cancer.. and I saw this spot under my arm, and I can not remember if it was there or not before.
So, I`m kinda thinking I`ll end up having it taken off. It doesn`t look "weird" or anything.
I just got all freaked out after reading that article.. haha.

ANYWAYS.. I`m not sure where I should have posted this, I put it here since skin and beauty are the same thing.

I wanted some in put on the best "tan in a can" products?

The whole reason I went to a tanning salon was because I had a bad experience with the tan at home stuff when I was in 9th grade. I put on some bronzer and the next day at school, it rained, and my tan ran.. I was all streaky and stuff, it was quite funny. I used Neutrogena that time. I don`t really know whats out there, or what the mehtods are for putting it on is.

So, if anyone knows any good lotions that don`t streak.. or that have a small amount of streaking, I`d love it if you could clue me in on it. Also any tips I`d appreciate.

I tried doing a search on this, and didn`t come up with much..

Posts: 74 | From: TN | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I don't tan as a rule, since I'm practically translucent and covered in suspicious moles, so I'm at high risk for developing melanoma... but I just wanted to quickly comment on getting your spot removed- while you can get moles removed for cosmetic reasons (you'll have to see a dermatologist), be aware that you'd likely have a scar larger than the original spot. Just something to consider [Smile] I've got my share of little flesh colored scars!)

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flossy
Activist
Member # 32169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flossy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked out my other moles just a few minutes ago, and I had one on my back looked at like a year ago. And never actually went back and had it taken off.

So, I saw it tonight, and I`m thinking it really might be bad. I`m not sure.. but, it definately seems to look different than the last time I checked it out.. I`m going to talk to my mom about it when she gets up.

=\

Posts: 74 | From: TN | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it helps, the bad things you need to look for when checking moles can be remembered with the acronym ABCD: Asymmetry (in other words, the mole isn't symmetrical or changes shape), Border (if it has a jagged or non-uniform border), Color (different shades of brown or black in one mole), and Diameter (anything larger than the width of a pencil eraser). If you find those things, then it's worth getting the mole checked out!

(Sorry to hijack your question there [Smile] I just can't help but share my mole-y wisdom lol)

[ 04-05-2007, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazymonkey
Neophyte
Member # 31014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazymonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
leabug couldnt have said it any better. if it is clean and smooth it is less likely to be a cancer mole. if it is rough and dark definately get it checked. if I were you I would go just to be safe
Posts: 28 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flossy
Activist
Member # 32169

Yeah. Well from what I can see this mole looks pink now. Which its on my shoulder blades and kind of hard to see.
I`m going to wait and see what my mom thinks about it.
Haha, and thanks Leabug, I appreciate all the info. [Smile]

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to get a mole removed preventively. Even a benign mole can eventually develop into a something bad. My dad (a licensed surgeon) zaps my moles off with an electric needle. It's a slightly poke-y feeling, but it's way nothing compared to getting my eyebrows waxed. I have one mole left to remove, and it's on my side-boob. I've only held off on it 'cause I feel uncomfortable exposing that part to my dad. I mean, he's my DAD! [Eek!]

Anyway, it's good you took that health message (the strong and virtually indisputable link between tanning beds and skin cancer) to heart. More people should, so I give you big props to seeing the light (pun intended).

If you want a safe can-tan, I recommend Neutrogena tanning foam or spray. Foam is easier to apply and you can see it go on. But spray can give a subtler effect. Or if you still have a tanning salon budget, find a place that does AIRBRUSH tans. You step into a booth and get sprayed down, and a professional does the touch ups. Very nice!

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know: May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month and some hospitals and docs might offer free or reduced skin checks on specified dates; that's definitely worth checking out.

As to self-tans, I'm partial to Dove Summer Glow Lotion: The tan gets builds up over several applications, so it's really forgiving in the streakiness-department.

--------------------
caro

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
November
Activist
Member # 29762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for November     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i went tanning two saturdays in a row and i didn't tan with anything on. i noticed that i have a huge white spot in the shape of a scribbly heart right before my butt crack starts. i don't know what it is, but i decided not to go tanning anymore. even though it's cute and funny, i didn't want to push it.
Posts: 63 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
November, that heart shaped white spot? Quite likely caused by the fold your butt made when you were lying down on the tanning bad and where the uv-rays of the tanning bed hence couldn't reach your skin. Same often happens on the back and in the arm folds. Just noticed the other day that one of my guyfriends actually has white folds all over his neck from tanning. Rather ridiculous, methinks.

Good that you've decided to stop going to the tanning salon: (you've probably heard it before, but here it goes again) It's unhealthy for your skin! If you still want to look tan, Self-Tanners are a much skin-friendlier choice.

--------------------
caro

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flossy
Activist
Member # 32169

Gumdrop Girl I`ve never heard of them being taken off that way. I`ll have to check into that. Because my dad had a mole taken off a few years ago, and I remember them having to numb him with a needle, and cut it out with him being awake, and he almost passed out. Which freaks me out, cause he is so big and it had that affect on him.. lol.

I`m gunna look into getting spray tanned, call around and compare prices and such. I`m also going to head to Wal Mart tomorrow and check out the lotions they have for self tanners.

Anyone have tips for doing your face?

I`ve heard they make wipes and stuff, but I`ve only seen them made by like make up places, that you`d have to order out of a magazine..

I definately appreciate all the information I`ve gotten on this so far. [Smile] You ladies are such a big help.

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just to get a flipside on the mole removal: I had a mole on my inner thigh removed when I was younger - they numbed the area using a shot into the mole, which was totally uncomfortable, but the actual removal was no biggie. Ideally, they should have you sitting/lying down and not looking!)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

I use a similar build-up product made by Nivea.
Seriously, self-tanning is much less of a since then everyone makes it out to be.
It's just as easy to do your face as your body: Just exfoliate beforehand, apply lighty, starting at the areas normally hit by the sun (nose, cheeks, forehead) and wipe the stuff out of your eyebrows to avoid orange eyebrows. [Smile]

--------------------
caro

Flossy
Activist
Member # 32169

I`ll give it a go.
I talked to my mom and she said I could try out a spray tan if I wanted, so I think I might do that.
But, I`m also kind of wanting to test out some of these self tanners as well. [Smile]
Haha.

And I definatelllly do NOT want to see them taking the mole off.. the mere thought of needles makes me want to run and hide. I think I might have one on my chest taken off as well, its kind of on my collar bone, and its kind of big, so I figure if I`m getting one done, might as well get them all. [Smile]

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

There are a few ways of having moles removed... the ways I know of include freezing the area and slicing it off gradually with a scalpel, using a sort of hole-punch to remove the mole and its root (if it's a deep one that comes back after a first removal), and with an electric needle, like Gummy mentioned. None of them hurt, and you never have to watch- you can just shut your eyes! [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

thelorax
Neophyte
Member # 32140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thelorax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
neostrata from canada is amazing
but its expensive

I'm super-pale and wear sunscreen almost every day (the whole an-ounce-of-prevention-is-worth-a-pound of-cure-idea)
I only fake-tan before proms and such, but I have some recommendations:

shave and exfoliate beforehand
and moisturize (cetaphil is excellent), because self-tanner forms streaks on dry patches
also, dilute the self tanner with moisurizer when you use it on your hands and feet or it might turn you orange

Posts: 11 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thelorax
Neophyte
Member # 32140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thelorax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
o and I'm not a big fan of neutrogena's self tanners--I know people who have had good experiences with their build-a-tan stuff though

clarins is good too--but also pricey

makeupalley.com has product reviews

Posts: 11 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flossy
Activist
Member # 32169

Leabug, I didn`t know there was more than one way to take it off. I just thought they sliced it off and that was about your only choice. I`ll ask about what they do at the place I call.

And thanks thelorax, I`ll keep that in mind when I look for lotions, and when I put them on. [Smile]

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

The scalpel method is usually used first when they biopsy the mole, then if it returns, they use the hole-punch method, since it goes deeper. I'm not too sure if you get to choose which method they use- the scalpel and the hole-punch ones, at least, depend on the mole in question. (I don't know a whole lot about the electric needle removal though- that one was news to me! [Smile] )

--------------------
Lea

selina
Activist
Member # 33376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and go easy on the fake tan. the amount of people in my school who overtan is laughable
Posts: 94 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flossy
Activist
Member # 32169

Oh definately. =]

I don`t wanna be like super TAN.. or like orangey looking.

I just don`t want to resemble Casper when I have something on that shows some leg. =]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.