Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Should I just try it again?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I just try it again?
laur12
Neophyte
Member # 32691

Icon 5 posted      Profile for laur12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so first off I will say that my period is really heavy. So, when I get my period and it's at a time wear I would need to use a tampon (like going swimming, going to the beach ..things like that), a regular absorbancy tampon just isn't absorbant enough for my period. I can use regular absorbancy on the lighter days, but on the 2 heaviest days of my period I know I need a strong absorbancy. Here is the problem, I tried to use a super absorbancy tampon once before. I usually have no problem with the regular ones, but with this one I did. When putting it in, it felt a little bigger so it was a little uncomfortable because I wasn't used to that, but no pain. I could deal with that. However, when going to pull it out it hurt SO bad. After that, I just said to myself I don't ever want to do that again! However, times are comming up that I am probably going to have to use a super tampon. For example, tomorrow I leave for spring vacation in the Caribbean, and I am expecting to get my period any time now. I don't want to miss out on the beach because of this! Also, this summer I am going on a teen tour program where if I have my period, I'm going to have to use a super tampon because there will be swimming. Do you think that the only reason it hurt is because I was doing something incorrectly? Should I try again? I thought maybe it hurt because maybe I am just small down there. I'm afraid to try it again because I don't want to feel that pain! Your input would be greatly appreciated!

[ 03-31-2007, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: laur12 ]

Posts: 22 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There really isn't much variation between women in terms of the size of the vaginal canal, so being "too small" for the tampon is not a concern.

Feel free to try again; why not try some different positions while inserting the tampon? You could even lie down, if it makes it easier (that's how I have to use them- not very good for public bathrooms but at home it's a piece of cake [Razz] ). Also, if you have some lube around, you could put a little bit on the end of the applicator- I've found that helps a bit too.

(and just a little side note from my personal experience... I find that the kinds of tampons with the really basic cardboard applicators are the most painful; I've always had an easier time using brands with plastic applicators that have a more rounded tip to them. [Smile] )

[ 03-31-2007, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might even find that tampons without applicators of any kind might be the best. If it's a positioning issue that's causing you problems, it can be easier to get it in the right place just by using your fingers, rather than trying to get it placed right with an applicator. And adding a bit of water-based lube to the tip can help make it easier to get the tampon properly positioned, as well.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible that the tampon hadn't been in long enough and was still pretty dry? That's happened to me before and it was really painful to remove it; felt like there was no moisture left in my vaginal walls to help it slide out. If the tampon was fuller and wetter, I found it much easier to take it out.

Well, that was my first thought when I read your post. Hope it helped, and good luck [Smile]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Whoops, thanks blysse for noticing the other part of laur's problem!! [Smile] )

Just to add, as well- if you do find that the super tampons are often dry when you take them out after they're in for at least a few hours, it may be that the absorbency is actually TOO high, which can increase risks of TSS. So if you find that's a problem, switch to a lower absorbency tampon.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laur12
Neophyte
Member # 32691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laur12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one and only time I tried the super absorbancy tampon I kept it in until it leaked (which was after about 2-3 hours), and when I took it out although it was completely soaked, it was painful. I don't have the pain problem with regular absorbancy! I just don't understand why it is so much more uncomfortable for me. Hmm, well I think the only way I can solve the problem is trying again when I have my period, seeing as I have only tried the super absorbancy one time and that was the only bad experience. I don't know, I guess I will just have to get over it if it hurts because I don't know what else I can do.

[ 04-11-2007, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: laur12 ]

Posts: 22 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laur, have you ever looked into a Divacup or Keeper instead?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katherose
Activist
Member # 22441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katherose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you try a diva cup or keeper, just make sure you follow the instructions. I skipped part of them the first time I tried it, and it was really painful. Now it's all I use, though.

And be careful in the water with your period. There are a fair amount of sharks there.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laur12
Neophyte
Member # 32691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laur12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have heard of diva cups and keepers through this site, but I never really looked into them for me. However, I would be willing to check it out more and consider it. How big is it and how much fluid can it hold? Any information you could give me on them would be great!
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you can get TSS if the tissue inside the vagina gets too dry from a tampon, right? How long would the tampon have to be in for that to happen? I ask because I'm kind of bad about changing tampons when it's a light day, especially if I'm busy, and I always use super or super plus because I don't trust my body not to trick me. (A lot of embarrassing experiences with that in the past. [Wink] )

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TSS isn't exactly about dryness.

TSS is what happens when a common staph bacteria which is in our bodies produces toxins, which tampons can facilitate because of being, effectively, a wad of fibers put into the vagina, they can cause abrasions. When ultra-absorbency tampons are used, or tampons are left in past the time they're supposed to, extra risks are posed because those absrasions or smaller lacertations can be more profound, even though you may not feel them yourself.

So, if you know you're using higher absorbency tampons for too long, simply put, you need to stop doing that. if you don't trust a lighter tampon with leaks, then you can backup by using a thin pad with your tampons instead.

But yeah: Divas can be left in for longer than tampons and don't pose that risk, because they hold flow, rather than abosrbing, so if you want something in that can be left in longer to use alone, that's a better choice.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.