Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » i hate bladder infections

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i hate bladder infections
November
Activist
Member # 29762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for November     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a minor bladder infection and i'm on the generic equivalent of macrobid. i have a couple of questions about it. is it an antibiotic? will it counter my birth control? i'm on nuvaring and i heard because of the method of use, antibiotics are less likely to counter the birth control even though i still won't take the risk without extra birth control methods. last time i had a bladder infection, i got a small yeast infection. do you think it was because of the antibiotics i was on? because i'm afraid i'm going to develop another one after i'm done with my medication.
Posts: 63 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The class of antibiotics used for bladder/urinary tract infections are not an issue when it comes to hormonal BC, no worries.

But per protecting against yeast infections, antibiotics can be a real issue, so the very best thing to do is to take an acidophilus supplement -- or just eat a small vat of diry or soy yogurt with liuve cultures -- daily.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
November
Activist
Member # 29762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for November     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you, that helps a lot!
Posts: 63 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
November
Activist
Member # 29762

that yogurt thing helped a LOT. i'm still keeping track of it though. haha, i was so excited that i downed three cups of yogurt today. thanks for the advice.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just be sure it's the type listed as having live cultures, okay? Lots of mainstream yogurt doesn't have'em.

But otherwise, glad to be of service. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.