Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » compliments

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: compliments
splishysplash
Activist
Member # 32875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for splishysplash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how to take them?
when someone says, you look amazing (someone = my boyfriend) i shy away from it.
do i say thanks, you too?
or thanks [Smile] or what? lol

Posts: 55 | From: miami | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's always a good rule to say, "thank you" when someone compliments you. [Smile]

It can be hard, though, if you're not used to it, to accept a compliment graciously. I know my mom, for example, has a very hard time.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, it's only been over the last few years that I have accepted that "Are you high?" isn't the polite way to respond to a compliment. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heather:
Really, it's only been over the last few years that I have accepted that "Are you high?" isn't the polite way to respond to a compliment. [Smile]

Do you think that's just something that comes with age?

Because I will often reply with "what are you smoking?" or "well, I want some of whatever it is you're on."

I find myself quite hilarious, but I guess hilarious doesn't equal poite. Hmm.

To OP, I always try not to compliment the person back unless I really mean it, because it seems kind of fake, like "oh, you like my hair? Well.... (scan person up and down) your shoes are nice!"

Although if the person is a girl, you could say "your labia are pretty!" I think I'll try that one next time.

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had to work at it with compliments, honestly. Just getting older didn't seem to fix anything for me.

I know I do have an easier time responding to compliments that are based on something I do or have done -- on my abilities, or talents or skills I have purposefully and activly cultivated, what have you, or on clothing I have chosen -- than on something that isn't up to me like what I look like, what my voice sounds like, etc.

I know that for me, some of it was just not liking to be put in any sort of spotlight. I'm very extroverted, but in some ways I'm very shy: I'd rather have sharp focus be on anyone but me, so in some ways, being complimented makes me want to retreat into myself.

But I've gotten pretty good at "Hey, thanks, that's really nice of you to notice!" or "Thank you: that's high priase coming from you," and the like these days.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selkie
Activist
Member # 33078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Selkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a really hard time with compliments.. I was picked on ALOT when I was little, and these days whenever I'm offerd a compliment I really need to restrin myself from thinking they are insulting me in some way or another (about 1/3rd ARE still insults though... 'nother 1/3rd I'm unsure about)

Just say thank you whenever it happens, I know I do it even when someone is insulting me, it really throws them off track.

--------------------
"Fear is the mind-killer"
-Don't be afraid.

Posts: 117 | From: I'd prefer to keep it private | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dirtyMohair
Neophyte
Member # 32008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dirtyMohair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a pretty negative person to myself on the inside more than out, and being picked on a lot [and as well as being uncomfortable alot], it's hard for me to take compliments also. Especially so when a person says it to me next to someone else who makes a comment, "really?"
Posts: 37 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suck at taking compliments...About my work its different though I tend to blush haha. But about myself I always just look at them like there crazy.

When I was a kid I would get mad at my family for telling me my hair looked nice today or something so now we have an inside joke of "oh Elizabeth you look so horrible *giggle*" and that basically means "You look good today" just because its one thing I can handle haha.

Pretty bad to have to diss yourself but I get really blushy and un comfortable when someone says something nice about me. Probably something to do with the years of verbal abuse or something. who knows.

--------------------
Elizabeth

"Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice." -Spinoza

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not good either at taking compliments at all. I often blush and don't quite know what to say. I do say thanks but you know... It's not like I don't like being complimented, it's just that I don't think I always deserve the compliments as much as they think they apply to me, you know what I mean ? Self-esteem issues stuff I guess.

Some people I know know that I don't like being complimented too much so they usually avoids giving me too much compliments.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the hardest thing about accepting compliments is stopping after you say thank you. When someone complimented me, I used to (and still do sometimes, but not nearly as frequently) thank them, and then proceed to tell them all the reasons why they actually shouldn't have bothered complimenting me at all. A little skit, for example purposes:

Person: Hey, I loved your hook for your essay!
Me: Thanks. I wasn't really that happy with it though. I pretty much just BSd it. The idea might have been okay, but the way I phrased it wasn't very good.

Or, even worse:

Person: That shirt is really cute!
Me: Ha! You think so? Well. It doesn't actually fit me that well. And I don't even like this colour, I pretty much just wore it because it was the only thing I had clean. But thank's anyways, I guess...

It also took me some work to get away from the obligatory return compliments. Though I often try to work a small, sincere compliment into the conversation a little bit later, as a subtle little "thank you", I try to never compliment someone directly after they compliment me. It's just so false.

Really the best response to a compliment is a sincere "Thank you", said with enthusiasm more or less equal to that of the compliment. Other acceptable variants include: "Wow, thanks", "That's so sweet of you, thank you so much", "Thank you, that means a lot to me coming from you", or the equivalent of thank you in the non-English language of your choice.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a point to bring up regarding replies to comments is this: When you deflect someone's compliment (assuming it was an appropriate one), you're not just putting yourself down but insulting their taste, too. It may have been a boring old shirt to you/your least favorite work to date/your second choice college, but it means enough to them to compliment you on it. [Smile]
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.